I recently updated a HP EVO D510 with pending updates and SP2. OS is XP Pro.
All identified driver updates installed as well.
Strange problems after installation(s):
(1) Norton AV-Auto Protect was disabled. When I try to enable, receive the
following Script Error:
Line: 896
Char: 5
Error: Unspecified Error
Code: 0
All other functions work fine. Nothing (I can find) on MSFT or Symantec web
sites for this problem. Norton AV was on during SP2 installation.
(2) Outlook: When I open Outlook, I get the following error message:
"Microsoft Word is set to be your email editor. However, Word is
unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as Outlook. The
Outlook email editor will be used instead. You don't have appropriate
permission to perform this operation."
Installed program(s) is Office Standard with Word 2003, Outlook 2003. I have
Administrator rights and log in as such.
(3) InstallShield: I tried to install an application and received the
following InstallShield error: "The InstallShield engine (ikernel.exe) could
not be launched. Access is denied." I have Administrator rights and log in
as such.
(4) Search function: START|SEARCH "For Files or Folders" or "On the
Internet" do not respond. Other 3 work fine.
(5) Closing apps: I have a couple of apps which to not respond to File|Exit
or ALT+F4. I have to use the Task Manager to close them.
Are there settings which might have been changed/corrupted in the SP2
installation process? This machine had not been updated in some time and
required almost 20 KB updates as well as SP2.
Any help in sourcing help or troubleshooting would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Hi / Bonjour *Lorne* :

> I recently updated a HP EVO D510 with pending updates and SP2. OS is XP Pro.
> All identified driver updates installed as well.
> Strange problems after installation(s):
> (1) Norton AV-Auto Protect was disabled. When I try to enable, receive the
> following Script Error:
> Line: 896
> Char: 5
> Error: Unspecified Error
> Code: 0
> All other functions work fine. Nothing (I can find) on MSFT or Symantec web
> sites for this problem. Norton AV was on during SP2 installation.

Did Norton AV was updated for sp2 ?

Try to register this DLL that way :

Start | Run | regsvr32.exe NAVUI.dll

Please note that "Auto-protect" is the most important function
of your anti-virus ( the "on access" protection...)

> (2) Outlook: When I open Outlook, I get the following error message:
> "Microsoft Word is set to be your email editor. However, Word is
> unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as Outlook. The
> Outlook email editor will be used instead. You don't have appropriate
> permission to perform this operation."

Permissions suddenly modified... strange.

> Installed program(s) is Office Standard with Word 2003, Outlook 2003. I have
> Administrator rights and log in as such.
> (3) InstallShield: I tried to install an application and received the
> following InstallShield error: "The InstallShield engine (ikernel.exe) could
> not be launched. Access is denied." I have Administrator rights and log in
> as such.

Same problem than the previous one...

> (4) Search function: START|SEARCH "For Files or Folders" or "On the
> Internet" do not respond. Other 3 work fine.

Search won't work...

> (5) Closing apps: I have a couple of apps which to not respond to File|Exit
> or ALT+F4. I have to use the Task Manager to close them.

I'm not sure but all those problems looks like a virus infection:
permission changed
search won't work
AV on access protection disabled...

Sounds bad :-(

> Are there settings which might have been changed/corrupted in the SP2
> installation process? This machine had not been updated in some time and
> required almost 20 KB updates as well as SP2.

Normally a system with no problem before the upgrade to sp2 have no
problem.SP2 act as a "revelator" of existing problems...

In the case of your computer it seems there is a coincidence of the upgarde
and a (suspected) infection with some malwares...

> Any help in sourcing help or troubleshooting would be very much appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.

Try this :

1- When you upgrade top sp2 the installation program create a restore point
before. You can try to return to this previous point and see if there is a
difference. (You can canceled this "roll back" too.)

2- Any security software are reliable at 100% :
double check with those tools:

"Mini- antivirus" to be runned in safe mode:

Stinger :
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
Avast cleaner :
MS:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=fr
Kaspersky:
ftp://ftp.kaspersky.ru/utils/clrav.com
Anti Root-Kits
F-Secure (beta)
http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

Online scan:

Anti-trojan:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/
Anti-spy:
http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_onlinescan.html
http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=FindOutWhosWatchingYou&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715&CID=181432
Anti-virus:
www.trendmicro.com

No more idea.

Let us know.

:)
--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on www.msmvps.com
Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

Hi / Bonjour *Lorne* :

> I recently updated a HP EVO D510 with pending updates and SP2. OS is XP Pro.
> All identified driver updates installed as well.
> Strange problems after installation(s):
> (1) Norton AV-Auto Protect was disabled.

About this :

check in %windir%\Downloaded Program Files if there is a file related to
Norton AV...

:)
--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on www.msmvps.com
Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

Thanks for your help so far.
(1) Tried to register NAVUI.dll using Start | Run as below. Load library
failed-The specified module could not be found.
(2) Ran all of the suggested scans/tools below. Nothing of any note, mostly
tracking cookies.
(3) No sign of any Norton AV files in %windir%\Downloaded Programs.
Other than reformatting and re-installing, any other ideas?
Your help is appreciated.
Lorne

"Claude LaFrenière" <No_InterNUT@AntiPebkac.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> Kaspersky:
> ftp://ftp.kaspersky.ru/utils/clrav.com
> Anti Root-Kits
> F-Secure (beta)
> http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/
>
> Online scan:
>
> Anti-trojan:
> http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/
> Anti-spy:
> http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_onlinescan.html
> http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=FindOutWhosWatchingYou&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715&CID=181432
> Anti-virus:
> www.trendmicro.com
>
> No more idea.
>
> Let us know.
>
> :)
> --
> Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)
>
> «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»

Hi / Bonjour *Lorne* :

> Thanks for your help so far.
> (1) Tried to register NAVUI.dll using Start | Run as below. Load library
> failed-The specified module could not be found.
> (2) Ran all of the suggested scans/tools below. Nothing of any note, mostly
> tracking cookies.
> (3) No sign of any Norton AV files in %windir%\Downloaded Programs.
> Other than reformatting and re-installing, any other ideas?
> Your help is appreciated.
> Lorne

1- About Norton AV please check those informations from Symantec:

Symantec Windows® XP Service Pack 2 information center
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html

Restoring Norton AntiVirus after it is infected by a virus
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001120816371506

Removing Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the Rnav2003.exe
removal utility when Add/Remove programs fails
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

If you have to reinstall Norton Anti-virus (as I guess) you have to
uninstall it with the tool provided by Symantec.

2- About the problem with W xp I guess there is 2 procedure to fix the
problem without formatting ( 99.9% of the time xp problems can be solved
without this...)

a) System File Checker : Check all protected files in XP and fixed problems
by comparing with a clean copy from W xp CD and c:\Windows\System32\dllcache...

This procedure *void* the previous restore points *without warning*.
You must stop system restore to delete all restore points , fix the
problems with sfc and restart system restore to create a new R.P.

Use this *only* if no restore points solve the problem...

You have the sp2 but I'm almost sure that you have a "non-sp2" W xp CD...
(A "sliptreamed" CD = a W XP including sp2...)
If you run sfc the command may ask you to insert the sp2 CD in order to
find systems files and you have alos to give the path for thoses files ...
(See the "headache"...)

May be "try and see"???

b) Easier way : repair W xp from the XP CD then reapply the sp2 upgrade.
The best way to do this is to use a sp2 CD instead of dowloading the
upgrade...( agree ?)

Since it's any way the most simple way to fixed the very strange problem
with xp here the procedure:

If you have a original W xp CD (not an OEM such as HP-Compaq with 5 CDs...)
you can repair W xp that way :

(AArrgghh ! I read again your first post : you have an HP !!! :-(((
Did you have One W xp CD or the 5 CDs "HP stuff" ??? If it's HP
multiple CDs the following procedure is irrelevant...)

I- Power on your computer and access to the bios setup.
Most of the time by pressing the F1 key at the beginning of the start up.

Check to be sure that the CD drive is the primary boot device
and the hard disk the secondary boot device.
This is important to boot from the W xp CD....

II- Insert the W xp CD in the drive...
The W xp will start...

*Do not choose the repair option at this moment*
(This is for a special console ... )

Let the installation program running...
follow all steps...

The installation program will discover that you already a W xp on the
hard disk !

*At this moment choose the option to REPAIR...*

III- when it's finished reboot the computer, remove the CD from the drive
and W xp will boot again...

*I hope you have the Genuine W xp CD*...
*Let me know please*

4-
Here some informations about the "slipstreaming" procedure:

Slipstreamed Windows XP CD Using SP2
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

Sorry : I have no better idea for this moment.

Let me know...

:)