connect a wired network to an Access Point wirelessly

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2005 3:49:47 PM

Hi NG,

I've a wlan network installed in my home.
The configuration looks like this:
--- wired
))) wireless

--- printer
Internet --- ADSL modem --- D-Link DI-524 --- PC1
))) Laptop

The DI-524 router is configured as Access Point (accepts multiple
wireless connections)
Now I have to connect wirelessly other two computers (one runs Linux);
I have difficulties installing wlan on linux so I thought to wire both
with a switch and then connect the switch wirelessly to the router
(D-Link DI-524).

I've heard of two possibilities for solving my problem:

1) a wireless bridge which connects two wired networks (but in this
case any other wireless connection is cut out, because there's no unit
which acts as bridge and AP simultaneously)

2) a device which acts as wireless client (I noticed the D-Link
DWL-G730AP) connected to the switch by wire and to the router/AP
wirelessly.

But the perfect solution I figure out is to have a device like a switch
which also acts as wireless client to connect to the router/AP. Is
there something like that from D-Link (or also other brands)? I think
it'd be better than solution 2 (only one device instead of
switch+client).

Thanks in advance!

Christian
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2005 3:56:42 PM

sorry! formattation has been messed up in the little scheme

the router is connected to Internet through WAN port
printer and PC1 are wired to the router
Laptop connects wirelessly
August 26, 2005 12:39:28 PM

<rader@inwind.it> wrote in message

> 1) a wireless bridge which connects two wired networks (but in this
> case any other wireless connection is cut out, because there's no unit
> which acts as bridge and AP simultaneously)

The two routers need to be the same model and support WDS.

> 2) a device which acts as wireless client (I noticed the D-Link
> DWL-G730AP) connected to the switch by wire and to the router/AP
> wirelessly.

Maybe. Linux is funky about this stuff. You'd think once the G730 was
configured as a client the Linux box would just see it as an Ethernet card,
but that's not always true. In fact, I've never gotten any of them to work
in Linux.

> But the perfect solution I figure out is to have a device like a switch
> which also acts as wireless client to connect to the router/AP. Is
> there something like that from D-Link (or also other brands)? I think
> it'd be better than solution 2 (only one device instead of
> switch+client).

Something that acts like the G730 (like an Ethernet card that works in
wireless mode) and can act as an AP for other computers at the same time?
No.

By the way, not sure if you know this already, but all the G730 is really
just an AP that is set to use WDS.