Sign in with
Your question

D3dx9_42.dll error

Last response: in Video Games
February 1, 2012 2:04:34 PM

Hi,

I recieved my new gaming Pc two days ago and upon trying after installing Witcher 2, the following message appeared when trying to launch the game:

Witcher2.exe - bad image
C:\windows\system32\d3dx9_42.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

I thought this was just a problem with the disc, of which I had semi confirmed with myself when installing The original Witcher and Crysis without any problems, both of which run fine.
It wasnt until yesterday evening that I realised the same error occurs with Dirt 3. I uninstalled then reinstalled with no luck.

I have read somewhere that this can be linked with "games for windows" games, and this appears semi correct, in my case anyway.

I have searched though many forums looking to resolve this issue and have followed all instructions read. I.e install directx9 runtimes etc, and when this is completed, the pc tells me I already have an equivelant or newer version of direct x, of which I do. My gtx 570 and I5 processor should have no problems running either game.

Any ideas on what to do in regards to this? Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I currently have a brand new pc which is limited to a handfull of games.

Many Thanks

Michael

More about : d3dx9 dll error

February 1, 2012 2:13:37 PM

When u installed the DirectX does it has the file 42.dll in it?
February 1, 2012 2:29:26 PM

Hi venjhammet,

I am unsure of this as I recieved this as a custom build from Aria.co.uk and windows 7 was pre-installed on the ssd when it arrived.
Where abouts within my pc could I find this file to see if it exists?
also, is there any way of reinstalling DirectX should there be a problem?

Thanks for the speedy reply
February 1, 2012 2:41:42 PM

if the game you're installing requires special dx drivers they usually come with the game and are automatically installed. If not check the game CD for directx folder with installation.

For all your other questions read the error message that you get please... it tells you exactly where the file is supposed to be.
February 1, 2012 3:23:39 PM

That's a common directx error when directx was not installed with the game.

You should try reinstalling the game;

or reinstall directx in the directx folder in the root folder of the game disc;

if that doesn't work, google the latest directx sdk and install it (from microsoft page only).
February 1, 2012 4:30:09 PM

updating the dx redist from the games own installer files is essential. every game that you install that comes with a dx redist should auto install it. but if it doesnt you must...

also try installing a new version of games for windows live... that should update your ddl's for some games.
February 1, 2012 4:44:49 PM

wifiwolf, I've tried re-installing the witcher 2 about 3 times with no luck. How do I reinstall directx into the root folder of the game disc? I can find any downloads for this on the microsoft website. I tried installing the latest sdk but i could not select a folder for it to install in, it kept saying cannot install in root folder, dispite the fact I selected windows/system32.

HEXit - is that the windows live client on the xbox website?
February 1, 2012 5:24:19 PM

mikeypc87 said:
wifiwolf, I've tried re-installing the witcher 2 about 3 times with no luck. How do I reinstall directx into the root folder of the game disc? I can find any downloads for this on the microsoft website. I tried installing the latest sdk but i could not select a folder for it to install in, it kept saying cannot install in root folder, dispite the fact I selected windows/system32.

HEXit - is that the windows live client on the xbox website?

I just meant you try using that installer in the root folder of the game
"<drive>\directx\dxsetup"

you don't need to install it in any particular folder. It will just update.
February 1, 2012 5:52:58 PM

yes its the gfwl client...
also the dx redist for the game will be on the disk in a redist folder or sinilar. if its not there it will be in the install folder that you put the game in. just brows the folder and run dxsetup like wifi says.
February 2, 2012 6:58:13 AM

Just like what everybody said there is this folder DirectX inside your CD installer which u might want to look up. If u found it usually inside that DirectX folder consists of rar files like 39.dll, 40.dll,41.dll, ..etc. 42.dll should be there too. Just run the Setup to install that DirectX.
!