roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
Building my first system (DFI Lanparty UT nF4 U-D, 3200+, Antec P160 case, ...) and am still confused by cooling. Want to keep the system as quiet as possible. Think that I need two (2) 120-mm case fans (one in front and one in back) and a 92-mm fan (along with Thermalright XP-90)for the CPU. But what fans?
Again, keeping in mind that silence is critically important, I was thinking about 2 Panaflo FBA12G12M1A and a FBA09A12M1A. Was not sure if the L1A models would push enough air? What do you think?
Do the M1 models come in a BX (speed (and noise) varies based on sensor of heat)? This would seem to be the best solution. I know that the H1 models do come in a BX version but they seem too loud at maximum speed (and I am not sure that I have read what noise level they produce at lower speeds--also do no know what the minimum and midlevel speeds even are). Not sure that I have seen M1 models in a BX version.
My power supply has "3 speed variable fan speed control" but if I understand correctly the M1A models are 2-pin fans and will not adjust speed even if I could figure out how to connect them directly to the power supply (which I do not know how to do yet) rather than the mobo. Is this true?
Does the fan depth matter (25mm vs. 38mm)?
Are there better choices than the Panaflo's (at a reasonable cost that is)??
Where do you purchase your fans?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
38mm fans move more air. The slowest speed Panaflows will likely be sufficient. Most power supplies use 2-pin fans, even many that control fan speed (they vary fan voltage using an internal heat sensor, it has nothing to do with speed detection).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I got my panaflo fans at <A HREF="http://www.frozencpu.com/" target="_new">FrozenCPU.com</A>. They have quite a few of their fans including the bx series.
The third wire on fans is simply for an rpm readout. You can do what ever you want with the fan with out it(speed adjustment, etc) you just won't be able to see the rpms. The speed control the psu is talking about is probably for its own fans, not ones you connect to it. You can hook up any fan to the leads comming off a psu. If your fans use a 3pin connection you will need a molex to 3pin adaptor.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>