Problem with add/remove programs

I was going through the add/remove program wizard to remove all the AOL
applications on my computer, which worked, it uninstalled all AOL
applications without complication.

But later on I messed up on some internet configurations I had made so I
used system restore and restored it to a time before I had uninstalled AOL.
Now I see AOL applications again , so when I go to add/remove programs to
uninstall it again (AOL has its own uninstaller); AOL says it cannot find and
versions of AOL on my computer even though I see it right in front of my
face. Why is it doing this? How can I remove AOL applications for good
without messing something up?
4 answers Last reply
More about problem remove programs

    bjxp23 wrote:
    > I was going through the add/remove program wizard to remove all the
    > AOL applications on my computer, which worked, it uninstalled all AOL
    > applications without complication.
    >
    > But later on I messed up on some internet configurations I had made
    > so I used system restore and restored it to a time before I had
    > uninstalled AOL. Now I see AOL applications again , so when I go to
    > add/remove programs to uninstall it again (AOL has its own
    > uninstaller); AOL says it cannot find and versions of AOL on my
    > computer even though I see it right in front of my face. Why is it
    > doing this? How can I remove AOL applications for good without
    > messing something up?

    They are removed,when you used system restore the files names were returned
    to the add/remove program but AOHell was not reinstalled.
    This is an invalid entry,when you tried to remove them again did you get a
    popup asking you if you wanted to remove this entry from add/remove? If so
    go ahead and click on yes,if you didn't,then remove the AOHell entry from
    the registry,the link below will show you how to do this.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    "MAP" wrote:

    > bjxp23 wrote:
    > > I was going through the add/remove program wizard to remove all the
    > > AOL applications on my computer, which worked, it uninstalled all AOL
    > > applications without complication.
    > >
    > > But later on I messed up on some internet configurations I had made
    > > so I used system restore and restored it to a time before I had
    > > uninstalled AOL. Now I see AOL applications again , so when I go to
    > > add/remove programs to uninstall it again (AOL has its own
    > > uninstaller); AOL says it cannot find and versions of AOL on my
    > > computer even though I see it right in front of my face. Why is it
    > > doing this? How can I remove AOL applications for good without
    > > messing something up?
    >
    > They are removed,when you used system restore the files names were returned
    > to the add/remove program but AOHell was not reinstalled.
    > This is an invalid entry,when you tried to remove them again did you get a
    > popup asking you if you wanted to remove this entry from add/remove? If so
    > go ahead and click on yes,if you didn't,then remove the AOHell entry from
    > the registry,the link below will show you how to do this.
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm
    >
    > --
    > Mike Pawlak

    MAP, so now I have erased AOL from registry but I still see folders a files
    plus an icon that is on my desktop ...So is it ok to delete the files and
    folders manually now?

    I've already created a system restore point and backed up all registry just
    incase something goes wrong so I would think it would be ok to delete the
    files and folders manually...right?

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.os.windows2000/browse_thread/thread/e2548d9e8b222043/4114080686ab1885?q=insubject:aol+author:bruce+author:chambers&rnum=22&hl=en#4114080686ab1885

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3E3FD8E3-45F4-42DE-A915-40BA2EC8995F@microsoft.com,
    bjxp23 <bjxp23@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I was going through the add/remove program wizard to remove all the AOL
    > applications on my computer, which worked, it uninstalled all AOL
    > applications without complication.
    >
    > But later on I messed up on some internet configurations I had made so I
    > used system restore and restored it to a time before I had uninstalled
    > AOL. Now I see AOL applications again , so when I go to add/remove
    > programs to uninstall it again (AOL has its own uninstaller); AOL says it
    > cannot find and versions of AOL on my computer even though I see it
    > right in front of my face. Why is it doing this? How can I remove AOL
    > applications for good without messing something up?

    I would delete the icon on the desktop and leave the rest for now,so long
    as everything was working the way it should be.(you can always go back
    later)
    http://www.komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=2730

    Do some reading here
    http://www.google.as/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-36,GGLD:en&q=remove+aol

    To answer your ? about deleting the folders.......I did.

    When I bought my Dell it came with AOHell installed ( but I never used it) I
    uninstalled it and as you found folders for AOL in C:/program files I
    deleted them with no problems.

    As a side note and off topic,once I installed an imaging program my worries
    about things going wrong were gone.

    Norton Ghost
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

    True Image
    http://www.acronis.com/

    bjxp23 wrote:
    > "MAP" wrote:
    >
    >> bjxp23 wrote:
    >>> I was going through the add/remove program wizard to remove all the
    >>> AOL applications on my computer, which worked, it uninstalled all
    >>> AOL applications without complication.
    >>>
    >>> But later on I messed up on some internet configurations I had made
    >>> so I used system restore and restored it to a time before I had
    >>> uninstalled AOL. Now I see AOL applications again , so when I go to
    >>> add/remove programs to uninstall it again (AOL has its own
    >>> uninstaller); AOL says it cannot find and versions of AOL on my
    >>> computer even though I see it right in front of my face. Why is it
    >>> doing this? How can I remove AOL applications for good without
    >>> messing something up?
    >>
    >> They are removed,when you used system restore the files names were
    >> returned to the add/remove program but AOHell was not reinstalled.
    >> This is an invalid entry,when you tried to remove them again did you
    >> get a popup asking you if you wanted to remove this entry from
    >> add/remove? If so go ahead and click on yes,if you didn't,then
    >> remove the AOHell entry from the registry,the link below will show
    >> you how to do this. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Pawlak
    >>

    > MAP, so now I have erased AOL from registry but I still see folders a
    > files plus an icon that is on my desktop ...So is it ok to delete the
    > files and folders manually now?
    >
    > I've already created a system restore point and backed up all
    > registry just incase something goes wrong so I would think it would
    > be ok to delete the files and folders manually...right?

Computers AOL Microsoft System Restore Windows XP