Applications slow to launch from Desktop

June 16, 2005 6:00:11 PM

Hi All,

I have an end user who is trying to launch applications by opening an
associated file which resides on the Desktop. If the application (such as
Excel) is opened from the Start Menu, the files open quickly and with
expected performance. When the file is executed from the Desktop it can
literally take more than a minute to actually open the associated
application. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Nicker
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:39:04 AM

Try turning off the active desktop. Also scan for viruses and malware.

Microsoft Windows XP users

1.. Open the Control Panel.
2.. Open Display Properties.
3.. Click the Desktop tab.
4.. Click the Customize Desktop button.
5.. Click the Web tab in the Desktop Items window.
If you wish to enable the Active Desktop, check "My Current Home
Page". Add your current home page into your desktop or click New to
add another web page and/or other Active Desktop features. To update
the content, click the Synchronize button.

If you wish to disable Active Desktop, make sure all checkboxes in
this window are un-checked.