Sign in with
Your question

Lets talk MMORPGs, I want your opinion

Last response: in Video Games
January 30, 2012 4:04:08 PM

i really want to get star wars the old republic but ive never played an mmo before ive always been a console gamer but i want to try other things
January 30, 2012 4:40:58 PM

So...go get it. I think it's excellent. First MMO to completely voice act their mission dialog. Lots of diverse environments, republic/sith factions have mirror classes so you don't have a case where 1 side is somehow unbalanced towards the other side...

It has all the helpers of most other MMOs (quest trackers, world map indicators) so you won't feel too lost when executing your missions.

The dialog system and affection system is unique to MMOs, as well as the companion systems (and how they drive the crafting system).

But, since you haven't played any MMOs, it will be hard to give you any context about the pluses and minuses vs other games of the same genre.

But if you like the idea of the star wars universe, a persistant world, and RPG character development, it is certainly worth your time.
m
l
February 3, 2012 4:42:31 PM

you've got to be careful with an MMO because it may look good like Battlefield Play4Free, but when you get it there maybe major setbacks, like you can only choose one class, one weapon, you can only choose between a sniper, an assault rifle, LMG, or SMG class. You end up downloading above 2GB and then you find out that you don't like the game and you have to uninstall it, and go to the registry to remove all links to it in order to take your computer to back before you installed it.

Another thing is that you might sort of like the game, but some items you have to pay real money for, you might get addicted to it and want to keep spending money on items in the game in a frantic attempt to be better than other people. You'll find out that you are disappointed with just a single weapon that you bought for like $20 dollars and you can't get a refund for it.

If you like MMO's i have to tell you from experience, Need For Speed World is really enjoyable, i only spent £11 on some cars in that and i thought it was about justified.
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2012 4:48:32 PM

Nashsafc said:
Another thing is that you might sort of like the game, but some items you have to pay real money for, you might get addicted to it and want to keep spending money on items in the game in a frantic attempt to be better than other people. You'll find out that you are disappointed with just a single weapon that you bought for like $20 dollars and you can't get a refund for it.

If you like MMO's i have to tell you from experience, Need For Speed World is really enjoyable, i only spent £11 on some cars in that and i thought it was about justified.

This only applies for so called "free to play" MMOs.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a subscription based MMO. So you do not use real world money to purchase in game items.
m
l
February 3, 2012 4:51:09 PM

ATLAS DRAG0N said:
i really want to get star wars the old republic but ive never played an mmo before ive always been a console gamer but i want to try other things

So go play it, but you need to be prepared to pay £10 a month to be able to play. Also MMORPGs are only rewarding if you spend A LOT of time playing.
m
l
February 3, 2012 6:11:58 PM

£10 a month is even worse, at least with an MMO, with all the items available might come to £40, but you will never have to go on paying £10 a month, that's £120 for a year. It's allways much better to pay one off for a game, or at least pay for particular items you want one off.
m
l
February 3, 2012 6:34:43 PM

Nashsafc said:
£10 a month is even worse

Thats how much a lot of MMORPGS cost. If you play a certain MMORPG a lot it isn't actually that bad value.

£120 a year for a subscription of The Old Republic, World of Warcraft etc
or
£120 for 4 new games a year.
m
l
February 3, 2012 10:12:56 PM

Gothams Finest said:
So go play it, but you need to be prepared to pay £10 a month to be able to play. Also MMORPGs are only rewarding if you spend A LOT of time playing.

I'm sorry but i have to disagree with you there. The goal of any game is to have fun. If you turn it into a second job and rush the content you are less likely to stick with it or have much fun. There are countless free to play mmorpgs that cater to different people. Some have pvp and scale their content around it. Some have faction versus faction where you have alot of people fighting at once. Then you have the pve which is more about friendships and grouping.

The pay to play mmorpgs don't generally limit their players while f2p does. A f2p can be cheaper if you spend less then a year subscription but most of the time you end up spending more then that in less then 6 months (and why these companies are able to allow so called f2p ) . So it would depend on play styles on which is cheaper. You want to be one of the best pvpers in a f2p game? It will cost you to get there and to stay there (the premium items are a must then). Do you want to work hard and work your way up? Then a p2p mmorpg is more for you and over all cheaper. It really comes down to what you want from the game and what you want to be able to do in it.

(fyi i'm an mmorpgaholic :o  )
m
l
February 3, 2012 10:31:28 PM

Star Wars The Old Republic is actually a game I would like to play if it was not MMO.

Based on what I've read about the game, SW:TOR is basically a single player game with aspects of MMO thrown in and from what I've read doing MMO objectives is not even necessary to complete the game. Therefore you are paying a monthly fee in order to play SW:TOR in single player campaign mode with the possibility of some MMO action here and there just for the multi-player experience.

In the end, I don't want to dish out $50 (one free month) for the game, then $15 per month to play a single player game. That works out to $215 for the first year. Yes, yes, you get updated content, big deal. If SW:TOR was just a simple single player game and does not need a monthly subscription to play the game, then I would buy the game and any DLCs that I would consider worthwhile.

Perhaps if private servers were to pop up in a few years I would buy the game and play it on those servers, but for now I'll just pass.

m
l
February 4, 2012 1:10:30 AM

By your definition all mmorpgs are single player. >_< And just so you know there is no way to complete a mmorpg. There is always something generally for you to do. Be it getting that next rare drop or beating the new boss or maxing out a skill or spell. And with each new update it makes it that much more difficult to complete anything to 100%.

All mmorpgs have both single player and multiplayer elements. There are some things you can do alone while others require groups and some require raids.
m
l
February 4, 2012 1:21:49 AM

jaguarskx said:

In the end, I don't want to dish out $50 (one free month) for the game, then $15 per month to play a single player game. That works out to $215 for the first year. Yes, yes, you get updated content, big deal. If SW:TOR was just a simple single player game and does not need a monthly subscription to play the game, then I would buy the game and any DLCs that I would consider worthwhile.

I don't know about that. You will have to look pretty hard to get the same amount of content I think. The only game that comes to mind is the complete Dragon Knight saga that probably has 120 hours of content. Perhaps Skyrim does, I haven't played it.

Sadly, most MMOs are on easy mode in solo play, so if you need a challenge and want to play solo MMOs are probably a poor choice.

If you like to explore and such... SWTOR is right up there with the very best. I haven't had this much fun trying to get to places and scale cliffs since Asheron's Call.
m
l
February 4, 2012 1:34:44 AM

Heh i love rpgs and in most cases mmorpgs are like an rpg on steroids lol I've only recently gooten into pc gaming and mainly been on mmorpgs both f2p as well as p2p. I prefer p2p as you are not as limited in what you can do. Although i do solo alot in mmorpgs to learn the game. But once i've mastered the art of dying and equipping myself i generally seek groups.
m
l
February 4, 2012 8:19:35 AM

in my opinion swtor is like one of the better rpgs frpm ps2 days with slightly better graphics. it is a good game, you just have too look past quite a few shortcomings, pay to play being one of them.
m
l
February 4, 2012 3:59:41 PM

zolton33 said:
I'm sorry but i have to disagree with you there. The goal of any game is to have fun. If you turn it into a second job and rush the content you are less likely to stick with it or have much fun.

You missed the point completely.

Quote:
A subsription based MMORPG is only rewarding if you spend A LOT of time playing it.

What I meant by this was, if you are someone who only plays for one or two hours a week, then spending £10 a month is not really good value. Not to mention how long it will take to level up and get anywhere in the game.

To make a subscription based MMMORPG good value you have to play it a lot.

I disagree with your point about rushing the content, a lot of players in WoW rush to level 85 to play end game content, and who can blame them? Leveling up is just mindless grinding and farming. Not exactly fun.

m
l
February 4, 2012 4:25:55 PM

Proximon said:
I don't know about that. You will have to look pretty hard to get the same amount of content I think. The only game that comes to mind is the complete Dragon Knight saga that probably has 120 hours of content. Perhaps Skyrim does, I haven't played it.

Fallout 3 has lots of content with all the DLCs especially if you take into consideration all the community mods. Oblivion probably ranks up there as well, but sadly I got bored of the game... I may for may not buy Skyrim, I'm afraid I might not complete it like Oblivion.

I guess Fallout: New Vegas as lots of content too, but I didn't find it as enjoyable as Fallout 3. I've only played FO:NV once, while I'm currently play Fallout 3 for the 4th time.
m
l
February 4, 2012 9:35:26 PM

Gothams Finest said:
You missed the point completely.

Quote:
A subsription based MMORPG is only rewarding if you spend A LOT of time playing it.

What I meant by this was, if you are someone who only plays for one or two hours a week, then spending £10 a month is not really good value. Not to mention how long it will take to level up and get anywhere in the game.

To make a subscription based MMMORPG good value you have to play it a lot.

I disagree with your point about rushing the content, a lot of players in WoW rush to level 85 to play end game content, and who can blame them? Leveling up is just mindless grinding and farming. Not exactly fun.

A subscription like i said depends on how you play and what your goals are in the game. I've see some players playing in free to play and paying 50.00+ a month to get the advantages to pvp. To that type of player a subscription based would be infinitely cheaper. I do not know anyone that only plays 1-2 hours a week to be honest. If they play like that then a non online game would suit them best.

Rushing to end game content is really bad in my opinion. The fun is in the journey to there not the destination. I've seen people rush to end game content then not only complain that there is not much to do but also they quickly lose interest in the game and quit. Then only return when new content is released. That seriously limits your game play and fun. As opposed to taking your time building friendships and enjoying yourself. Most who rush to end game turn it into a second job and remove the fun element out of it. You reached the end but what is there left for you to do?

You then sit around waiting to either pick up a group or get invited to a raid or look all over to join a guild to ensure you have a group or raid. Almost all end game content is settled primarily around groups and raids. Then you become the low man on the totem pole having to wait for your chance to maybe get a new piece of gear to upgrade only receiving scraps here and there. To me that doesn't sound like much fun. But if it appeals to others by all means.

Not every one plays the same and i know this. So we each have our opinions on whats best and what works. So i can respectfully agree to disagree with you on how to play. That is another beauty of an mmorpg in that we can each play the way we want to. But i do stress that if you are not having fun then maybe its time to change your play style. I never rush to end game personally. I like playing in the lower levels making friends and trying out all the content. But then again if i like a game i can play it easily for 4-12 hours a day. So end game would come far to quickly if i rushed. But that is how i play.
m
l
February 5, 2012 5:45:53 AM

I would say to the op that with this mmorpg they have lied about what textures would be in the game and so any screenies and movies you saw of the game before launch are a waste of time to look at. If possible try to watch a live feed of the game and ask questions of the person or persons playing. I say go to Twitch Tv to do this. I always watch games there before buying something.
m
l
!