Cannot Boot from XP disc

June 15, 2005 7:10:01 AM

I'm trying to reformat my computer (something I've tried to do every year of
this computer - 3rd time now) and running into problems.

1st: tried to boot from disc and this is what goes down:

- screen prompt: "press any key to boot from CD" - I press 'return'
- blue screen, "Windows Setup"
- runs through loading this and that
- Then I get this:
"File viaide.sys caused an unexpected error (12800) at line 5882 in
d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c."

Then this option is done.

I also tried loading XP disc and pressing the "Install Windows XP" option.
This resulted in a message that I cannot install the disc version of XP
because it is older than the version I'm running.

Please help me. I use this particular computer daily for work and would
like it to be up and running at peak performance.

thank you

More about : boot disc

June 15, 2005 12:10:07 PM

blue agave wrote:
> I'm trying to reformat my computer (something I've tried to do every
> year of this computer - 3rd time now) and running into problems.
>
> 1st: tried to boot from disc and this is what goes down:
>
> - screen prompt: "press any key to boot from CD" - I press 'return'
> - blue screen, "Windows Setup"
> - runs through loading this and that
> - Then I get this:
> "File viaide.sys caused an unexpected error (12800) at line 5882 in
> d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c."
>
> Then this option is done.
>
> I also tried loading XP disc and pressing the "Install Windows XP"
> option. This resulted in a message that I cannot install the disc
> version of XP because it is older than the version I'm running.
>
> Please help me. I use this particular computer daily for work and
> would like it to be up and running at peak performance.
>
> thank you
This is not a complete answer,but it might lead you somewhere to one,sorry.
viaide.sys has something to do with your opical drive.

> I also tried loading XP disc and pressing the "Install Windows XP"
> option. This resulted in a message that I cannot install the disc
> version of XP because it is older than the version I'm running.

You installed service pack2 and your disc has SP1 or just XP on it

Good luck! I know this wasn't much help but hey it was something.
--
Mike Pawlak
Anonymous

There is no necessity to re-format yearly.. XP has native tools that work
well enough, and for spyware and similar issues, free tools are available on
the internet..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User