Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will my rig run Skyrim with maxxed out graphics?

Last response: in Video Games
February 1, 2012 7:15:48 PM

Hi i was considering getting skyrim. I recently purchased an entry level gaming Pc which runs wow and SwtoR maxxed out perfectly fine. I was wondering if my rig would run it maxxed out because that would be awesome!! heres my stats:

AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more)

CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card

650 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU

1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
February 1, 2012 8:15:40 PM

Your graphics card is adequate, but your CPU may struggle. However I don't know that much about how Skyrim runs on Bulldozer. I would say that if you can't completely max out vanilla Skyrim, you will get pretty close. =)
Score
February 1, 2012 8:36:56 PM

Hi :) 

I doubt it on that card...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
Related resources
February 1, 2012 8:44:53 PM

Neither the graphics card nor the processor is strong enough, but the CPU will be the biggest problem. Skyrim is largely CPU-limited, and it really takes a 2500K to max it out. I think high settings look pretty good, though :p 
Score
February 1, 2012 8:52:10 PM

no not even close. cpu is way to weak
Score
February 1, 2012 9:54:21 PM

I'm playing Skyrim at 50-60 fps with a Phenom II x6 1055t at 3.5 Ghz and a 1gb 6850. I play at high settings with AA off because at 1080p AA is really that noticable for me. :D 
Score

Best solution

February 1, 2012 10:09:47 PM

it should run maxed out in theory, but more and more people who run this game on the 4100 are saying there having issues with low fps...
fully patch the game then get over to the skyrim nexus and pick up the performance mods. you should get 40-60 fps in most areas on max settings with fsaa turned off. for some reason the aa settings in skyrim don't like amd cards...

if you dont get the mods you will only be able to run at high settings and will struggle to stay over 20 fps in towns.

to be honest if the complaints continue much longer my standard reply will turn into send the cpu back and get a phenom 2

February 1, 2012 10:11:56 PM

Blorp Kola said:
I'm playing Skyrim at 50-60 fps with a Phenom II x6 1055t at 3.5 Ghz and a 1gb 6850. I play at high settings with AA off because at 1080p AA is really that noticable for me. :D 

Do you just click the high settings button or do you manually set everything to high. cause if you do the first then thats not surprising. thats some medium settings and low settings mixed with high settings.

also on an overclock i7 2600k i dont see a fps difference between high and ultra. outside its about 110 fps then in a city it goes from 60-100 fps. not until i set the water settings and fxaa do i see a slow down.

phenoms and fx series cpu's just are good enough for this game because with a 6850 and a good cpu the game should be maxed out.
Score
February 2, 2012 6:52:24 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Heres a good question. Would it look better on my rig or xbox360?
Score
February 2, 2012 7:46:16 AM

some body slap him....
Score
February 2, 2012 8:00:23 AM

patch just released for optimization and should run fairly smooth but i still have doubts about the 4100.
Score
February 2, 2012 8:09:06 AM

cbrunnem said:
no not even close. cpu is way to weak

I think your a clown and your an intel fanboy aint ya ;) 

its not the cpu its the GPU but it will run its good enough and just turn off MSAA and all should be well for gaming at about 50 ish fps.

i have 3 rigs and all play it no problem on 2 AMD and 1 intel system.

955BE with 6870
FX-8150 6970
Intel 3930K and 3 x 6970.

so dont let anybody tell you its the CPU or GPU its just MSAA that will kill the game for you
Score
February 2, 2012 8:10:37 AM

dmartelli84 said:
Thanks for the info guys. Heres a good question. Would it look better on my rig or xbox360?

LOL console you must be having a laugh at that being better than a PC.

go troll another forum with that comment sunshine
Score
February 2, 2012 8:45:19 AM

Spoony said:

its not the cpu its the GPU but it will run its good enough and just turn off MSAA and all should be well for gaming at about 50 ish fps.

955BE with 6870
FX-8150 6970

so dont let anybody tell you its the CPU or GPU its just MSAA that will kill the game for you

the 4100 wasnt able to run it well on high when i had one at 4.4ghz.
maybe the patch with its optimizations can change that a bit
Score
February 2, 2012 9:28:42 AM

lol the 4100 wasnt able to run it,

how do you work that out when the 955BE is pretty much the same CPU ?

and yes the patch has made a big different to low end pc gaming and also very high end pc builds since its no longer just running 2gb or ram it uses 4gb and better crossfire scaling and also GPU support.

Score
February 2, 2012 9:46:13 AM

Spoony said:
lol the 4100 wasnt able to run it,

how do you work that out when the 955BE is pretty much the same CPU ?

and yes the patch has made a big different to low end pc gaming and also very high end pc builds since its no longer just running 2gb or ram it uses 4gb and better crossfire scaling and also GPU support.

the 955 is pretty much the same cpu as the 4100? LMAO
they have entirely different architecture, the phenom II being clock per clock faster than FX. the 4100 is about the equiv of a PIIx4 925 and cant even match up to the 955 especially when overclocked. i would know cause i have had both of those. WEI and countless benchmarks ive done with both the 925 and the 4100 left me wanting a PII BE which i then got.
I had the ram fix to 4gb before it got patched and it still didnt make a difference with the 4100. the reason it should run better now is because of optimizations to the game.
dont give assumed information to someone when you dont know what youre talking about
Score
February 2, 2012 9:54:51 AM

Spoony said:
LOL console you must be having a laugh at that being better than a PC.

go troll another forum with that comment sunshine

how is this trolling? OP is obviously new to pc's and is asking for help, not to be put down by someone that doesnt know much themselves.
Score
February 2, 2012 11:02:35 AM

I am using an i3-2120, 4GB of RAM, and a GTX 260 (cost me £36) and I am running Skyrim on all max settings at 1080p.

I don't know what my framerates are, but I can tell you it is perfectly playable, looks beautiful and there is no lag.
Score
February 2, 2012 11:04:10 AM

My post is only useful if you are considering buying the system, and are considering other components, sorry. But it should be noted that your card is considerably more powerful than my GTX260, but the processor is weaker.

Skyrim is very tough on the processor, so it might be worth upgrading, either to a better FX- series or even a Sandy Bridge.
Score
February 2, 2012 11:15:05 AM

Here's an interesting twist. If you're willing to play it on XBOX360 then do yourself a favor and run it on PC (at lower settings if you must). The reason being: MODS!!!

Oblivion's mods literally changed the game dynamics and just when you got tired of the game (hundreds of hours later) a new mod would come out and blow away everyone's mind. I expect Skyrim's mods to be no different.

Keep in mind that there are mods to improve performance while maintaining a similar if not better visual (i.e. SkyBoost made a 50% performance boost for me prior to yesterday's patch). This makes a huge difference for people like me who play Skyrim with 3D Vision : )

Bottom line, your PC should run the game fine (be it at high settings if not Ultra).
Score
February 2, 2012 11:18:02 AM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
Here's an interesting twist. If you're willing to play it on XBOX360 then do yourself a favor and run it on PC (at lower settings if you must). The reason being: MODS!!!

Oblivion's mods literally changed the game dynamics and just when you got tired of the game (hundreds of hours later) a new mod would come out and blow away everyone's mind. I expect Skyrim's mods to be no different.

Keep in mind that there are mods to improve performance while maintaining a similar if not better visual (i.e. SkyBoost made a 50% performance boost for me prior to yesterday's patch). This makes a huge difference for people like me who play Skyrim with 3D Vision : )

Bottom line, your PC should run the game fine (be it at high settings if not Ultra).

well said alex

beers for you my son
Score
February 2, 2012 12:30:22 PM

Spoony said:

955BE with 6870
FX-8150 6970

go away
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-...
Score
February 2, 2012 12:48:37 PM

lol and you think those charts tell the story then do you ?

tell you what, find a chart with todays drivers and fixes and also bios updates and also with the relivant info about the FX4100 like hes put and i might believe you but since thats not possible and those charts are false and old stop posting stupid info and go back to playing your console.

come back and argue with me with some REAL INFO kid, cos what you have there isnt even close to what build he wants and things have changed ALOT since

Score
February 2, 2012 1:09:01 PM

The 4100 is pretty low end, i would say medium or high settings (depending on resolution)
Score
February 2, 2012 1:54:29 PM

Spoony said:

tell you what, find a chart with todays drivers and fixes and also bios updates and also with the relivant info about the FX4100 like hes put and i might believe you but since thats not possible and those charts are false and old stop posting stupid info and go back to playing your console.

come back and argue with me with some REAL INFO kid, cos what you have there isnt even close to what build he wants and things have changed ALOT since

saying as your acting like the big man on campus. lets see your benchmarks for skyrim...
infact lets see what that i7 x3 crossfire can do... run a full suit of em like toms does and post the results. im sure we will all find them interesting...
Score
February 2, 2012 2:03:39 PM

HEXiT said:
saying as your acting like the big man on campus. lets see your benchmarks for skyrim...
infact lets see what that i7 x3 crossfire can do... run a full suit of em like toms does and post the results. im sure we will all find them interesting...

ok will do some test sort out a fresh post and put them up.

you want skyrim ? heaven 2.5 ? avp ? vantage ? you want eyefinity score aswell as normal ?

will post screenshots no probs might even get some fraps videos in if i got time for them after work.

name your poison
Score
February 2, 2012 2:24:54 PM

The trolls are out in force today...
Score
February 2, 2012 6:05:36 PM

Spoony said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a... (1/30/2012)
Score
February 2, 2012 10:00:28 PM

Thanks for that last. Enough, spoony. The data is against you. Unless you have some freak 2500K-equivalent 955, I can't believe that you're getting decent framerates on Ultra with AA.
Score
February 3, 2012 11:48:18 AM

If I may.

The benchmarks are a "good to know' type of data. When I've looked at them, it answered the following questions to me.

1 - Will my machine be able to run it stock (no mods incl.)
2- Will my machine be powerful enough to play the game in 3D.

However, for me at least, these benchmarks aren't even close to what my actual results are because I've already added a bunch of mods (HD Texture Packs, and performance enhancers) so sometimes I'll have 60+ FPS in 3D with settings that exceed ULTRA and other times I'll get 5 FPS (HD Textures and towns kills performance on my PC). If you're not going to play with mods (which I think is a shame if you've invested in Skyrim) then yes, Toms benchmarks are really usefull but add mods into the mix and you've got nothing to rely on but your own tests of performance.

That said, use FXAA, it'll make a difference. But, if you're playing 1080p, don't use the traditional AA, it's a waste of system resources!!!
Score
February 3, 2012 5:21:13 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
If I may.

The benchmarks are a "good to know' type of data. When I've looked at them, it answered the following questions to me.

1 - Will my machine be able to run it stock (no mods incl.)
2- Will my machine be powerful enough to play the game in 3D.

However, for me at least, these benchmarks aren't even close to what my actual results are because I've already added a bunch of mods (HD Texture Packs, and performance enhancers) so sometimes I'll have 60+ FPS in 3D with settings that exceed ULTRA and other times I'll get 5 FPS (HD Textures and towns kills performance on my PC). If you're not going to play with mods (which I think is a shame if you've invested in Skyrim) then yes, Toms benchmarks are really usefull but add mods into the mix and you've got nothing to rely on but your own tests of performance.

That said, use FXAA, it'll make a difference. But, if you're playing 1080p, don't use the traditional AA, it's a waste of system resources!!!

well said alex, my point exactly, i HAVE mods installed for all types of stuff i get MAX 65fps and no lower than 60, regardless of playing in 1 screen in 1920x1200 or in 5760x1200 with a wide screen fix since the game is console optimised to run at 60 fps. doesnt matter what i have running i get the same results ever time from 1 card to 3 cards and the cpu over clocked or not its always the same FPS, .

i love it when clowns ALWAYS see the results on a chart on a forum or website and think EVER pc is going to be the same as that when it clearly wont be the same.

Score
February 3, 2012 6:57:44 PM

Spoony said:
ok will do some test sort out a fresh post and put them up.

you want skyrim ? heaven 2.5 ? avp ? vantage ? you want eyefinity score aswell as normal ?

will post screenshots no probs might even get some fraps videos in if i got time for them after work.

name your poison

yeah all of em if you can. as it would be nice to see what a system of that size will do. and whether it actualy makes a difference for the money spent.
Score
February 3, 2012 7:29:41 PM

true i agree if its well spent or not is the most important thing.

see i got the 3 x 6970 as a replacement for 1 Asus Ares that had a DP port problem and i never got it back so had a credit and had to make to with what i have now :S nbot the best but was good enough for the moment.

and as a sign of im not talking *** i have my photobucket account here with pictures to prove my pc builds in various forms with cards and so forth.

other *** in the too btw

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/Swiss_Invaders...

this is dirt 3 on eyefinity in ultra detail ingame

VANTAGE

http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3822907

3DMARK 11

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2567513

tweeking as we speak on all results
Score
February 3, 2012 7:30:31 PM

btw i will add more screen shots to this and show things like heaven scores and so forth
Score
February 3, 2012 10:13:40 PM

Im sorry, but how does this help OP ? If you want to brag then post some pics in the system gallery thread; that would be more appropriate.
To answer op yes, you can run Skyrim but may have to bring it down a notch on the settings. That is coming from someone that had played.Skyrim on a 4100. Im.not bashing.fx or amd and am.not a fanboy, Im just giving you real advice from experience
Score
February 5, 2012 5:26:53 PM

Spoony said:
btw i will add more screen shots to this and show things like heaven scores and so forth

glad to see the cards scale so well i was doubtful that they would reach 40 fps on gfx test 4 as thats the most demanding if i remember correctly... but over 40 fps is quite impressive... but i am a little surprised at the dirt 3 results i thought they would be way higher. then again it may only be using 2 of the 3 cards. as i know ati had problems with crossfire readying the game.
still i wouldnt like your electric bill :) 
Score
February 5, 2012 5:31:26 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
Im sorry, but how does this help OP ? If you want to brag then post some pics in the system gallery thread; that would be more appropriate.
To answer op yes, you can run Skyrim but may have to bring it down a notch on the settings. That is coming from someone that had played.Skyrim on a 4100. Im.not bashing.fx or amd and am.not a fanboy, Im just giving you real advice from experience

i think he got his answer earlier this week and hasnt been back since from what i can tell. so we just carried on the discussion .... no big deal...
occasionally i find its best to have a chat in a topic as you get to know your fellow users rather than just spouting specs all day...
i only use 2 sections of the forum as a whole the main pc systems thread and pc games... in both sections theres no real way to chat and get to know you guys...
so an occasional off topic chat in a finished topic doesn hurt any 1...

Score
February 5, 2012 10:29:52 PM

I tend to not want to feed the epeen monster though
Score
February 6, 2012 3:02:40 PM

epeen monster though ??? sorry m8 i dont read books much so if thats a literary reference i didnt get it... but if thats your feellings towards other users then yeah i know that some just dont wanna chat. asking uses to post specs serves 2 purposes... it shows you and the forum they have the kit they claim to have and what skill level there at by what benches they prefer to show off there system with...
kids and younger (20-30) users will tend to go for the bells and whistles of 3d mark and some demanding ingame benches. while over-clockers will go for superpi... old men like me will often go for passmark, crysis or sandra so it gives more of an idea who your dealing with...
from what spoony has posted i would say hes l8 20's to early 30's in a reasonably well paying job. single and content to be so for the time being ;) 
Score
February 6, 2012 3:33:08 PM

LOL HEXiT

sorta close on my count, 34 getting married this year soon to be wife is pregnant with our 1st and my job was Military not saying more on that part cos of job, i got for all round details but i DONT look at benchmarks much i looks and read about game stats for fps and loading times and such like, sure i still benchmark and overclock stuff and make videos, but its all round for me on my stuff i buy. so your not really close on what im like ;P also another thing you should note is that ALL PC's are alittle different, like mine for starters against tests performs better in some but worse in others that are shown on the net, so does that make mine a problem or a good thing ?

i have a multitude of games and programs and all iver done so far gave different results to the tests due to one main reason, updates in software.

drivers, bios, patches the whole 9 yards. if im honest though i would rather have my old GPU's back and older set of drivers as they kicked more arse than todays tech i have now.
Score
February 6, 2012 6:05:05 PM

HEXiT said:
epeen monster though ??? sorry m8 i dont read books much so if thats a literary reference i didnt get it... but if thats your feellings towards other users then yeah i know that some just dont wanna chat. asking uses to post specs serves 2 purposes... it shows you and the forum they have the kit they claim to have and what skill level there at by what benches they prefer to show off there system with...
kids and younger (20-30) users will tend to go for the bells and whistles of 3d mark and some demanding ingame benches. while over-clockers will go for superpi... old men like me will often go for passmark, crysis or sandra so it gives more of an idea who your dealing with...
from what spoony has posted i would say hes l8 20's to early 30's in a reasonably well paying job. single and content to be so for the time being ;) 

theres a spot on the forum for that i was just making sure you guys knew thats all.
Score
February 6, 2012 6:54:41 PM

not a bad guess lol..
single? what gave it away was that no wife in there rite mind will allow there hubby to spend so much on a pc when they have kids to look after... at least none i know...
early 30's? is when blokes have more money to spend as they ease off on drinks with there bro's as they settle down.
decent job... well you couldn't afford such a pc if you were struggling to make rent...
its not a science just basic deduction...
Score
February 6, 2012 9:27:44 PM

HEXiT said:
i think he got his answer earlier this week and hasnt been back since from what i can tell. so we just carried on the discussion .... no big deal...
occasionally i find its best to have a chat in a topic as you get to know your fellow users rather than just spouting specs all day...
i only use 2 sections of the forum as a whole the main pc systems thread and pc games... in both sections theres no real way to chat and get to know you guys...
so an occasional off topic chat in a finished topic doesn hurt any 1...

Speaking of getting to know each other better, I was wondering if we could ever start a chat room on old mIRC? If anyone here is still familiar with it?
Score
February 6, 2012 11:35:54 PM

JackNaylorPE's got a family and several high-end builds.
Score
February 7, 2012 3:40:59 AM

id rather it was just chat threads as chat rooms tend to lead to cliques forming, resulting in bias or even bullying... worse still it could degenerate into chat about American wrestling... i saw this on another site where the mods wernt supposed to take sides but often did unintentionally. then on the forums when sum1 disagreed with the cliques point of view they were not only ridiculed but if they were neg reped by 1 they all jumped on the neg rep wagon... basically riding roughshod over the forum...

so nah i wouldn't bother with a chat room as it can bring out the worst in people who are generally quite nice. best to have a random thread stickied so every 1 can use it and join in on every forum, that way the mods that are already monitoring that section can keep things in order... as chatrooms can seem quite intimidating to non regulars. but a chat topic is something they wont be scared to jump in on.
Score
February 7, 2012 3:56:27 AM

HEXiT said:
not a bad guess lol..
single? what gave it away was that no wife in there rite mind will allow there hubby to spend so much on a pc when they have kids to look after... at least none i know...
early 30's? is when blokes have more money to spend as they ease off on drinks with there bro's as they settle down.
decent job... well you couldn't afford such a pc if you were struggling to make rent...
its not a science just basic deduction...

well i guess in some case your powers can be wrong ;) 

dont drink much if at all, have a bike and 2 cars and the GF is the main bread winner in our house, she buys me things for my PC aswell as myself for birthdays and Xmas so upgrades ever 6 months :D 

living in switzerland is an advantage, swiss wages pay 4 time my UK job with more perks but buy gear from the UK which is cheaper and saves money again ;) 

all about the bargains bro ;) 
Score
February 7, 2012 11:57:07 AM

Spoony, when is your country going to change their piracy laws so our rich American neighbours (I’m Canadian) can stop complaining about their intellectual property being violated? I’m not sure their new SOPA is the answer and given that your neighbours (Asians as a whole) account for about 80% of “illegal downloads” (according to US laws that is) I think their shooting themselves in the foot but reducing the one thing their country is about: Freedom (in this case, reducing Internet Freedom).

As for the OP, here’s some useful links for you (you’ll run the game fine, just not at ultra settings. These should dramatically improve your performance.

Drivers: Download the latest drivers (that means uninstall the current drivers, reboot, install new/latest drivers):
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Patches: Steam will automatically patch your game to the latest version (which improved performance a lot BTW, nevermind those benchmarks!)

Tweak Guides: Tweakguides.com has a pretty good one for you (Radeon user). Given your GPU, I wouldn’t rely on Nvidia’s tweak guide so much.

Hope you like the game!
Score
February 7, 2012 12:14:24 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
Spoony, when is your country going to change their piracy laws so our rich American neighbours (I’m Canadian) can stop complaining about their intellectual property being violated? I’m not sure their new SOPA is the answer and given that your neighbours (Asians as a whole) account for about 80% of “illegal downloads” (according to US laws that is) I think their shooting themselves in the foot but reducing the one thing their country is about: Freedom (in this case, reducing Internet Freedom).

As for the OP, here’s some useful links for you (you’ll run the game fine, just not at ultra settings. These should dramatically improve your performance.

Drivers: Download the latest drivers (that means uninstall the current drivers, reboot, install new/latest drivers):
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Patches: Steam will automatically patch your game to the latest version (which improved performance a lot BTW, nevermind those benchmarks!)

Tweak Guides: Tweakguides.com has a pretty good one for you (Radeon user). Given your GPU, I wouldn’t rely on Nvidia’s tweak guide so much.

Hope you like the game!

Hey Alex

the yanks wont change there ways they think they know best for the whole world always been the way and always wil be but they arre only making themselves look stupid by acting like they do, i mean the UK is no much better but we atleast do take care of our own first before messing in other countries.

you know what makes me laugh the most and this is a good one is they think they have the best and the brightest in the world for all things doesnt matter what it is they just do BUT they cant even count or add or subtract, thaats why the country is totally screwed but the they mess there's up and it screws us all over around the world and that is the sad thing :( 

anyway my games run all good bro, cheers for the link but i beta test drivers for AMD and im testing the creation tool for skyrim already along with a few game changing mods that will be out this week i would think. might even get that mod tool today or tomorrow ;P but i said nothing "cough"

all games i have run on ultra in eyefinity mode at a res of 5760x1200 or 3600x1920 so all is goo bro ;P

Score
February 7, 2012 2:06:14 PM

Wow off topic much?

Honestly, OP's rig will run Skyrim fine at 1080p. For sure at Medium probably at High. The game isn't terribly GPU demanding, and his CPU clock is pretty high. The game doesn't really multithread very well, I think my only concern with an FX CPU is that it might run 2 threads off 1 core pair, which would be worse than 1 thread per core pair.
Score
!