Cannot Boot from XP disc

I'm trying to reformat my computer (something I've tried to do every year of
this computer - 3rd time now) and running into problems.

1st: tried to boot from disc and this is what goes down:

- screen prompt: "press any key to boot from CD" - I press 'return'
- blue screen, "Windows Setup"
- runs through loading this and that
- Then I get this:
"File viaide.sys caused an unexpected error (12800) at line 5882 in
d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c."

Then this option is done.

I also tried loading XP disc and pressing the "Install Windows XP" option.
This resulted in a message that I cannot install the disc version of XP
because it is older than the version I'm running.

Please help me. I use this particular computer daily for work and would
like it to be up and running at peak performance.

thank you
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot boot disc

    blue agave wrote:
    > I'm trying to reformat my computer (something I've tried to do every
    > year of this computer - 3rd time now) and running into problems.
    >
    > 1st: tried to boot from disc and this is what goes down:
    >
    > - screen prompt: "press any key to boot from CD" - I press 'return'
    > - blue screen, "Windows Setup"
    > - runs through loading this and that
    > - Then I get this:
    > "File viaide.sys caused an unexpected error (12800) at line 5882 in
    > d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c."
    >
    > Then this option is done.
    >
    > I also tried loading XP disc and pressing the "Install Windows XP"
    > option. This resulted in a message that I cannot install the disc
    > version of XP because it is older than the version I'm running.
    >
    > Please help me. I use this particular computer daily for work and
    > would like it to be up and running at peak performance.
    >
    > thank you
    This is not a complete answer,but it might lead you somewhere to one,sorry.
    viaide.sys has something to do with your opical drive.

    > I also tried loading XP disc and pressing the "Install Windows XP"
    > option. This resulted in a message that I cannot install the disc
    > version of XP because it is older than the version I'm running.

    You installed service pack2 and your disc has SP1 or just XP on it

    Good luck! I know this wasn't much help but hey it was something.
    --
    Mike Pawlak

    There is no necessity to re-format yearly.. XP has native tools that work
    well enough, and for spyware and similar issues, free tools are available on
    the internet..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "blue agave" <blue agave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to reformat my computer (something I've tried to do every year
    > of
    > this computer - 3rd time now) and running into problems.
    >
    > 1st: tried to boot from disc and this is what goes down:
    >
    > - screen prompt: "press any key to boot from CD" - I press 'return'
    > - blue screen, "Windows Setup"
    > - runs through loading this and that
    > - Then I get this:
    > "File viaide.sys caused an unexpected error (12800) at line 5882 in
    > d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c."
    >
    > Then this option is done.
    >
    > I also tried loading XP disc and pressing the "Install Windows XP" option.
    > This resulted in a message that I cannot install the disc version of XP
    > because it is older than the version I'm running.
    >
    > Please help me. I use this particular computer daily for work and would
    > like it to be up and running at peak performance.
    >
    > thank you

Computers Boot Windows XP