A Re-Install Question

I've been running XP Pro SP2 for some time now, and it's gotten all
clogged up with various stuff I've installed/uninstalled. A lot of
junk all over the place. I'd like to just "format C" and do a "new"
install. I have the original systems disk, which I purchased and
registered.

I've been told that once I've installed and registered XP Pro, I
cannot reinstall it. Also, I have a 2nd H/D which I use for back-up
files. It's a Fat32 format. I don't want to change that. With W98
SE, I had no problems formating the drive and doing reinstalls.

Is what I want to do possible, with no problems to look forward to?

Appreciate any assistance on this.
3 answers Last reply
More about install question

    There is no restriction on re-installing XP and then re-registering and
    activating it.

    "Al Fabet" <letterman@theboard.edu> wrote in message
    > I've been running XP Pro SP2 for some time now, and it's gotten all
    > clogged up with various stuff I've installed/uninstalled. A lot of
    > junk all over the place. I'd like to just "format C" and do a "new"
    > install. I have the original systems disk, which I purchased and
    > registered.
    >
    > I've been told that once I've installed and registered XP Pro, I
    > cannot reinstall it. Also, I have a 2nd H/D which I use for back-up
    > files. It's a Fat32 format. I don't want to change that. With W98
    > SE, I had no problems formating the drive and doing reinstalls.
    >
    > Is what I want to do possible, with no problems to look forward to?
    >
    > Appreciate any assistance on this.

    Hi / Bonjour *Al Fabet* :

    > I've been running XP Pro SP2 for some time now, and it's gotten all
    > clogged up with various stuff I've installed/uninstalled. A lot of
    > junk all over the place. I'd like to just "format C" and do a "new"
    > install. I have the original systems disk, which I purchased and
    > registered.
    >
    > I've been told that once I've installed and registered XP Pro, I
    > cannot reinstall it. Also, I have a 2nd H/D which I use for back-up
    > files. It's a Fat32 format. I don't want to change that. With W98
    > SE, I had no problems formating the drive and doing reinstalls.
    >
    > Is what I want to do possible, with no problems to look forward to?
    >
    > Appreciate any assistance on this.

    Yes you can reinstall Windows XP from the Wxp CD...
    Don't forget to enable the firewall before the first internet connection,
    update W xp and the drivers from the manufacturer of your PC components...

    Also : to avoid this situation in the future
    ("it's gotten all clogged up with various stuff I've installed/uninstalled"):

    I suggest you to use a Installation / Uninstallation software such as
    Total Uninstall ... I'm using the version 2.34 (now 2.35) since years
    and avoid a lot of headache...

    Hope this help.

    :)

    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net
    Soon on www.msmvps.com
    Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

    Hi / Bonjour *Al Fabet* :

    Also :

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.htm

    :)

    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net
    Soon on www.msmvps.com
    Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com