Power Meter Reading for Battery is Incorrect

Ever Since I installed a new bigger Hard Drive (from12 gigs to 60 gigs) and
Windows XP Home, my Power Meter on the laptop has been giving me bogus
readings. It will drop from “3:00 hours remaining� to 80% in an hour then
drop to 3% ten minutes later without warning and lock up my system.

Just this evening, I started and unplugged the laptop at 7:30pm and meter
said 100% and 3:00 hours left. At 8:20pm power meter said 2:43minutes
remaining.

At 8:44pm the audible alarm sounded showing 3% battery left, (it never did
show a text alarm at the 10% like I had it set) The audible alarm keeps
beeping until the laptop shuts down or I plug in the power cord. At that time
I plugged in the power cord and the meter shows 3%.

I have tried three different batteries, with the same problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
3 answers Last reply
More about power meter reading battery incorrect

    Have you searched the manufacturer's website? It sounds like a
    hardware problem rather than the software. Also try Googling the
    problem like; keywords: "laptop battery low new hard drive" or
    "laptop battery monitor incorrect"

    jjv wrote:
    > Ever Since I installed a new bigger Hard Drive (from12 gigs to 60
    > gigs) and Windows XP Home, my Power Meter on the laptop has been
    > giving me bogus readings. It will drop from "3:00 hours remaining" to
    > 80% in an hour then drop to 3% ten minutes later without warning and
    > lock up my system.
    >
    > Just this evening, I started and unplugged the laptop at 7:30pm and
    > meter said 100% and 3:00 hours left. At 8:20pm power meter said
    > 2:43minutes remaining.
    >
    > At 8:44pm the audible alarm sounded showing 3% battery left, (it
    > never did show a text alarm at the 10% like I had it set) The audible
    > alarm keeps beeping until the laptop shuts down or I plug in the
    > power cord. At that time I plugged in the power cord and the meter
    > shows 3%.
    >
    > I have tried three different batteries, with the same problem.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

    If this is an older computer formerly running Win9x/ME, are you sure
    that the computer hardware supports XP? What does the vendor's support
    site say about running XP? Some older computes need a BIOS update for
    XP, some have proprietary power management drivers to handle the
    battery, etc.

    Yes, this was a Win 98 system. I have updated all the bios and drivers.

    "Quaoar" wrote:

    > jjv wrote:
    > > Ever Since I installed a new bigger Hard Drive (from12 gigs to 60
    > > gigs) and Windows XP Home, my Power Meter on the laptop has been
    > > giving me bogus readings. It will drop from "3:00 hours remaining" to
    > > 80% in an hour then drop to 3% ten minutes later without warning and
    > > lock up my system.
    > >
    > > Just this evening, I started and unplugged the laptop at 7:30pm and
    > > meter said 100% and 3:00 hours left. At 8:20pm power meter said
    > > 2:43minutes remaining.
    > >
    > > At 8:44pm the audible alarm sounded showing 3% battery left, (it
    > > never did show a text alarm at the 10% like I had it set) The audible
    > > alarm keeps beeping until the laptop shuts down or I plug in the
    > > power cord. At that time I plugged in the power cord and the meter
    > > shows 3%.
    > >
    > > I have tried three different batteries, with the same problem.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
    >
    > If this is an older computer formerly running Win9x/ME, are you sure
    > that the computer hardware supports XP? What does the vendor's support
    > site say about running XP? Some older computes need a BIOS update for
    > XP, some have proprietary power management drivers to handle the
    > battery, etc.

Laptops Power Windows XP