Hi I need help urgently my desktop display has moved up towards the right and
over and I seem to have another image appearing over the top down the bottom
which does not allow me to see my start menu or anything. this is becoming
incredibly frustrating and I can't for the life of me remember where else to
go to check after display. I have uninstalled the drivers for drivers for my
new monitor which has been installed and running fine for 4 days. My husband
turned the computer on today and this is what confronted him. I just printed
the screen and it printed fine. HELP PLease I am stumped

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:21D10AA8-276E-43EB-82CE-56F200FD36F0@microsoft.com,
Jobie1 <Jobie1@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi I need help urgently my desktop display has moved up towards the
> right and over and I seem to have another image appearing over the
> top down the bottom which does not allow me to see my start menu or
> anything. this is becoming incredibly frustrating and I can't for the
> life of me remember where else to go to check after display. I have
> uninstalled the drivers for drivers for my new monitor which has been
> installed and running fine for 4 days. My husband turned the computer
> on today and this is what confronted him. I just printed the screen
> and it printed fine. HELP PLease I am stumped

Well, okay, I'm stumped too... What happens if you use the buttons on the
monitor to adjust the screen's placement? What happens if you set the
computer to no background image in the display properties? (To get there
press start > click run > type "control desktop" without the quotes and hit
enter.)

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

The monitor display is not helping, I am wondering if because its a LCD Flat
screen and I have it plugged in to the DVI port if it is having some effect,
but after 4 days I doubt it

I can't get to the buttons or see below connect to on the start menu, that
will give you some idea of how much it is overlapping. I tried no desktop pic
and it made no difference. it is quite bizarre. I am in the process of doing
a complete system virus scan to see if one snuck through by heavily
blockaded defence.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:21D10AA8-276E-43EB-82CE-56F200FD36F0@microsoft.com,
> Jobie1 <Jobie1@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > Hi I need help urgently my desktop display has moved up towards the
> > right and over and I seem to have another image appearing over the
> > top down the bottom which does not allow me to see my start menu or
> > anything. this is becoming incredibly frustrating and I can't for the
> > life of me remember where else to go to check after display. I have
> > uninstalled the drivers for drivers for my new monitor which has been
> > installed and running fine for 4 days. My husband turned the computer
> > on today and this is what confronted him. I just printed the screen
> > and it printed fine. HELP PLease I am stumped
>
> Well, okay, I'm stumped too... What happens if you use the buttons on the
> monitor to adjust the screen's placement? What happens if you set the
> computer to no background image in the display properties? (To get there
> press start > click run > type "control desktop" without the quotes and hit
> enter.)
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Stevem

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

"Jobie1" <Jobie1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The monitor display is not helping, I am wondering if because its a LCD
> Flat
> screen and I have it plugged in to the DVI port if it is having some
> effect,
> but after 4 days I doubt it
>
> I can't get to the buttons or see below connect to on the start menu, that
> will give you some idea of how much it is overlapping. I tried no desktop
> pic
> and it made no difference. it is quite bizarre. I am in the process of
> doing
> a complete system virus scan to see if one snuck through by heavily
> blockaded defence.

Have you checked that the resolution is set correctly? This can mess up an
LCD. Assuming it's a 17" or 19", the resolution should be 1280x1024; 15"
should be 1024x768. You should be able to get at the resolution by
right-clicking on the desktop, then properties, then settings. Refresh rate
should be either 60Hz or 75Hz - but unlikely to be the problem.

Steve.

Yep tried it all. I am sure I have heard of something similar happening to
someone else at some time but I'm buggered if I can remember. I have
unistalled drivers for the new monitor, the video card done to system
restores, run the monitor in both digital and analog, messed with all the
display setting both in windows and on the monitor. Tomorrow I will put the
old monitor back on and see if it makes any difference. problem is I need to
be able to finish typing some documents for a public meeting tomorrow night
and it's driving me nuts.

"stevem" wrote:

> "Jobie1" <Jobie1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The monitor display is not helping, I am wondering if because its a LCD
> > Flat
> > screen and I have it plugged in to the DVI port if it is having some
> > effect,
> > but after 4 days I doubt it
> >
> > I can't get to the buttons or see below connect to on the start menu, that
> > will give you some idea of how much it is overlapping. I tried no desktop
> > pic
> > and it made no difference. it is quite bizarre. I am in the process of
> > doing
> > a complete system virus scan to see if one snuck through by heavily
> > blockaded defence.
> >

> Have you checked that the resolution is set correctly? This can mess up an
> LCD. Assuming it's a 17" or 19", the resolution should be 1280x1024; 15"
> should be 1024x768. You should be able to get at the resolution by
> right-clicking on the desktop, then properties, then settings. Refresh rate
> should be either 60Hz or 75Hz - but unlikely to be the problem.
>
> Steve.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:FD8B0FA2-E867-4976-B847-1121F43E0F9E@microsoft.com,
Jobie1 <Jobie1@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Yep tried it all. I am sure I have heard of something similar
> happening to someone else at some time but I'm buggered if I can
> remember. I have unistalled drivers for the new monitor, the video
> card done to system restores, run the monitor in both digital and
> analog, messed with all the display setting both in windows and on
> the monitor. Tomorrow I will put the old monitor back on and see if
> it makes any difference. problem is I need to be able to finish
> typing some documents for a public meeting tomorrow night and it's
> driving me nuts.

If you can't get to the start menu you can also access the display settings
by right clicking on the desktop and selecting properties but from reading
your answer I'm going to guess you knew that. Either way, does you graphics
card come with software other than the drivers? Like some of the nVidia will
come with "driver helper" software that will give you additional features.
Opening the display settings again, click the settings tab, and then
clicking the advanced tab might have some additional options other than the
normal ones. For instance this one has a special GeForce MX 4000 tab which
has a number of additional features one of which is to adjust the screen
position.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes