Desktop moved up and over

Hi I need help urgently my desktop display has moved up towards the right and
over and I seem to have another image appearing over the top down the bottom
which does not allow me to see my start menu or anything. this is becoming
incredibly frustrating and I can't for the life of me remember where else to
go to check after display. I have uninstalled the drivers for drivers for my
new monitor which has been installed and running fine for 4 days. My husband
turned the computer on today and this is what confronted him. I just printed
the screen and it printed fine. HELP PLease I am stumped
5 answers Last reply
More about desktop moved over

    In news:21D10AA8-276E-43EB-82CE-56F200FD36F0@microsoft.com,
    Jobie1 <Jobie1@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hi I need help urgently my desktop display has moved up towards the
    > right and over and I seem to have another image appearing over the
    > top down the bottom which does not allow me to see my start menu or
    > anything. this is becoming incredibly frustrating and I can't for the
    > life of me remember where else to go to check after display. I have
    > uninstalled the drivers for drivers for my new monitor which has been
    > installed and running fine for 4 days. My husband turned the computer
    > on today and this is what confronted him. I just printed the screen
    > and it printed fine. HELP PLease I am stumped

    Well, okay, I'm stumped too... What happens if you use the buttons on the
    monitor to adjust the screen's placement? What happens if you set the
    computer to no background image in the display properties? (To get there
    press start > click run > type "control desktop" without the quotes and hit
    enter.)

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    The monitor display is not helping, I am wondering if because its a LCD Flat
    screen and I have it plugged in to the DVI port if it is having some effect,
    but after 4 days I doubt it

    I can't get to the buttons or see below connect to on the start menu, that
    will give you some idea of how much it is overlapping. I tried no desktop pic
    and it made no difference. it is quite bizarre. I am in the process of doing
    a complete system virus scan to see if one snuck through by heavily
    blockaded defence.

    "Jobie1" <Jobie1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The monitor display is not helping, I am wondering if because its a LCD
    > Flat
    > screen and I have it plugged in to the DVI port if it is having some
    > effect,
    > but after 4 days I doubt it
    >
    > I can't get to the buttons or see below connect to on the start menu, that
    > will give you some idea of how much it is overlapping. I tried no desktop
    > pic
    > and it made no difference. it is quite bizarre. I am in the process of
    > doing
    > a complete system virus scan to see if one snuck through by heavily
    > blockaded defence.

    Have you checked that the resolution is set correctly? This can mess up an
    LCD. Assuming it's a 17" or 19", the resolution should be 1280x1024; 15"
    should be 1024x768. You should be able to get at the resolution by
    right-clicking on the desktop, then properties, then settings. Refresh rate
    should be either 60Hz or 75Hz - but unlikely to be the problem.

    Steve.

    Yep tried it all. I am sure I have heard of something similar happening to
    someone else at some time but I'm buggered if I can remember. I have
    unistalled drivers for the new monitor, the video card done to system
    restores, run the monitor in both digital and analog, messed with all the
    display setting both in windows and on the monitor. Tomorrow I will put the
    old monitor back on and see if it makes any difference. problem is I need to
    be able to finish typing some documents for a public meeting tomorrow night
    and it's driving me nuts.

    In news:FD8B0FA2-E867-4976-B847-1121F43E0F9E@microsoft.com,
    Jobie1 <Jobie1@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Yep tried it all. I am sure I have heard of something similar
    > happening to someone else at some time but I'm buggered if I can
    > remember. I have unistalled drivers for the new monitor, the video
    > card done to system restores, run the monitor in both digital and
    > analog, messed with all the display setting both in windows and on
    > the monitor. Tomorrow I will put the old monitor back on and see if
    > it makes any difference. problem is I need to be able to finish
    > typing some documents for a public meeting tomorrow night and it's
    > driving me nuts.

    If you can't get to the start menu you can also access the display settings
    by right clicking on the desktop and selecting properties but from reading
    your answer I'm going to guess you knew that. Either way, does you graphics
    card come with software other than the drivers? Like some of the nVidia will
    come with "driver helper" software that will give you additional features.
    Opening the display settings again, click the settings tab, and then
    clicking the advanced tab might have some additional options other than the
    normal ones. For instance this one has a special GeForce MX 4000 tab which
    has a number of additional features one of which is to adjust the screen
    position.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

Desktops Windows XP Displays