2005/02 PSU review, where's PC Power & Cooling?

RichPLS

Champion
They left a lot out.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
My thoughts exactly!! Enermax, Zippy, Fortron Source, Antec... all the better usual suspects, but no PC Power & Cooling. I'd bet the $229 retail price for the Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe probably had something to do with it's omission.
Or, perhaps the PC P&C units aren't as well respected in Europe as they are here in the US.

"Nuke em till they glow, shoot em after dark"

256KillaBitch

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2005
I was pretty excited about this review until I saw the line-up. I'm about to buy an OCZ Modstream and would've liked a review from THG on it but oh well. Besides OCZ where's Thermaltake, Fortron, Sparkle Power, Vantec, Hercules and Heroichi? I'm guessing the reviewed brands are more prevalent outside of the U.S.?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Do they buy the hardware for their reviews or borrow samples from the manufacturer.

Either way I can see how they will end up not having supplies from every manufacturer.

What will be nice is if they keep reviewing more supplies using the same methodology.

I nice summary chart at the end would have been nice as well.

G

Aren't FSP and Sparkle the same company now? In any event I guess this review was not quite as good as I thought it was... :frown:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PC Power and Cooling have been consider as the best PSU manufacturer for many years. The only problem is that their PSU is very expensive.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tell PC P&C that they'd better pony up next time or you won't buy their product!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
BTW, nice job on the updated FAQ! I like the SATA part the best. Hows the new job?

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
New job, I get paid around 6 bux an hour for a job that pays the regulars 14 dollars an hour starting. And the company is looking to hire some temps to perm soon, for their 3 year hiring cycle, but I won't have my time in for the hire. After 6 months my temp status runs out and I have to find a new job, which is probably the best part of the whole deal.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dougjensen

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
It is suspicious that PCP&C was left out -- for example, it is always selected by Maximum PC for their annual cost-is-no-object ultimate PC.

--
Doug

dougjensen

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
I consider this review to have dubious technical credibility since they ignored the essential topic of what temperature to measure the power at. The only power rating that matters is about 40C which is a real world temperature -- just get an IR thermometer (about US$40) and you will see for yourself. Vendors and reviewers all turn a blind eye to the reality since they want to use artificially inflated power ratings. PCP&C is about the only manufacturer I know of that is honest about their power ratings. As a rule of thumb, you can assume that all other PSU's are about half the power they claim when used in a real system, especially a high end system.

--
Doug

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Man you need to get out of that state. Just from hearing some of the things you have said about how things work there is enough to keep me from ever passing through.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"