Sound Recorder/Volume Control

I've lost the Volume Control icon from my System Tray and Sound Recorder
from the Entertainment heading of my Start/Programs list.

I've tried re-installing via Add/Delete Programs but the App isn't displayed
there.

As for re-installing XP, I can't do that either because I have SP2 installed
and my XP Disc has SP1 and therefore believes my PC contains a newer version
and it shuts me down.

How do I get my Sound Recorder and Volume Control Apps back where they
belong?

TIA,

Terry
6 answers Last reply
More about sound recorder volume control

    Volume Control:
    Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices > Volume tab (first) > checkmark in
    'Place volume icon in the taskbar'.

    Sound Recorder:
    Search your hard disk for sndrec32.exe - it's usually in \windows\system32.
    Put a shortcut to that file in your start Menu (under Entertainment if you
    wish.)

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    > I've lost the Volume Control icon from my System Tray and Sound Recorder
    > from the Entertainment heading of my Start/Programs list.
    >
    > I've tried re-installing via Add/Delete Programs but the App isn't
    displayed
    > there.
    >
    > As for re-installing XP, I can't do that either because I have SP2
    installed
    > and my XP Disc has SP1 and therefore believes my PC contains a newer
    version
    > and it shuts me down.
    >
    > How do I get my Sound Recorder and Volume Control Apps back where they
    > belong?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Terry

    I have tried both of your suggestions to no avail. That's why I posted to
    this group. Any other ideas?

    Terry

    > Volume Control:
    > Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices > Volume tab (first) > checkmark
    > in
    > 'Place volume icon in the taskbar'.
    >
    > Sound Recorder:
    > Search your hard disk for sndrec32.exe - it's usually in
    > \windows\system32.
    > Put a shortcut to that file in your start Menu (under Entertainment if you
    > wish.)
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."

    >> I've lost the Volume Control icon from my System Tray and Sound Recorder
    >> from the Entertainment heading of my Start/Programs list.
    >>
    >> I've tried re-installing via Add/Delete Programs but the App isn't
    > displayed
    >> there.
    >>
    >> As for re-installing XP, I can't do that either because I have SP2
    > installed
    >> and my XP Disc has SP1 and therefore believes my PC contains a newer
    > version
    >> and it shuts me down.
    >>
    >> How do I get my Sound Recorder and Volume Control Apps back where they
    >> belong?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Terry

    Hi Terry, I am having the same trouble. Can't find the volume control icon
    and can't add it. If you have figured it out, please let me know.
    Thanks, Beth

    "Terry" wrote:

    > I have tried both of your suggestions to no avail. That's why I posted to
    > this group. Any other ideas?
    >
    > Terry

    > > Volume Control:
    > > Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices > Volume tab (first) > checkmark
    > > in
    > > 'Place volume icon in the taskbar'.
    > >
    > > Sound Recorder:
    > > Search your hard disk for sndrec32.exe - it's usually in
    > > \windows\system32.
    > > Put a shortcut to that file in your start Menu (under Entertainment if you
    > > wish.)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > > "You can do it if you try."

    > >> I've lost the Volume Control icon from my System Tray and Sound Recorder
    > >> from the Entertainment heading of my Start/Programs list.
    > >>
    > >> I've tried re-installing via Add/Delete Programs but the App isn't
    > > displayed
    > >> there.
    > >>
    > >> As for re-installing XP, I can't do that either because I have SP2
    > > installed
    > >> and my XP Disc has SP1 and therefore believes my PC contains a newer
    > > version
    > >> and it shuts me down.
    > >>
    > >> How do I get my Sound Recorder and Volume Control Apps back where they
    > >> belong?
    > >>
    > >> TIA,
    > >>
    > >> Terry

    Still no luck. I have asked a guru I know and he keeps suggesting the same
    thing everyone here has suggested. I can't seem to get across to anyone that
    I can't install from the XP disc because I have upgraded my SP1 disc to the
    SP2 patch from MS. Once that's done you can never use your original disc
    again with out removing SP2. I did that and the SP1 disc didn't work anyway.
    So, now I'm back to SP2 again and still without Volume Control and Sound
    Recorder.
    Anyone?

    Terry

    "Bether" <Bether@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Terry, I am having the same trouble. Can't find the volume control
    > icon
    > and can't add it. If you have figured it out, please let me know.
    > Thanks, Beth
    >
    > "Terry" wrote:
    >
    >> I have tried both of your suggestions to no avail. That's why I posted to
    >> this group. Any other ideas?
    >>
    >> Terry
    >>

    >> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Volume Control:
    >> > Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices > Volume tab (first) >
    >> > checkmark
    >> > in
    >> > 'Place volume icon in the taskbar'.
    >> >
    >> > Sound Recorder:
    >> > Search your hard disk for sndrec32.exe - it's usually in
    >> > \windows\system32.
    >> > Put a shortcut to that file in your start Menu (under Entertainment if
    >> > you
    >> > wish.)
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Ted Zieglar
    >> > "You can do it if you try."

    >> > displayed

    >> > installed
    >> > version

    Hi Terry, Any luck yet with your sound icon??? I still don't have one also.

    "Terry" wrote:

    > Still no luck. I have asked a guru I know and he keeps suggesting the same
    > thing everyone here has suggested. I can't seem to get across to anyone that
    > I can't install from the XP disc because I have upgraded my SP1 disc to the
    > SP2 patch from MS. Once that's done you can never use your original disc
    > again with out removing SP2. I did that and the SP1 disc didn't work anyway.
    > So, now I'm back to SP2 again and still without Volume Control and Sound
    > Recorder.
    > Anyone?
    >
    > Terry
    >

    > "Bether" <Bether@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Terry, I am having the same trouble. Can't find the volume control
    > > icon
    > > and can't add it. If you have figured it out, please let me know.
    > > Thanks, Beth
    > >
    > > "Terry" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have tried both of your suggestions to no avail. That's why I posted to
    > >> this group. Any other ideas?
    > >>
    > >> Terry
    > >>

    > >> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message

    I tried following the instructions on the Microsoft site and it worked for
    me. Good luck.
    Go to:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid
    and look/search for Article ID: 319095.

    > Hi Terry, Any luck yet with your sound icon??? I still don't have one
    > also.
    >

    > "Terry" wrote:
    >
    >> Still no luck. I have asked a guru I know and he keeps suggesting the
    >> same
    >> thing everyone here has suggested. I can't seem to get across to anyone
    >> that
    >> I can't install from the XP disc because I have upgraded my SP1 disc to
    >> the
    >> SP2 patch from MS. Once that's done you can never use your original disc
    >> again with out removing SP2. I did that and the SP1 disc didn't work
    >> anyway.
    >> So, now I'm back to SP2 again and still without Volume Control and Sound
    >> Recorder.
    >> Anyone?
    >>
    >> Terry
    >>

    >> "Bether" <Bether@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Terry, I am having the same trouble. Can't find the volume control
    >> > icon
    >> > and can't add it. If you have figured it out, please let me know.
    >> > Thanks, Beth

Microsoft Windows XP