CD ROM and DVD ROM access missing

June 14, 2005 2:25:01 PM

After removing Musicmatch from my computer I cannot access my CD or DVD
drives. I've read (Microsoft Knowledge Base) that after removing CD writing
programs that this sometimes happens and that some changes need to be made in
the registry. It is stressed that a backup of the registry should be made
before making any changes to the registry . . . AT YOU OWN RISK. My question
is - how big is the registry - can I backup to a floppy or USB Flash drive or
should I put the backup on my hard drive? Also, if there is a problem with
the registry now, would it be silly to back up a registry that is not
correct? I am running XP Home Edition - "Backup" is supposedly on my XP CD
but I'm not able to use CD drive! Any info would be appreciated!!
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:49:55 PM

Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.h...

Restore Missing CD Drive
http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

[[The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device
Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and
Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This
patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third
party package still required will then have to be re-installed. ]]
http://aumha.org/reg3.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:BFFE123F-6727-4A20-817E-66E1D142EE4C@microsoft.com,
mikejanj <mikejanj@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> After removing Musicmatch from my computer I cannot access my CD or DVD
> drives. I've read (Microsoft Knowledge Base) that after removing CD
> writing programs that this sometimes happens and that some changes need
> to be made in the registry. It is stressed that a backup of the registry
> should be made before making any changes to the registry . . . AT YOU OWN
> RISK. My question is - how big is the registry - can I backup to a
> floppy or USB Flash drive or should I put the backup on my hard drive?
> Also, if there is a problem with the registry now, would it be silly to
> back up a registry that is not correct? I am running XP Home Edition -
> "Backup" is supposedly on my XP CD but I'm not able to use CD drive! Any
> info would be appreciated!!
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:01:35 PM

Hi / Bonjour *mikejanj* :

> After removing Musicmatch from my computer I cannot access my CD or DVD
> drives. I've read (Microsoft Knowledge Base) that after removing CD writing
> programs that this sometimes happens and that some changes need to be made in
> the registry. It is stressed that a backup of the registry should be made
> before making any changes to the registry . . . AT YOU OWN RISK. My question
> is - how big is the registry - can I backup to a floppy or USB Flash drive or
> should I put the backup on my hard drive? Also, if there is a problem with
> the registry now, would it be silly to back up a registry that is not
> correct? I am running XP Home Edition - "Backup" is supposedly on my XP CD
> but I'm not able to use CD drive! Any info would be appreciated!!

1- For CD drives you can find many informations and fixes at Kelly's Korner:

2- Be very carefull with the registry...

To backup the registry (partial or complete)

a) used the export function in the registry editor but
as you guess it's a limitated function.
*It's impossible to make a full backup with this*
*Somes keys are unaccessible even by the Adminstrator...*

b) NTbackup : *BUT* Ntbackup can't write directly to the CD drive
can't compressed data
can't deal with multiple CDs
backup the "system state" with many other stuff like MS Games (yes...)
By a (stupid) design...

HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302894
or
VALUEADD and SUPPORT Folders Are Not Included on OEM CD-ROMs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311246

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255

Want to buy a tape backup ? ;-)

c) use REGBACK and REGREST from the Resource Kit
and you have to pay ... $$$

d) Use ERUNT from Lars Hederer (may be the best off all and free...)

Read the documentation ...
This tool do not allow to forget the care with the registry...

3- For the future, to avoid those problems I suggest you
to install and uninstall every programs (and "tweaks"...)
with a tool such as Total Uninstall.

I'm using the free edition (2.34 or now 2.35) since years and avoid a lot of headache :)

From the author's site : www.martau.com or from any good dowloding site
like Major Geek...

4- If you look for better solution than NTBackup may be:
Cobian Backup
http://www.cobian.se/

Hope this help.

Let us know.
:)
--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on www.msmvps.com
Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com
June 14, 2005 10:48:06 PM

The CDGONE did the trick! My CD and DVD drives are now accessible. Thank
you for your assistance!

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.h...
>
> Restore Missing CD Drive
> http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
>
> [[The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device
> Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and
> Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This
> patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third
> party package still required will then have to be re-installed. ]]
> http://aumha.org/reg3.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:BFFE123F-6727-4A20-817E-66E1D142EE4C@microsoft.com,
> mikejanj <mikejanj@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > After removing Musicmatch from my computer I cannot access my CD or DVD
> > drives. I've read (Microsoft Knowledge Base) that after removing CD
> > writing programs that this sometimes happens and that some changes need
> > to be made in the registry. It is stressed that a backup of the registry
> > should be made before making any changes to the registry . . . AT YOU OWN
> > RISK. My question is - how big is the registry - can I backup to a
> > floppy or USB Flash drive or should I put the backup on my hard drive?
> > Also, if there is a problem with the registry now, would it be silly to
> > back up a registry that is not correct? I am running XP Home Edition -
> > "Backup" is supposedly on my XP CD but I'm not able to use CD drive! Any
> > info would be appreciated!!

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:16:21 AM

Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5B8F823C-3C16-4B58-BEE5-8930699E130E@microsoft.com,
mikejanj <mikejanj@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> The CDGONE did the trick! My CD and DVD drives are now accessible. Thank
> you for your assistance!
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.h...
>>
>> Restore Missing CD Drive
>> http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
>>
>> [[The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer,
>> Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been
>> uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules aren’t
>> removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the
>> missing drives. Any third
>> party package still required will then have to be re-installed. ]]
>> http://aumha.org/reg3.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:BFFE123F-6727-4A20-817E-66E1D142EE4C@microsoft.com,
>> mikejanj <mikejanj@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> After removing Musicmatch from my computer I cannot access my CD or DVD
>>> drives. I've read (Microsoft Knowledge Base) that after removing CD
>>> writing programs that this sometimes happens and that some changes need
>>> to be made in the registry. It is stressed that a backup of the
>>> registry should be made before making any changes to the registry . . .
>>> AT YOU OWN RISK. My question is - how big is the registry - can I
>>> backup to a floppy or USB Flash drive or should I put the backup on my
>>> hard drive? Also, if there is a problem with the registry now, would it
>>> be silly to back up a registry that is not correct? I am running XP
>>> Home Edition - "Backup" is supposedly on my XP CD but I'm not able to
>>> use CD drive! Any info would be appreciated!!
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 7:40:09 AM

Claude LaFrenière Wrote:
> [...]
>
> Read the documentation ...
> This tool do not allow to forget the care with the registry...
>
> 3- For the future, to avoid those problems I suggest you
> to install and uninstall every programs (and "tweaks"...)
> with a tool such as Total Uninstall.
>
> I'm using the free edition (2.34 or now 2.35) since years and avoid a
> lot of headache :)
>
> From the author's site : www.martau.com or from any good dowloding
> site
> like Major Geek...
>
> 4- If you look for better solution than NTBackup may be:
> Cobian Backup
> http://www.cobian.se/
>
> Hope this help.
>
> Let us know.
> :)
> --
> Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)
>
> «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»

Thanks a lot for the help here. I can now see both my CD and DVD..

CD-Rom or DVD Disappeared

Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the
following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to the branch indicated above,
locate the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Right click each and
select Delete.

If you desire, you can right click on the {4D36E965..........} branch
and select Export. This will create a REG file that can be re-imported
should you find a need to.

You may also want to delete the following 4 Registry keys, as per the
instructions above:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr

Or apply this manual edit: Save the file below to your hard drive.
Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file. A
confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need
to reboot for the change to take effect.

This is what I did to get it back to work again. Thanks for the link
again.. I really appreciate it much....

--
mooker
!