Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

I am trying to run Advanced System Optimizer, System Cleaner, which I have
run before, but not it will not go past 14% completion before displaying the
abnormal program termination error message. Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
Library Runtime Error. Is there somewhere I can download the missing file,
or is there a file missing, or do I need to reinstall XP Home (please say no
to this!) Thanks for the help. David
3 answers Last reply
More about microsoft visual runtime error

    Hi / Bonjour *David* :

    > I am trying to run Advanced System Optimizer, System Cleaner, which I have
    > run before, but not it will not go past 14% completion before displaying the
    > abnormal program termination error message. Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
    > Library Runtime Error. Is there somewhere I can download the missing file,
    > or is there a file missing, or do I need to reinstall XP Home (please say no
    > to this!) Thanks for the help. David

    Wait a minute David !

    You have a problem with this "Advanced System Optimizer"
    and you think to reinstall Windows xp ??? Come on...

    First of all what is this "Advanced System Optimizer" ?

    This sounds "magic"... right ?
    If it's one of those Registry optimizer, doctor, repair and blah blah blah ?

    What kind of problem you expect to solve with this ?
    Tell us about those problems instead !

    Some reading about that kind of tool:
    in this news group :
    From: Claude LaFrenière= <No_InterNUT@AntiPebkac.org>
    Subject: Re: Registery Cleaner
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
    Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:09:52 -0400

    Read also the advice of James A. Eshelman[MVP] about *bugaboo utilities* :
    http://aumha.org/a/health.htm

    Don't "bugaboose" your Windows XP ! :-D
    Let us know.

    :)
    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net
    Soon on www.msmvps.com
    Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

    Thanks, Claude, however, I believe you misunderstood my question. I thought
    Visual C++ was a language used in XP among other OS's to write programs.
    Yes, I realize the System Optimizer may be a bugaboo program, but since I
    don't know that much about the registry, this is the main reason I purchased
    this "utility" It may be only a placebo, but it does seem to have made my
    computer more efficient and perhaps a little faster. You are right, however,
    one probably does not need such goodies. It may interest you to know that I
    just found that the program was hanging up on some photos in a "My Documents"
    folder brought there from my handheld. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    via con Dios. David

    "Claude LaFrenière" wrote:

    > Hi / Bonjour *David* :
    >
    > > I am trying to run Advanced System Optimizer, System Cleaner, which I have
    > > run before, but not it will not go past 14% completion before displaying the
    > > abnormal program termination error message. Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
    > > Library Runtime Error. Is there somewhere I can download the missing file,
    > > or is there a file missing, or do I need to reinstall XP Home (please say no
    > > to this!) Thanks for the help. David
    >
    > Wait a minute David !
    >
    > You have a problem with this "Advanced System Optimizer"
    > and you think to reinstall Windows xp ??? Come on...
    >
    > First of all what is this "Advanced System Optimizer" ?
    >
    > This sounds "magic"... right ?
    > If it's one of those Registry optimizer, doctor, repair and blah blah blah ?
    >
    > What kind of problem you expect to solve with this ?
    > Tell us about those problems instead !
    >
    > Some reading about that kind of tool:
    > in this news group :
    > From: Claude LaFrenière= <No_InterNUT@AntiPebkac.org>
    > Subject: Re: Registery Cleaner
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
    > Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:09:52 -0400
    >
    > Read also the advice of James A. Eshelman[MVP] about *bugaboo utilities* :
    > http://aumha.org/a/health.htm
    >
    > Don't "bugaboose" your Windows XP ! :-D
    > Let us know.
    >
    > :)
    > --
    > Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)
    >
    > «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    > Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    > http://climenole.serendipia.net
    > Soon on www.msmvps.com
    > Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

    Hi / Bonjour *David Kirkpatrick* :

    > Thanks, Claude, however, I believe you misunderstood my question. I thought
    > Visual C++ was a language used in XP among other OS's to write programs.
    > Yes, I realize the System Optimizer may be a bugaboo program, but since I
    > don't know that much about the registry, this is the main reason I purchased
    > this "utility" It may be only a placebo, but it does seem to have made my
    > computer more efficient and perhaps a little faster. You are right, however,
    > one probably does not need such goodies. It may interest you to know that I
    > just found that the program was hanging up on some photos in a "My Documents"
    > folder brought there from my handheld. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    > via con Dios. David

    1-
    The best things to do first is to check in the logs to see if there is
    warnings or errors related to this problem of hanging...

    Start | Run | eventvwr.msc

    Hints for events id:
    http://www.eventid.net/

    2-
    Check on which specific file the program is hanging
    then try to access this file with an other program to
    determine if the problem comes from the file or from
    the program...

    3-
    This problem of hanging may be related to Hard Disk bad clusters...
    Check in the logs for errors with the source=disk and event id = 7,41,55

    It's a good idea to run chkdsk to fix thoses problems:
    Windows explorer | right click on disk icon |
    properties | tab "tools" | "check errors" | check both options
    ok and restart your computer

    or

    Start | Run | cmd | chkdsk X: /F /V ,
    Where X= disk volume

    For the results in applications log:
    Souce : Winlogon
    ID : 1001

    No more idea for this moment...

    Let us know.

    :)

    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net
    Soon on / Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

Visual C++ Microsoft Runtime Windows XP