System Idle Process

It seem very often when my computer is running slowly or seems to be frozen I
hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and check my processes. Most of the time the System Idle
Process is showing 94-99 % of my CPU. Is there a reason for this or a fix
for this. Thanks.

GoldChen007@hotmail.com
3 answers Last reply
More about system idle process

    _System_Idle_ Process is showing 94-99 % of my CPU.
    System Idle means System Idle.
    It's a good thing!
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Hi / Bonjour *GoldChen* :

    > It seem very often when my computer is running slowly or seems to be frozen I
    > hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and check my processes. Most of the time the System Idle
    > Process is showing 94-99 % of my CPU. Is there a reason for this or a fix
    > for this. Thanks.
    >
    > GoldChen007 hotmail.com

    Idle : when your system do "nothing" ...

    System slow ? or freezing ? Don't stay "idle" :-D

    Check those Windows Explorer parameters

    a) To used the multi-thread in Windows explorer:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    Create this key:

    DesktopProcess
    Reg_DWord
    value 1

    b) Change the value of the "Windows priority separation" :

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl
    Create this key

    Win32PrioritySeparation
    Reg_DWord
    Value 26 in HEX

    c) Modify those folders options :

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

    Do not hide file ext.
    HideFileExt
    Reg_Dword
    1

    Open folders in separate process
    SeparateProcess
    Reg_Dword
    1

    A good maintenance of W xp is required from time to time.

    Here some hints:

    1- Use chkdsk to check the integrity of your hard disk:

    Windows explorer | right click on disk icon |
    properties | tab "tools" | "check errors" | check both options
    ok and restart your computer

    or

    Start | Run | cmd | chkdsk X: /F /R /V ,
    Where X= disk volume

    For the results un applications log:
    Souce : Winlogon
    ID : 1001

    2) Clean the temporary files:

    Start | Run | cleanmgr.exe

    3) Defrag the volumes of the HD :

    Start | Run | Defrag.msc

    For multiple volume defrag use this:
    http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/defrag_all.htm

    4) Check devices and drivers and upgrade them if needed

    Start | Run | devmgmt.msc

    a)
    Devices error codes:
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=310123

    b)
    To find recent drivers

    www.driverfiles.net

    5) Check the services configuration:

    The mandatories services must be started and in automatic mode
    The others in manual...or disabled....

    More info on W xp services:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
    If you understand french:
    http://climenole.serendipia.net/archives/3-La-Configuration-des-Services-de-Windows-XP.html

    6) Check the applications started at boot and keep them
    to the minimum.

    instead of using msconfig used Starter from CodeStuff...
    http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/

    Check for applications in your account and All users
    (from an admin account...)

    7) Control what's running on that PC with those tools:

    Autorun
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml
    *Don't delete anythings unless you are absolutly sure of what's you're
    doing*

    Process Explorer :
    (an enhanced Task Manager!)
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    8) Defrag the protected files ( Registry , hiberfil.sys, Pagefile.sys etc.)

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

    9) Optimize the prefetching

    Run this command :
    %windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
    usefull only when the computer is idle...
    The service Task Scheduler must be running and in automatic mode.
    Check this value:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
    Management\PrefetchParameters
    The keyEnablePrefetcher REG_DWORD must be set to 3.

    10) Check the warnings and errors in the application and system logs
    and fix the problems :

    Start | Run | eventvwr.msc

    Some hints : http://www.eventid.net/

    11) Safe & Cool ...

    A)
    Keep your system free of malwares (virus, worms,spywares, etc.)

    Some tools and links:

    "Mini- antivirus" to be runned in safe mode:

    Stinger :
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Avast cleaner :

    MS:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=fr

    Kaspersky:
    ftp://ftp.kaspersky.ru/utils/clrav.com

    Anti Root-Kits
    F-Secure (beta)
    http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

    Online scan:

    Anti-trojan:
    http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

    Anti-spy:
    http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_onlinescan.html
    http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=FindOutWhosWatchingYou&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715&CID=181432

    Anti-virus:
    www.trendmicro.com

    B)
    Keep your PC free of dust and check the temperatures with those tools:

    Everest:
    http://www.lavalys.com/

    SpeedFan
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    No more idea....

    Let us know...

    N.B.:

    Don't show your email adress in clear in a news group.
    Your email address can be collected by a Spammer Bot ...

    You can hide your address like this:
    GoldChen007AROBAShotmailDOTcom

    or use a service like this one:
    Cerbermail
    http://www.digipills.com/cerbermail/intro.php

    Your email adress will be legible by a human being
    but not by the spammer-bot...

    :)

    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net
    Soon on www.msmvps.com
    Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

    System Idle Process is exactly what it sounds like.
    It is the % of processing power you have waiting for something to do,doing
    nothing.

    If you are having problems, this is not the cause.
    Follow this link:

    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    http://www.dts-l.org

    "GoldChen" <GoldChen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It seem very often when my computer is running slowly or seems to be
    > frozen I
    > hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and check my processes. Most of the time the System Idle
    > Process is showing 94-99 % of my CPU. Is there a reason for this or a fix
    > for this. Thanks.
    >
    > GoldChen007@hotmail.com

Computers Microsoft Windows XP