Old computer space game HELP title!

Hi. I am looking for an old computer game that I played when I was a little kid and I remember very clearly that it was a space game and the atmosphere of the game was dark and gloomy. I was in control of a space ship and I do not remember clearly the object of the game because i was little and couldnt figure out what i had to do in the game at that age. But the atmosphere was thunderous and it was raining hard. I want to say that I vaguely remember there sounding something like 'hylander' in the title. I believe it might have been an XNA game. The OS was no further than windows 98. It was a demo, so this was the only level there was to play. This was a rad game and one of my first so it stuck with me. Can you please help? Thanks.
19 answers Last reply
More about computer space game title
  1. freelancer?
  2. Get out of my face AntiZig! Right now!! lol jk no that one is definitely not it. That was way better than this game. Thanks anyway =D
  3. Any idea of how many years ago (based on your age)? Sounds like the opening of Prey, but back in the days of 98 (which lasted longer cuz ME was to be avoided, so harder to place the time period) I was playing games like Maelestrom and Escape Velocity on Macintosh. When you were in control of the spaceship (rain in space?), flying around, or was it a click-adventure game like The Dig?
  4. yeah, rain in space is what has me confused
  5. AntiZig said:
    yeah, rain in space is what has me confused


    At least it has me waxing nostalgic ^_^
    Btw, if you liked freelancer, have you tried Galaxy on Fire? I'm not sure if there's a windows version, but it was made for tablets/smartphones and a spec'd up version was released for Mac OS X. Very fun!
  6. The only thing i can think of is Master of Orion :/
  7. http://spacesimcentral.com/ have a look here they may have it...
    http://spacesimcentral.com/?page_id=336 here in particular.
  8. Homeworld?
  9. Could use a bit more information, what you've provided for us is rather vague. Was controlling the spaceship the main part of the game, or was it like a mini-game within the game itself?
  10. AntiZig said:
    freelancer?

    Just saying, I noticed a site called gog.com, and they have freeverse 1 & 2 for sale to download, along with a bunch of other oldies. Freelancer 2 is like ten bucks! Makes me want to download Wine for my Mac...

    Another guess at the OP's game... Maybe Descent? That's like a spaceship, but it's on a planet, and there was certainly a lot of thunder going on!
  11. afaik, there's only freelancer. never seen freelancer 2
  12. Err, freeSPACE 2, I was too tired to remember correctly. It was a descendant of Descent. And descent had that blue ball with lightning crackling over it as their logo, so I imagine Lightning must've been involved in a demo's intro cinematic.
  13. freelancer 2 was gonna be released but got canned at the last minute... shame really as the first 1 is a classic.
  14. HEXiT said:
    freelancer 2 was gonna be released but got canned at the last minute... shame really as the first 1 is a classic.

    Yeah, I remember a friend showing it to me back in our freshman year of highschool, I think. We are long due a new starfighter sim, freelancer 2 would be great! So would Shenmue 3... >_<
  15. Evshrug said:
    Yeah, I remember a friend showing it to me back in our freshman year of highschool, I think. We are long due a new starfighter sim, freelancer 2 would be great! So would Shenmue 3... >_<

    T.T < that's how I feel every time shenmue 3 is mentioned

    I have to agree that freelancer is simply majestic game. I only played it for the first time in 2011, but hell, that game was amazing even for 2011.
  16. AntiZig said:
    T.T < that's how I feel every time shenmue 3 is mentioned

    I have to agree that freelancer is simply majestic game. I only played it for the first time in 2011, but hell, that game was amazing even for 2011.

    Sorry for bringing it up... It made a huge impact on my young adult life. So it pops into my mind a lot. Doesn't help that Yu Suzuki keeps dropping hints and hope. Even in this interview from January this year: http://www.gamesradar.com/first-shenmue-iii-plot-details-revealed/

    And I'll be honest, I'd feel way better playing a gorgeous game set in the 80's (the first game was set in my birth year!) that features some detective work, physical discipline, interesting cultures and mythology, interesting plot, and everything that defines Shenmue than, say, hijacking cars and getting sucked into a life of crime. So, antiZig, I send you a toy capsule filled with understanding sympathy.

    Most grueling cliffhanger ever.
  17. Regarding the OP's mystery game, I PLAYED IT AS A KID TOO and I can't find the damned games name anywhere on the internet either :cry:

    It's been driving me nuts for months now... But to clarify some things. It is very similiar to Descent, but takes place outdoors (raining) and the environment is very dark and gloomy and you fly your ship above/around/into various mountains and caverns in a wide open 'free-roam-esque' level. I too only played the demo. The time frame is roughly 1996.

    The enemies were mostly robots or drones if i recall correctly. There may or may not have been an option to 'display' the pilot's hand and joystick on the cockpit overlay, if that makes sense.

    As far as the OP mentioning "hylander" or highlander as being similar to the title, i can't say for certain because i can't remember anything about the title of the game. Just that it was a demo and that I loved playing it.

    I'd love to finally figure out which game I should be hunting down on eBay...
  18. HEXiT said:
    http://spacesimcentral.com/ have a look here they may have it...
    http://spacesimcentral.com/?page_id=336 here in particular.



    Hellbender! :) Sweet, I originally skimmed past your link apparently thinking it was spam, but I'm glad I re-read it. I'm pretty certain it was Hellbender.
  19. AerintheGREAT said:
    Regarding the OP's mystery game, I PLAYED IT AS A KID TOO and I can't find the damned games name anywhere on the internet either :cry:

    It's been driving me nuts for months now... But to clarify some things. It is very similiar to Descent, but takes place outdoors (raining) and the environment is very dark and gloomy and you fly your ship above/around/into various mountains and caverns in a wide open 'free-roam-esque' level. I too only played the demo. The time frame is roughly 1996.

    The enemies were mostly robots or drones if i recall correctly. There may or may not have been an option to 'display' the pilot's hand and joystick on the cockpit overlay, if that makes sense.

    As far as the OP mentioning "hylander" or highlander as being similar to the title, i can't say for certain because i can't remember anything about the title of the game. Just that it was a demo and that I loved playing it.

    I'd love to finally figure out which game I should be hunting down on eBay...


    YOU ARE THINKING OF TERMINAL VELOCITY AND THANKS FOR REMINDING ME!
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Games Computers Video Games