semperfidelis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Hi,

I know this is not really a hardware question, but is it possible FRAPS is totally wrong about the FPS. I have i72600k@4.5 Ghz and HD6970 crossfire.
I have Skyrim on ultra and some ini-tweaks to improve distance. To me it seems as if the game runs very smooth. Gpu-load is about 56% each card in the heaviest areas. CPU-load isn't about 50-60% in heaviest areas. RAM-usage is about 3.6GB but this can't be the problem either since I have 8GB.

Still FRAPS says that my FPS are not higher then 25, with drops to 15. I have the same problem in Oblivion. It seems as if FRAPS is only counting the frames rendered by 1 card.

So is it possible FRAPS is very wrong about FPS, and if this is true, then how do I check my real FPS?

Thx

ZeroGhost

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I take it your taking about the none-recording part of fraps? (since that has a fixed framerate) does skyrim have its own FPS counter in it? maybe try out a different program and see if it yields a different result (then you know its fraps messing up)

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Hm... that is strange, you can try using MSI Afterburner and enable ingame fps to check out.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Are using FXAA Injection on skyrim?

found it in another forum:

"To allow OSD to work in conjunction with directx overriders such as FXAA, create a profile for the game then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Bundle\OSDServer\Profiles and modify the cfg file. In the [hooking] section, add EnableDynamicOffsetDetection=1 , save the file and restart Afterburner."

you can try that.

semperfidelis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

Tried it, no effect. Probably cause I'm using quite a lot of mods... Any other programs?

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

maybe some mods are causing wrong fraps problems? try without mods.

semperfidelis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

Perhaps it has something to do with skse. I'll just leave it with that and stop using fraps :). When I record with FRAPS I do get a solid 60 FPS and everything remains smooth. So it is very strange

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
The only other thing i can think of is in Skyrim's ini files. It could be that you have the following setting set to 2 for some reason (which doubles your Vsync) Here's a copy/paste from Nvidia's tweak guide:

iPresentInterval=0 - A form of Vertical Synchronization (VSync) is enabled by default in Skyrim and cannot be disabled in the in-game settings. If this variable is added to the bottom of the [Display] section of Skyrim.ini and set to 0, it will forcibly disable VSync. Disabling VSync reduces/eliminates mouse lag and removes the cap on your FPS, and can also improve overall performance. However disabling VSync also has several potentially negative impacts: you may see screen "tearing" which is harmless but may be annoying; in areas where you get very high framerates, such as indoors, the vertical (up/down) axis of your mouse will become much more sensitive than the horizontal axis; game world physics and timing may also accelerate or glitch, especially in areas where you get high FPS.