Computer running slow

In the last few days, my Gateway with Windows XP computer has started running
slow. I have run my Antivirus and my spyware, but that has not corrected the
problem. I have also cleaned out unused programs and degragged the hard
drive. I don't really know what else to do. Am I missing something? This
laptop is only 2 years old and has been running fine until this week. Help!!!
3 answers Last reply
More about computer running slow

    you're problem is nothing new. this problem has encountered my gateway too.
    go to www.pcpitstop.com go to fulltests then new members then click on test
    annonymosly. (makesure youre using internet explorer!) then take the pc
    health test.. remember if you get a yellow or a red flag. on one of you
    devices open the flag and see what the problem is they willl help you with
    what is causing the problems. checkered flag is winner means the device is
    working up to potential. yellow is minor problem red is major. if you have
    trouble with that post back.

    "Angie1102" wrote:

    > In the last few days, my Gateway with Windows XP computer has started running
    > slow. I have run my Antivirus and my spyware, but that has not corrected the
    > problem. I have also cleaned out unused programs and degragged the hard
    > drive. I don't really know what else to do. Am I missing something? This
    > laptop is only 2 years old and has been running fine until this week. Help!!!

    Hi

    Please try the following link:

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Angie1102" <Angie1102@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In the last few days, my Gateway with Windows XP computer has started
    > running
    > slow. I have run my Antivirus and my spyware, but that has not corrected
    > the
    > problem. I have also cleaned out unused programs and degragged the hard
    > drive. I don't really know what else to do. Am I missing something?
    > This
    > laptop is only 2 years old and has been running fine until this week.
    > Help!!!

    have you hooked up anything new lately like an added scanner or added ps2 or
    anything or upgraded your video card ? Turns out my power supply was making
    alot of noise and then finally started smelling like burned out or maybe dust
    whatever but anyways I was told it was because my video upgrade to 256mb
    graphics card and was told for every 64mb of video I should have 256 of ram
    for my com to run correctly. So now I have 1024 of ram and whammo the com
    runs quickly. I"m content now. I click on something and up it comes quick.
    The only draw back is it takes a bit longer to boot. I'll take that trade
    anyday. Oh and I'm using a dell 8300 Windows XP . Well good luck I hope I
    helped out somewhat. cu
    --
    attilathehun1

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following link:
    >
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Angie1102" <Angie1102@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In the last few days, my Gateway with Windows XP computer has started
    > > running
    > > slow. I have run my Antivirus and my spyware, but that has not corrected
    > > the
    > > problem. I have also cleaned out unused programs and degragged the hard
    > > drive. I don't really know what else to do. Am I missing something?
    > > This
    > > laptop is only 2 years old and has been running fine until this week.
    > > Help!!!

Computers Windows XP