Aoe which civilization is strongest

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I think AOE2 is relatively well balanced.
Some civilisations are weaker than others, but in general you can't win just by choosing a better civ.

I personally love the Goths. They get cheaper elite infantry (the swordmen) and a lot of bonuses on unit construction speeds, + a slightly higher population limit.
Build 3-4barracks near the enemy base and you can pump out infantry like no other civ.
It's pretty weak otherwise though.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Depends on the map type and how you play.
The Teutons tend (for me) to be the best all round civ as those knights are awfully powerful and they have nice civ bonus.

13thman

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
I like most of them. Byzantines are good for organized, full fledged attacks. Teutons are good a defense. The English, Spanish, and maybe the Goths are good offence. The Vikings, Celts, and Chinese ooze havoc and are highly annoying. And the Franks are good at guerrilla war. But all this is in MY experience, and it might vary from person to person.
And it also depends on the time limit you want, the map, your allies, and who you are going up against. If you are Goth, and are spitting out swordsmen at an army of Cataphracts with 4 or 5 monk, guess who is going to win.
the Cataphracts