ThIrDeYe

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
Is there a way to check if a PSU is working w/o connecting to a Mobo or peripherals? I bought a unit that is not compatible w/ my Dell mobo. I don't want to return it because I will be building a new system soon. Other than installing it in my friends PC, how can I make sre the PSU is working? Thanks in advance for all replies

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
On a regular atx power supply you can switch on the power supply by shorting the small green wire with any black ground wire (just put a wire, paperclip, etc connecting them). That will at least show if the fans spin I guess.
Or just put it in a friends computer.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
A paperclip and 110 volts. You should change your nic to MacGyver.

LOL

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
A PSU does not deliver 110 volts down any of its rails. The most is 12 volts (ever touch a 12v battery, it dont kill you).since metal is a better conductor than flesh and electrisity always follows the path of least resistance there is no harm in putting a paper clip on the PSU.

Just short pins 13and 14 with the clip (leave it in there for as long as you want the PSU on).

G

That's one of those logic is sound but do I really wanna try it things

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Static Electricity can stop a human heart from beating.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

RichPLS

Champion
And likewise, you can survive 100,000 volts...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

G

guess it depends on the person :cool:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Glad the wife uses static free sheets in the dryer, although I've been hit with 220V a few times - NOT fun.

G

Happened to me once as a kid also. Grammy just gave me some Tylenol and told me to sit on the couch and watch TV.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>