Skyrim FRAPS FPS

Hi,

I know this is not really a hardware question, but is it possible FRAPS is totally wrong about the FPS. I have i72600k@4.5 Ghz and HD6970 crossfire.
I have Skyrim on ultra and some ini-tweaks to improve distance. To me it seems as if the game runs very smooth. Gpu-load is about 56% each card in the heaviest areas. CPU-load isn't about 50-60% in heaviest areas. RAM-usage is about 3.6GB but this can't be the problem either since I have 8GB.

Still FRAPS says that my FPS are not higher then 25, with drops to 15. I have the same problem in Oblivion. It seems as if FRAPS is only counting the frames rendered by 1 card.

So is it possible FRAPS is very wrong about FPS, and if this is true, then how do I check my real FPS?

Thx
9 answers Last reply
More about skyrim fraps
  1. I take it your taking about the none-recording part of fraps? (since that has a fixed framerate) does skyrim have its own FPS counter in it? maybe try out a different program and see if it yields a different result (then you know its fraps messing up)
  2. Skyrim has no console command for FPS. Indeed none-recording. Gonna try another program.
  3. semperfidelis said:
    Hi,

I know this is not really a hardware question, but is it possible FRAPS is totally wrong about the FPS. I have i72600k@4.5 Ghz and HD6970 crossfire.
    I have Skyrim on ultra and some ini-tweaks to improve distance. To me it seems as if the game runs very smooth. Gpu-load is about 56% each card in the heaviest areas. CPU-load isn't about 50-60% in heaviest areas. RAM-usage is about 3.6GB but this can't be the problem either since I have 8GB.

Still FRAPS says that my FPS are not higher then 25, with drops to 15. I have the same problem in Oblivion. It seems as if FRAPS is only counting the frames rendered by 1 card.

So is it possible FRAPS is very wrong about FPS, and if this is true, then how do I check my real FPS?

Thx

Hm... that is strange, you can try using MSI Afterburner and enable ingame fps to check out.
  4. Tried using MSI Afterburner, ODS doesn't seem to work in Skyrim. So I can't check FPS. Any other programs?
  5. semperfidelis said:
    Tried using MSI Afterburner, ODS doesn't seem to work in Skyrim. So I can't check FPS. Any other programs?

Are using FXAA Injection on skyrim?

found it in another forum:

"To allow OSD to work in conjunction with directx overriders such as FXAA, create a profile for the game then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Bundle\OSDServer\Profiles and modify the cfg file. In the [hooking] section, add EnableDynamicOffsetDetection=1 , save the file and restart Afterburner."

you can try that.
  6. ricardois said:
    Are using FXAA Injection on skyrim?

found it in another forum:

"To allow OSD to work in conjunction with directx overriders such as FXAA, create a profile for the game then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Bundle\OSDServer\Profiles and modify the cfg file. In the [hooking] section, add EnableDynamicOffsetDetection=1 , save the file and restart Afterburner."

you can try that.

Tried it, no effect. Probably cause I'm using quite a lot of mods... Any other programs?
  7. semperfidelis said:
    Tried it, no effect. Probably cause I'm using quite a lot of mods... Any other programs?

maybe some mods are causing wrong fraps problems? try without mods.
  8. ricardois said:
    maybe some mods are causing wrong fraps problems? try without mods.

Perhaps it has something to do with skse. I'll just leave it with that and stop using fraps :). When I record with FRAPS I do get a solid 60 FPS and everything remains smooth. So it is very strange
  9. The only other thing i can think of is in Skyrim's ini files. It could be that you have the following setting set to 2 for some reason (which doubles your Vsync) Here's a copy/paste from Nvidia's tweak guide:

iPresentInterval=0 - A form of Vertical Synchronization (VSync) is enabled by default in Skyrim and cannot be disabled in the in-game settings. If this variable is added to the bottom of the [Display] section of Skyrim.ini and set to 0, it will forcibly disable VSync. Disabling VSync reduces/eliminates mouse lag and removes the cap on your FPS, and can also improve overall performance. However disabling VSync also has several potentially negative impacts: you may see screen "tearing" which is harmless but may be annoying; in areas where you get very high framerates, such as indoors, the vertical (up/down) axis of your mouse will become much more sensitive than the horizontal axis; game world physics and timing may also accelerate or glitch, especially in areas where you get high FPS.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming FPS Skyrim Video Games