EQ2 - Couple questions on Race/alignment/class

Daimajin

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005

Ok,
so I finally broke down and bought it...I hope I will still play EQL :)
Anyways, I really have alot going on at this time of year and I haven't
the time to search for the answers to a few questions I have, so
hopefully they can be answered here for what little time I'll get to
play over the next couple months.

First, I made a barbarian with the intent to make him a Pally or
Crusader I guess. Well it seems my buddies all have evil guys in
Freeport and I'm in Qeynos.

My questions are, Will I be able to hunt with them and if so how long
will it be till I can safely get to them?

Can I ever enter their city ? Do I need to enter a city to ever "train up"?

Can I "betray" Qeynos and become a resident of Freeport and still be a
crusader/pally ( I want the healing/fighting type )?

If anyone has some decent suggestions/answers please let me know.

Thanks

Daimajin <Daimajin@comcast.net> wrote in

> Ok,
> so I finally broke down and bought it...I hope I will still play EQL
> :) Anyways, I really have alot going on at this time of year and I
> haven't the time to search for the answers to a few questions I have,
> so hopefully they can be answered here for what little time I'll get
> to play over the next couple months.
>
> First, I made a barbarian with the intent to make him a Pally or
> Crusader I guess. Well it seems my buddies all have evil guys in
> Freeport and I'm in Qeynos.
>
> My questions are, Will I be able to hunt with them and if so how long
> will it be till I can safely get to them?

I've heard the run thru Nektulous is treacherous, good luck with
that...there are guides that mention a safe way to run thru in either
direction.

> Can I ever enter their city?

Not really, you can go in but if a guard catches you, you are ported
out. Some people have to sneak back in thier old town after betraying
so they can get the stuff out of old apartments, it can be done.

Do I need to enter a city to ever "train
> up"?

You don't need to train in a city but you do need to do certain quests
in order get past certain levels. Those can only be done in your home
town.

> Can I "betray" Qeynos and become a resident of Freeport and still be a
> crusader/pally ( I want the healing/fighting type )?

IIRC, pally is only an option in Qeynos, if you betray (and this must be
done before level 17), you can only be a shadowknight. A bunch of
classes are like that, you don't really have an option if you just grind
away to 20.

> If anyone has some decent suggestions/answers please let me know.
>
> Thanks

You could always re-roll your barb in freeport, they can start in either
town according to the official site.

There are reasons behind why you can't betray your hometown after 20,
don't mean I agree with them but I do know there is a method to the
madness.

>Many thanks for the clarification. If I do re-roll does that mean I
can
>start a Barb ( with the intention of being a pally ) in Freeport? Or
>just an SK

As already stated you can't be a paladin in Freeprot, just a
Shadowknight (the evil equivalent). IIRC Barbarians can start out good
or evil.

>Also I see Ogres as Crusaders...do crusaders get the same type
abilities
>( say healing ) Like pallies. This would be an option for me if so.

A Crusader is what you will be before you do the subclass quest to be a
paladin or shadowknight.

Daimajin

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005

Bebinn wrote:

> You could always re-roll your barb in freeport, they can start in either
> town according to the official site.

Many thanks for the clarification. If I do re-roll does that mean I can
start a Barb ( with the intention of being a pally ) in Freeport? Or
just an SK

Also I see Ogres as Crusaders...do crusaders get the same type abilities
( say healing ) Like pallies. This would be an option for me if so.

Thanks again !

Daimajin

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005

BombayMix wrote:

<snip>

> A Crusader is what you will be before you do the subclass quest to be a
> paladin or shadowknight.

So I guess what I need to do is start off as a Barb in Freeport, then
just before I chose to become a Pally I need to betray my city...I'm
assuming that is how all the Ogre/DE Pallies I see are doing it?

Thanks again!

>BombayMix wrote:
>> A Crusader is what you will be before you do the subclass quest to be a
>> paladin or shadowknight.

Daimajin <Daimajin@comcast.net> wrote:
>So I guess what I need to do is start off as a Barb in Freeport, then
>just before I chose to become a Pally I need to betray my city...I'm
>assuming that is how all the Ogre/DE Pallies I see are doing it?

That's how Ogre and DE pallies do it (and my Ratonga Illusionist ;), but a
barbarian can start in Qeynos and not have to do the betrayal quest. It's a
fun quest if you enjoy it for it's own sake, but if you're doing it just
because you have to, I can imagine it would be very annoying. You need to
kill 500 gnolls, 5 group-required named mobs, and do a lot of running around.

Take a look at the paladin abilities before deciding you want to be one for
non-RP reasons, too. It does not have the healing power that an EQ1 pally
has, though it has some.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

"Daimajin" <Daimajin@comcast.net> wrote in message
> BombayMix wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> A Crusader is what you will be before you do the subclass quest to be a
>> paladin or shadowknight.
>>

> So I guess what I need to do is start off as a Barb in Freeport, then just
> before I chose to become a Pally I need to betray my city...I'm assuming
> that is how all the Ogre/DE Pallies I see are doing it?
>
> Thanks again!

if want to end up with a Barb pally then why start in FP? ... just make him
a good aligned character and start in Qeynos it'll save you doing the
betrayal quest. If you want to stay with your buddies and hunt with them
then you're going to either have to be a shadowknight or wait until you're
high enough level as a pally to hunt in the zones common to both evil and
good races. You can't be a paladin with FP as your home town.

Mal

> Bebinn wrote:
>>
>> You could always re-roll your barb in freeport, they can start in
>> either town according to the official site.
>>

> Many thanks for the clarification. If I do re-roll does that mean I
> can start a Barb ( with the intention of being a pally ) in Freeport?
> Or just an SK
>
> Also I see Ogres as Crusaders...do crusaders get the same type
> abilities ( say healing ) Like pallies. This would be an option for me
> if so.

If you want to play a Paladin, you will have to end up aligned with
Qeynos, not Freeport. It does not matter where you start, if you start
in Freeport, you will need to betray to Qeynos. If you remain with
Freeport, you will be a shadowknight, not a paladin.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar