Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Majority of options gone from Catalyst Control Centre since upgrading

Last response: in Windows 8
October 29, 2012 6:43:33 PM

Basically I upgraded to Windows 8 (don't give me the "well you should have stuck to windows 7") and I opened CCC to scale my monitor to get rid of the black border but most of the options were gone. I assumed I need to upgrade to the Windows 8 CCC. So I uninstalled my (then) current CCC and restarted PC and installed the newest one for Windows 8 64 bit but still got the same issue. I have tried many different versions of CCC but to no avail. I saw someone mention he fixed this by " uninstalling catalyst control center and removing incorrect GAC token from the Windows folder". No idea what that entails.

TL;DR why does my Catalyst Control Center lack options and looks like this after upgrading to Windows 8 and installing the Windows 8 drivers?
October 29, 2012 7:00:02 PM

im not sure either mines like that too i have no options and i cant get my gpu to show up
October 29, 2012 7:07:42 PM

Have either of you tried the Catalyst 12.10 release or the 12.11 beta?
Related resources
October 29, 2012 7:09:05 PM

ebsbyers said:
im not sure either mines like that too i have no options and i cant get my gpu to show up

Yeah I want to be able to change the over-scan so I can get rid of these stupid 1 cm black borders :/  I have tried so many different versions of CCC for Windows 8 with the exact same result :/ 
October 29, 2012 7:12:45 PM

Cataclysm_ZA said:

Tried both of them. Same result... Making me regret upgrading to Windows 8 but I'm stuck with it now seeing as I don't want to wipe my HDD.
October 29, 2012 7:17:46 PM

I'd try uninstalling whichever version you've got loaded on now with Revo Uninstaller, doing a quick registry scan with Ccleaner (backing up the registry is optional, but not required, make sure you fix all the errors and re-scan until no more errors appear), rebooting and re-installing Catalyst 12.10. I've always done clean installs and never upgrades, though, had too many past experiences with upgrades and customers/clients figuring out a way to make their machine stuff it up.

I'd add in links for you but somehow my full editor's options are blanked out, so just get the programs from filehippo.com.
October 29, 2012 7:37:31 PM

Cataclysm_ZA said:
I'd try uninstalling whichever version you've got loaded on now with Revo Uninstaller, doing a quick registry scan with Ccleaner (backing up the registry is optional, but not required, make sure you fix all the errors and re-scan until no more errors appear), rebooting and re-installing Catalyst 12.10. I've always done clean installs and never upgrades, though, had too many past experiences with upgrades and customers/clients figuring out a way to make their machine stuff it up.

I'd add in links for you but somehow my full editor's options are blanked out, so just get the programs from filehippo.com.

Allright I'll give all that a go. I had to upgrade though haha. 2TB of stuff that I didn't want to lose :')
October 29, 2012 8:21:27 PM

powerisblack said:
Allright I'll give all that a go. I had to upgrade though haha. 2TB of stuff that I didn't want to lose :')

You should think about partitioning the drive in future. Have a 250GB partition for Windows and the rest goes to your media. I have one 500GB drive as boot and a 1.5TB for my movies and stuff. Later on I'll have a 128GB SSD, the 500GB will be reused for media and the 1.5TB will be added into a networked Windows Home server. Makes life so much easier.
October 29, 2012 9:17:27 PM

Cataclysm_ZA said:
You should think about partitioning the drive in future. Have a 250GB partition for Windows and the rest goes to your media. I have one 500GB drive as boot and a 1.5TB for my movies and stuff. Later on I'll have a 128GB SSD, the 500GB will be reused for media and the 1.5TB will be added into a networked Windows Home server. Makes life so much easier.

Not possible being as I don't have 250GB to spare. Also windows doesn't need 250GB. Partitioning is hassle cause it's a pain in the ass to get partitions to merge back if you have an OS on on of them. Which I always will. Also what you suggested didn't work. Still exactly the same issue. I have no idea what the hell is up with this. These black borders are doing my head in and I can't sort it out cause CCC has bugger all options.
October 30, 2012 6:24:10 PM

I have had the same problem since the preview came out and only solved it now, the issue is that AMD have only upgraded the latest GPU to windows 8 as they new models will be released with windows 8 in stores,

i have the mobility radeon HD 5145 but shows up on standard driver as 4500 series, probable reason being it uses the same driver.

i had installed the new catalyst control centre and all i had was 4 options, this meant i had no ability to overdrive, or change aspect ratio on certain games, for me this was hitman 1-3,

1. remove current CCC and all ati software in remove programs, select the remove all AMD software option when removing.

2. Remove all reg traces by using CCLEANER (best piece of free software in exsistance and everyone should have this installed forever).

3. go to device manager by pressing the windows key and break buttons, go to display adapters and uninstalling the current item there.(dont worry screen will go black and come back, all GPU works as standard video cards). Now click the option up top that says scan for hardware changes. this will reinstall your GPU, dont update the driver yet, Very important,

4. download and install the windows 7 CCC version 12.6 (when you are downloading it will be called legacy something). INSTALL this. if you have a different GPU you may need to install a different CCC but most likely not as this one covers alot of them.

Link Below.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pa...

5. now you should have all options, available to you, now go ahead and update the GPU driver if need be.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS WORKS

email is michaelkidd@dublin.ie
October 30, 2012 10:29:29 PM

NlTESHADE said:
I have had the same problem since the preview came out and only solved it now, the issue is that AMD have only upgraded the latest GPU to windows 8 as they new models will be released with windows 8 in stores,

i have the mobility radeon HD 5145 but shows up on standard driver as 4500 series, probable reason being it uses the same driver.

i had installed the new catalyst control centre and all i had was 4 options, this meant i had no ability to overdrive, or change aspect ratio on certain games, for me this was hitman 1-3,

1. remove current CCC and all ati software in remove programs, select the remove all AMD software option when removing.

2. Remove all reg traces by using CCLEANER (best piece of free software in exsistance and everyone should have this installed forever).

3. go to device manager by pressing the windows key and break buttons, go to display adapters and uninstalling the current item there.(dont worry screen will go black and come back, all GPU works as standard video cards). Now click the option up top that says scan for hardware changes. this will reinstall your GPU, dont update the driver yet, Very important,

4. download and install the windows 7 CCC version 12.6 (when you are downloading it will be called legacy something). INSTALL this. if you have a different GPU you may need to install a different CCC but most likely not as this one covers alot of them.

Link Below.

5. now you should have all options, available to you, now go ahead and update the GPU driver if need be.

Not working for me.
October 31, 2012 9:43:11 PM

Cataclysm_ZA said:

I had the same problem as the OP, downloaded 12.10 from the AMD site, installed it, and it restored the full range of options in CCC, and the overscaling setting eliminated the black border. (Win 8 Pro 64-Bit, HD6850 GPU, Panasonic 42" HDTV as monitor)
a b \ Driver
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 31, 2012 10:15:49 PM

Just download drivers and reinstall.
November 1, 2012 8:49:59 PM

Kudos to area51reopened for being obvious :) 

Obviously everyone that has this problem knows it is not that easy. I have tried the above outlines solutions to no success. I have the exact same issue as the one outlined by the OP to the last detail. HDMI-HDMI. I have attempted the windows 7/vista CCC and the windows 8 CCC to no success. It seems the drivers dont correctly communicate to the CCC and report the monitor. Has anyone been able to install a driver that works? Even tried the beta.. uninstalling CCC/rebooting each time.

Thanks! this 1 inch border is really upsetting - love windows 8 otherwise the.. other than i wish that hitting the windows key didnt pull up the graphical UI....
a b \ Driver
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 1, 2012 9:37:00 PM

Just stating that it worked for me!
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 9:40:11 PM

Well you should of stuck with windows 7 just kidding!On a serious note hope it all gets resolved good luck!
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 1, 2012 9:59:19 PM

Very strange. I have been using the ATI drivers since the first Win8 CP and now am finishing off the Developer Preview and on both they seem to work.

What card do you have?
November 1, 2012 10:26:08 PM

I also have the HD6850 like truprecht. However the 12.10 or beta doesn't work for me like it did him. I've been searching the internet on this issue for awhile to no avail.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 1, 2012 10:35:25 PM

In response to Area51reopened's post.

I once downloaded an AMD driver that when installed showed the same version as before I went through the full reinstall again and again(driver sweeper and all), then just downloaded it again.

Guess what, The MD5's did not even match. It was like AMD had put up the wrong driver for a short time it was an exact match to the older driver.

So I could see that happen :) 

Unfortunately, my card is much older then yours(5870). The screens almost look like basic mode, but lack the green bar with locations so it must not be that.

Hey, Why 12.10 beta. Is 12.10 not the current version(No beta)?
November 1, 2012 10:50:11 PM

Sorry, mighta worded it a bit wrong. I meant I tried both the 12.10 driver and the beta (12.11) and neither of them gave me the full selection of utilities in my CCC.

I wish the OP would continue posting, but I would like this resolved as quickly as possible so I don't go insane :)  maybe some of the things we mention will help the OP as well..

What confuses me the most is that the GPU drivers i use work for the second monitor I have installed.. a rather small HP monitor I use for chats and ventrillo.. Using the card as just a video card of course disables the second monitor.. so the drivers are working - just not communicating with CCC. Is there another way to access the settings i need? Maybe a 3rd party software? Just rolling here.. not sure if its possible.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 1, 2012 10:57:00 PM

I think you can just extend the desktop within windows.

Right click the desktop and then select screen resolution. Can you see both screens? You should be able to extend desktop from that window.
November 1, 2012 11:01:35 PM

Yeah that's working fine - theres also a pretty nifty gui if you use the charm bar and go to devices. I was just saying that the drivers are working without issue except for the communication with CCC. Its just I have no selection to change display settings within CCC, just like the OPs screenshot.
November 1, 2012 11:15:08 PM

saamos said:
I also have the HD6850 like truprecht. However the 12.10 or beta doesn't work for me like it did him. I've been searching the internet on this issue for awhile to no avail.

FWIW, I didn't uninstall the previous drivers or CCC. I downloaded the full suite from AMD here (first option):

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...

I ran the file directly from my downloads folder, used "express settings".

Just throwing stuff at the wall here, but maybe Windows doesn't recognize the specific monitor, therefore CCC doesn't enable any monitor-controlling features? Does your monitor have any kind of driver install? For example, in the Devices & Printers control panel, does the monitor show up as a specific brand/model or just a generic monitor? If you cant push CCC to the monitor, maybe you can push the monitor to CCC?
November 1, 2012 11:21:09 PM

I tried to find the specific driver on asus' website and couldnt find anything. It is a generic PnP in devices though. I have the vh242h monitor (model) wich is 23.6"

EDIT: just fyi, I also used the express settings and downloaded the entire package. Multiple times.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 1, 2012 11:31:18 PM

What GRAPHICS solution do you have?

Is it a discrete card, a motherboard chip, or part of an APU?
November 2, 2012 12:15:34 AM

Uhhm, discrete chip. Not sure how that matters but i hope it fixes my issue :wahoo: 
November 2, 2012 1:48:10 AM

I found a fix for the black borders issue using regedit.. original post was on superuser though. link:
http://superuser.com/questions/458321/change-overscan-u...

Basically navigate you your "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\video{####....}\0000" and create a new dword registry with the name "DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan" ... leave the values at 0.

The source of THAT source was the original contributor of the fix as far as I know.. from: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=62100

I have tested this and confirm it to work (because the guy on superuser wasn't quite sure)

of course.. this doesn't fix the CCC options.. maybe there will be a fix in the future - or if someone still has an answer I'll keep checking back..

Thanks for all the help guys!
November 25, 2012 11:26:05 PM

I'm having this exact same problem, but I'm on Windows 7 still! All of a sudden, CCC (now called AMD VISION Engine Control Center) no longer has all of the options of the old CCC, and over/underscan is in particular missing. Why would this be affecting me on Win7, and how do I fix it?

I have a Radeon HD 4890 if that matters.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 25, 2012 11:38:05 PM

What version of CCC are you running? the 4XXX cards are still at 12.6 as far as I know.

Are you trying to run a newer one?
December 1, 2012 10:24:07 PM

NlTESHADE said:

Link Below.

worked for me, Thanks!
January 19, 2013 1:01:47 AM

powerisblack said:
Tried both of them. Same result... Making me regret upgrading to Windows 8 but I'm stuck with it now seeing as I don't want to wipe my HDD.

I found a fix although I cannot remember where. It involved uninstalling all versions in add/remove programs.
Deleting amd and/or ati folders in file explorer.
Using CCleaner to wipe out registry entries related to ati/amd graphics drivers. Not as hard as it sounds.
Installing the windows 8 driver using the 10-11 beta software, but only install the driver so that the ATI driver (not the windows driver) shows up in device manager.
Install windows 7 10-6 software.
You will get an error or two loading windows, but you will have Catalyst Control Center back.
The next step is to do a full install of the 10-11 beta, but I haven't got that to work. I stopped short of this step and lived with the windows 7 installation and found ways to get rid of the error messages via msconfig. I hope this helps!
January 25, 2013 11:52:23 PM

I just upgraded to 13.10 and tried to play Borderlands 2. It was basically unplayable. I went into CCC to see if I could fix it, but there were no options (like OP). I tried uninstalling/reinstalling/downgrading. Nothing seems to get them back...
January 26, 2013 11:28:02 PM

I pulled my hair out for several hours on this problem: almost all settings tabs were missing in CCC after install of AMD drivers for my upgraded media center pc, with Radeon 4200.

After several install/uninstall/cleanup tries, the solution was embarrassingly simple: it turned out the install silently failed, the AMD driver wasn't loaded and I was still running the built-in WDM driver. Running Catalyst results in an almost empty settings screen, with only a few power settings, but no error or warning is shown.

The solution: after the normal install (I used version 13.1), go into device manager, run "update drivers" on the Display Driver, browse to the ATI folder, and let Windows search for a newer driver there. Windows will find it and finally load it. Then, all settings magically re-appear after a restart of CCC.
January 27, 2013 5:44:18 PM

Maarten88 said:
The solution: after the normal install (I used version 13.1), go into device manager, run "update drivers" on the Display Driver, browse to the ATI folder, and let Windows search for a newer driver there. Windows will find it and finally load it. Then, all settings magically re-appear after a restart of CCC.

THANK YOU so much! :pt1cable: 

This is indeed the easiest and cleanest solution to this very annoying problem!
I don't understand why AMD has not fixed this issue yet.
It's not new and finding a solution was not possible until you posted it :D 

You are the man!

EDIT:
Btw:
I needed to select the correct driver folder (currently C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql).
Just running the automated driver search did not find it.
February 6, 2013 8:20:09 PM

Guys yesterday i bought g6 pavilion pretty good laptop ... and when i tried to set it to my 37' TV i was able to see only the middle of my desktop screen (due to resolution i assume).

So i did everything you guys suggested i wasted like 10+ hours on the forums such as this one and hp forums as well ... nothing helped i re-installed , deleted removed got older versions got the latest beta one ... nothing. So what i did was ... i went back to the market i bought the damn HP and i got myself ASUS with NVIDIA and now everything is ok. Sorry to say that but HP lost another customer. Poor customer service, no bios update since 10.2012, no answers ... I wish you all luck with fixing that annoying screen fit thingie.
Best regards
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 6, 2013 8:22:24 PM

Sounds like you may have had an over-scan issue.
February 9, 2013 4:38:08 PM

Maarten88 said:
I pulled my hair out for several hours on this problem: almost all settings tabs were missing in CCC after install of AMD drivers for my upgraded media center pc, with Radeon 4200.

After several install/uninstall/cleanup tries, the solution was embarrassingly simple: it turned out the install silently failed, the AMD driver wasn't loaded and I was still running the built-in WDM driver. Running Catalyst results in an almost empty settings screen, with only a few power settings, but no error or warning is shown.

Thank you so much. After trying almost everything, this neat and simple solution works. I guess few people owe you a drink. :bounce: 
March 8, 2013 3:43:40 PM

Maarten88 said:

My God. Thank you so much. This is by far the only thing that worked. I couldn't run any of my 3D graphic design programs because they need open GL 1.3 to work. Without the ccc installed properly it would only recognize it as 1.1. You my friend are a true life saver.
March 14, 2013 11:21:04 PM

Maarten88 said:

I am still pulling hair!! I tried this and it said "Your drivers are up to date" But still I have NO graphical configuration options in CCC... This is extremely... Darn... Frustrating...
April 20, 2013 1:25:54 AM

Free_Hidings said:
Maarten88 said:

I am still pulling hair!! I tried this and it said "Your drivers are up to date" But still I have NO graphical configuration options in CCC... This is extremely... Darn... Frustrating...

I have the same problem, I have tried everthing and I mean everything on this post, lost my CCC, but recovered it. no matter what I only have the few options in the CCC.
May 4, 2013 12:35:17 AM

FEAR NOT I HAVE THE ANSWER all you need to do is whack in the cd that came with your card and click the lovely big install button ALL YOUR PROBLEMS WILL BE ANSWERED thankyou and goodnight
May 4, 2013 3:20:11 PM

NlTESHADE said:

Link Below.

itspeanutyay said:
FEAR NOT I HAVE THE ANSWER all you need to do is whack in the cd that came with your card and click the lovely big install button ALL YOUR PROBLEMS WILL BE ANSWERED thankyou and goodnight

How do you keep it from automatically installing drivers for the Card when selecting scan for new hardware? Or is it supposed to?
June 14, 2013 8:53:57 AM

Maarten88 said:

Awesome, thank you! What worked for me was uninstalling the drivers first before trying this.
When I uninstalled them, the graphics card was shown in "Other" in device manager.

I have a HD 6670
July 29, 2013 8:05:20 PM

I went through this nightmare and got it working, so i decided to put together this guide to spare ppl further misery. (This is for Windows 8.1, but I'm assuming things are the same for Windows 8.)

The problem is that Window's 8.1 has a built-in, default AMD driver which is blocking the AMD driver that you downloaded from installing. Furthermore, Catalyst Control Center (called "AMD Fusion" on some systems) does not like the Windows 8.1 default driver. This is why CCC isn't displaying all the graphics card options.

The key is to get the downloaded driver to install. To do this, you have to remove the default driver first, which is slightly tricky.

Here are all the steps:

1. Download the driver from AMD's website, but do not install it yet.

2. If you already have it installed, uninstall it. Select the option to remove all. You do not have to run a registry cleaner. Furthermore, do NOT run AMD's registry cleaner "removal tool" (available on their website), as it is totally incompatible with Windows 8.1 and will destroy it beyond repair. (No, i'm not exaggerating)

3. Run device manager as an administrator. Select the graphics card, and uninstall the default AMD driver. Make sure you check the box to "delete" the driver as well.

4. Disconnect from the internet. This prevents windows from re-installing the default driver in the next step.

5. Scan for hardware changes in the device manager. This brings your device back, but not the driver. (The 'scan for hardware' button will not be there if you didn't run device manager as an adminstrator)

6. Install the AMD driver that you downloaded from AMD's website.

7. Right click on desktop and run Catalyst Control Center to make sure it is working now

8. Re-connect to internet
!