Cannot delete folder

I have been deleting some old music files and during this process I have
encountered big trouble deleting the folders that contain these files. I can
delete the contents of the folder, but can't delete the folder itself. The
error I receive is: Cannot delete "xxxyyyxxx" : It is being used by another
person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try
again.

I have attempted to delete runnign in safe mode, but no luck there.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Brian
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot delete folder

    Hi / Bonjour *nordenlight* :

    > I have been deleting some old music files and during this process I have
    > encountered big trouble deleting the folders that contain these files. I can
    > delete the contents of the folder, but can't delete the folder itself. The
    > error I receive is: Cannot delete "xxxyyyxxx" : It is being used by another
    > person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try
    > again.
    >
    > I have attempted to delete runnign in safe mode, but no luck there.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Brian

    1- Check to be sure there is no programs accessing this folder such as an anti-virus

    2- Check the access rights with the security tab and give the full access to your account(an adm. account...)

    3- Do not display the details with windows explorer and put the focus on the left side of the screen

    4- Sometimes an file or folder name with special characters fool the system :
    Check that way :
    Start | Run | cmd /k
    dir /X to list the folders with their short name
    rename the folder name like this:
    ren folder_name new_folder_name
    and try to delete it:
    del new_folder_name

    For an easy access to the command window you can use this
    MS Power Toy:CmdHere
    http://www.microsoft.com/france/windows/xp/pro/telecharge/info/info.asp?mar=/france/windows/xp/home/telecharge/info/powertoys.html&xmlpath=/france/windows/xp/xml/telecharge_pro.xml&rang=12

    :)

    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net
    Soon on www.msmvps.com
    Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com