Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A second mouse to replace keyboard controls for gaming?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 1, 2012 2:10:52 AM

Hi!

I'm doing research for my wife. She has carpal tunnel AND De Quervain syndrome in both hands/wrists. Though we're both gamers, and in our forties, we haven't played a "real" computer game is a long time. There's a game she wants to play now, and Diablo 3 is coming. Her problem is that with her wrists she cannot use the keyboard to control a game.

We are wondering if there's some way to use a second mouse on a Windows Vista computer with the second mouse being used in lieu of the wasd/directional arrows. If she could use two mice, then she'd be able to play and be a VERY happy camper. As an example, she could use the left mouse just as directions and the right mouse to do whatever is "normal" for the game.

Anybody know of some way to do this? Maybe there's another device that she could use that I don't yet know about.

Any info or advice would be most appreciated :) 
February 1, 2012 4:37:26 AM

Can she use a game pad comfortably? they also have a device like the analog stick for the wii numchuck, that is made for computers. Most of the d-pad and analog stick interfaces for the left hand either use their own impute software that converts the button presses to keyboard presses.
Check out the "Razer Hydra Motion Controller" for an example of what I mean.
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 7:00:18 AM

you wont be able to use 2 mice as windows will only accept input from 1 of them at a time...
there are other controllers out there than may be more suited to your needs like a dual analog stick controller/ a track ball or a flight stick... but all will require finger movements...

you should also consider asking your doctor if opening the carpal canal with surgery is an option for your wife... it has mixed results, in the amount of use people get back. but on the whole most people who have it, report that they have improvement and less pain because of it.


m
0
l
Related resources
February 1, 2012 10:43:37 AM

HEXiT said:
you should also consider asking your doctor if opening the carpal canal with surgery is an option for your wife... it has mixed results, in the amount of use people get back. but on the whole most people who have it, report that they have improvement and less pain because of it.

She's already had the De Quervain release surgery in one hand. I don't think she'll ever do the other.


HEXiT said:
you wont be able to use 2 mice as windows will only accept input from 1 of them at a time...
there are other controllers out there than may be more suited to your needs like a dual analog stick controller/ a track ball or a flight stick... but all will require finger movements...


The game is Dungeon Defenders and I started playing it last night. There are many keyboard controls besides wasd, space, shift, and a bunch of letters. I don't think the gamepad is appropriate. I've been wondering if having an secondary keypad might work for movement because she could place it anywhere on her desk to be more comfortable. Other keys on the keypad could be remapped (presumably) to replace the keyboard.

We're not trying to eliminate the finger movements, just decrease them. Having a device like that placed in a comfortable position for her wrist may be all she needs.
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 11:18:58 AM

paulb104 said:
Hi!

I'm doing research for my wife. She has carpal tunnel AND De Quervain syndrome in both hands/wrists. Though we're both gamers, and in our forties, we haven't played a "real" computer game is a long time. There's a game she wants to play now, and Diablo 3 is coming. Her problem is that with her wrists she cannot use the keyboard to control a game.

We are wondering if there's some way to use a second mouse on a Windows Vista computer with the second mouse being used in lieu of the wasd/directional arrows. If she could use two mice, then she'd be able to play and be a VERY happy camper. As an example, she could use the left mouse just as directions and the right mouse to do whatever is "normal" for the game.

Anybody know of some way to do this? Maybe there's another device that she could use that I don't yet know about.

Any info or advice would be most appreciated :) 



Hello, I myself have been looking for something, i think, very similar.

The best solutions i have come up with is The Microsoft Sidewinder Commander

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Strategic-Commander-USB-Mouse-/200692166505?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_JoysticksJoypadsGamepads&hash=item2eba2f6f69#ht_994wt_1037

They are a little old and can only really be found on ebay, but they work with windows 7.

Its like a left hand mouse but it does not leave its base, so you push it forward to go forward..etc There are also a couple of buttons on it too for extra stuff.

Just thought this might help.
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 12:11:58 PM

You could use a Razer Naga, which has a lot of buttons that can be programmed to virtually anything.
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 4:34:06 PM

the naga has those buttons precisely to be used by the thumb, which is what the user seeks to avoid.

OP: take a look at arcade sticks, those offer a joystick but typically it's very low profile (very similar to thumb stick) you wife might be able to use that with just the movement of her forearm by resting her palm on top of the joystick. It will be able to effectively replace WASD for her.

I'm also pretty sure you can get a USB numpad which is separte from the keyboard.
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 4:41:13 PM

i would have recommended a track ball but it seems it wont remap to keystrokes. it only works as a mouse... maybe if he got in touch with kensington trackballs or a similar company they would be able to help him...

http://www.kensington.com/kensington/en/gb/home.aspx
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 4:43:36 PM

Hi :) 

You can do what you wish although there will be a fractional delay....windows will accept two mice but you have to stop using one for a fraction of a second before the second activates...buy you could use the left hand mouse for W/A/S/D etc as long as it has programmable buttons...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 6:01:46 PM

you may be able to reconfigure the buttons but the mouse pointer will always be the mouse pointer. unless you use 2 high end mice from 2 different manufacturers the chances are you will create a conflict. also the fact that most gaming mice use thumb buttons which is part of the problem as she has De Quervain syndrome (also known as gamers thumb) it pretty much rules out a gaming mouse...


http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/peripherals/keyboard... maybe this is more along the lines of what she needs...
m
0
l
!