CD ROM and DVD ROM access missing

After removing Musicmatch from my computer I cannot access my CD or DVD
drives. I've read (Microsoft Knowledge Base) that after removing CD writing
programs that this sometimes happens and that some changes need to be made in
the registry. It is stressed that a backup of the registry should be made
before making any changes to the registry . . . AT YOU OWN RISK. My question
is - how big is the registry - can I backup to a floppy or USB Flash drive or
should I put the backup on my hard drive? Also, if there is a problem with
the registry now, would it be silly to back up a registry that is not
correct? I am running XP Home Edition - "Backup" is supposedly on my XP CD
but I'm not able to use CD drive! Any info would be appreciated!!
5 answers Last reply
More about access missing

    Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

    Restore Missing CD Drive
    http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

    [[The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device
    Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and
    Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This
    patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third
    party package still required will then have to be re-installed. ]]
    http://aumha.org/reg3.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:BFFE123F-6727-4A20-817E-66E1D142EE4C@microsoft.com,
    mikejanj <mikejanj@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > After removing Musicmatch from my computer I cannot access my CD or DVD
    > drives. I've read (Microsoft Knowledge Base) that after removing CD
    > writing programs that this sometimes happens and that some changes need
    > to be made in the registry. It is stressed that a backup of the registry
    > should be made before making any changes to the registry . . . AT YOU OWN
    > RISK. My question is - how big is the registry - can I backup to a
    > floppy or USB Flash drive or should I put the backup on my hard drive?
    > Also, if there is a problem with the registry now, would it be silly to
    > back up a registry that is not correct? I am running XP Home Edition -
    > "Backup" is supposedly on my XP CD but I'm not able to use CD drive! Any
    > info would be appreciated!!

    Hi / Bonjour *mikejanj* :

    > After removing Musicmatch from my computer I cannot access my CD or DVD
    > drives. I've read (Microsoft Knowledge Base) that after removing CD writing
    > programs that this sometimes happens and that some changes need to be made in
    > the registry. It is stressed that a backup of the registry should be made
    > before making any changes to the registry . . . AT YOU OWN RISK. My question
    > is - how big is the registry - can I backup to a floppy or USB Flash drive or
    > should I put the backup on my hard drive? Also, if there is a problem with
    > the registry now, would it be silly to back up a registry that is not
    > correct? I am running XP Home Edition - "Backup" is supposedly on my XP CD
    > but I'm not able to use CD drive! Any info would be appreciated!!

    1- For CD drives you can find many informations and fixes at Kelly's Korner:

    2- Be very carefull with the registry...

    To backup the registry (partial or complete)

    a) used the export function in the registry editor but
    as you guess it's a limitated function.
    *It's impossible to make a full backup with this*
    *Somes keys are unaccessible even by the Adminstrator...*

    b) NTbackup : *BUT* Ntbackup can't write directly to the CD drive
    can't compressed data
    can't deal with multiple CDs
    backup the "system state" with many other stuff like MS Games (yes...)
    By a (stupid) design...

    HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302894
    or
    VALUEADD and SUPPORT Folders Are Not Included on OEM CD-ROMs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311246

    Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255

    Want to buy a tape backup ? ;-)

    c) use REGBACK and REGREST from the Resource Kit
    and you have to pay ... $$$

    d) Use ERUNT from Lars Hederer (may be the best off all and free...)

    Read the documentation ...
    This tool do not allow to forget the care with the registry...

    3- For the future, to avoid those problems I suggest you
    to install and uninstall every programs (and "tweaks"...)
    with a tool such as Total Uninstall.

    I'm using the free edition (2.34 or now 2.35) since years and avoid a lot of headache :)

    From the author's site : www.martau.com or from any good dowloding site
    like Major Geek...

    4- If you look for better solution than NTBackup may be:
    Cobian Backup
    http://www.cobian.se/

    Hope this help.

    Let us know.
    :)
    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net
    Soon on www.msmvps.com
    Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

    The CDGONE did the trick! My CD and DVD drives are now accessible. Thank
    you for your assistance!

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm
    >
    > Restore Missing CD Drive
    > http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
    >
    > [[The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device
    > Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and
    > Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This
    > patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third
    > party package still required will then have to be re-installed. ]]
    > http://aumha.org/reg3.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:BFFE123F-6727-4A20-817E-66E1D142EE4C@microsoft.com,
    > mikejanj <mikejanj@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > After removing Musicmatch from my computer I cannot access my CD or DVD
    > > drives. I've read (Microsoft Knowledge Base) that after removing CD
    > > writing programs that this sometimes happens and that some changes need
    > > to be made in the registry. It is stressed that a backup of the registry
    > > should be made before making any changes to the registry . . . AT YOU OWN
    > > RISK. My question is - how big is the registry - can I backup to a
    > > floppy or USB Flash drive or should I put the backup on my hard drive?
    > > Also, if there is a problem with the registry now, would it be silly to
    > > back up a registry that is not correct? I am running XP Home Edition -
    > > "Backup" is supposedly on my XP CD but I'm not able to use CD drive! Any
    > > info would be appreciated!!

    Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:5B8F823C-3C16-4B58-BEE5-8930699E130E@microsoft.com,

    Claude LaFrenière Wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > Read the documentation ...
    > This tool do not allow to forget the care with the registry...
    >
    > 3- For the future, to avoid those problems I suggest you
    > to install and uninstall every programs (and "tweaks"...)
    > with a tool such as Total Uninstall.
    >
    > I'm using the free edition (2.34 or now 2.35) since years and avoid a
    > lot of headache :)
    >
    > From the author's site : www.martau.com or from any good dowloding
    > site
    > like Major Geek...
    >
    > 4- If you look for better solution than NTBackup may be:
    > Cobian Backup
    > http://www.cobian.se/
    >
    > Hope this help.
    >
    > Let us know.
    > :)
    > --
    > Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)
    >
    > «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»

    Thanks a lot for the help here. I can now see both my CD and DVD..

    CD-Rom or DVD Disappeared

    Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the
    following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to the branch indicated above,
    locate the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Right click each and
    select Delete.

    If you desire, you can right click on the {4D36E965..........} branch
    and select Export. This will create a REG file that can be re-imported
    should you find a need to.

    You may also want to delete the following 4 Registry keys, as per the
    instructions above:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr

    Or apply this manual edit: Save the file below to your hard drive.
    Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file. A
    confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need
    to reboot for the change to take effect.

    This is what I did to get it back to work again. Thanks for the link
    again.. I really appreciate it much....

    --
    mooker

Backup Registry CD-Rom Windows XP