New case\psu for custom build

mikesimo77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
I'm building a computer for a good friend of mine. He is not a tech guy. He will mostly be using it for getting on the internet and using office. However he will be playing some games. The newest NASCAR title is what he'll be doing most of. But he is not a gammer. I wouldn't be supprised if over the course of 3 years he gets 3 games (all being NASCAR). Since he will be playing some demanding games, and I'd like it to last him a little while, his build is shaping up like this:

CPU: AMD64 3000+ 939
RAM: 512mb Kingston DDR 400
Vid: Gf6600

EDIT: forgot to mention the 6600 is pci express x16

My question is, how much power do I need to run that set up? After that what brands should I use? I'm also trying to save him some cash. So is there a case with psu out there that you guys would recomend? Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mikesimo77 on 03/03/05 11:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Champion
I would at least get a good 400 watt for a start, more if you add on or upgrade, I am using an Antec True 430watt but have second hard drive.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
get an antec case/psu combo
very cheap and good
around 100$
no bells or whistles but solid
rated the best psu manufacter by many sites
look em up on newegg

your all just a bunch of slaves
how long you gonna let them push you around

G

You know, what you're saying makes good sense Arnie and its's correct, but DAMNIT I WANT BELLS AND WHISTLES FOR ONCE!!! :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

mikesimo77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
won't pci-e motherboards need a 24pin connection? How do I make sure the PSU has 24pins? I've been all over newegg and none of the psu's say anything about 20 or 24 pins.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
This one should do it for ya...
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0" target="_new">Fortron Blue Storm</A>

Plus it has a catchy name...:)

....WW (5.0)

mikesimo77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
Thanks for the suggestion. But how did you know that one had 24pins on it? Also I'm trying to save this guy some money. Are there cheaper 24pin PSU's? or is this about what I can expect? Thanks.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
But how did you know that one had 24pins on it?
Because I bought it.
It also comes with an adapter to 20 pin which is what I had to use on this mobo. However, when I upgrade I should be good to go.

To find out certain spec on PSUs you might visit the manufacturers website and/or email them.

....WW (5.0)

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Also...with a little shopping you can find a decent case w/o a PSU for around $30. The case is one place to save money without affecting your system, trying to save money on the PSU can be risky.

My first case was a $25 steel case. It was nothing fancy, was easy to mod and I still have it in the garage to use on the next one I build for my kid.

....WW (5.0)

mikesimo77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
Thanks. I found a steel case for about $30. I've also found a few PSU's that I believe will work. Thanks for your help.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
yeah i know
i wanna get a lian-li
with sli and all kinds of stuff
but can i really afford it?

your all just a bunch of slaves
how long you gonna let them push you around

G

Yeah, I know :frown:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>