Sign in with
Your question

Question about Power supply and PCI-E

Last response: in Components
February 28, 2005 6:18:10 PM

I'm in the process of building my first PC (first PC built, not first PC owned). The new power supply article has me a bit confused on here.

I've purchased a PCI-Express motherboard to support my Athlon 3800+ processor, and I got an Antec True 550 Power supply to power everything (overkill, I know, but I like to upgrade frequently, and don't want to have to get a new power supply). Will this power supply support my PCI-E motherboard? The article implied that I need an ATX12V 2.01 power supply for PCI-Express, and I'm unsure if this power supply meets that requirement.

Thanks in advance!
February 28, 2005 8:48:14 PM

I don't know that all pcie motherboards have 24pin power connections on them yet but lots do. If yours does need a 24pin psu the regular true550 (has 20pin connector) will probably work on the board with a 24pin adaptor. The true550 eps12v is the one with a 24pin connector. I wonder why toms didn't grab it for the benchmarks, it is a good psu :( 

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
February 28, 2005 11:20:01 PM

Unfortunately, it's got 24 pins, so it looks like the adapter will be necessary. Thanks for your help!
!