Problem with add/remove programs

June 20, 2005 10:09:02 PM

I was going through the add/remove program wizard to remove all the AOL
applications on my computer, which worked, it uninstalled all AOL
applications without complication.

But later on I messed up on some internet configurations I had made so I
used system restore and restored it to a time before I had uninstalled AOL.
Now I see AOL applications again , so when I go to add/remove programs to
uninstall it again (AOL has its own uninstaller); AOL says it cannot find and
versions of AOL on my computer even though I see it right in front of my
face. Why is it doing this? How can I remove AOL applications for good
without messing something up?
June 21, 2005 1:25:40 AM

bjxp23 wrote:
> I was going through the add/remove program wizard to remove all the
> AOL applications on my computer, which worked, it uninstalled all AOL
> applications without complication.
>
> But later on I messed up on some internet configurations I had made
> so I used system restore and restored it to a time before I had
> uninstalled AOL. Now I see AOL applications again , so when I go to
> add/remove programs to uninstall it again (AOL has its own
> uninstaller); AOL says it cannot find and versions of AOL on my
> computer even though I see it right in front of my face. Why is it
> doing this? How can I remove AOL applications for good without
> messing something up?

They are removed,when you used system restore the files names were returned
to the add/remove program but AOHell was not reinstalled.
This is an invalid entry,when you tried to remove them again did you get a
popup asking you if you wanted to remove this entry from add/remove? If so
go ahead and click on yes,if you didn't,then remove the AOHell entry from
the registry,the link below will show you how to do this.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm

--
Mike Pawlak
Anonymous

"MAP" wrote:

> bjxp23 wrote:
> > I was going through the add/remove program wizard to remove all the
> > AOL applications on my computer, which worked, it uninstalled all AOL
> > applications without complication.
> >
> > But later on I messed up on some internet configurations I had made
> > so I used system restore and restored it to a time before I had
> > uninstalled AOL. Now I see AOL applications again , so when I go to
> > add/remove programs to uninstall it again (AOL has its own
> > uninstaller); AOL says it cannot find and versions of AOL on my
> > computer even though I see it right in front of my face. Why is it
> > doing this? How can I remove AOL applications for good without
> > messing something up?
>
> They are removed,when you used system restore the files names were returned
> to the add/remove program but AOHell was not reinstalled.
> This is an invalid entry,when you tried to remove them again did you get a
> popup asking you if you wanted to remove this entry from add/remove? If so
> go ahead and click on yes,if you didn't,then remove the AOHell entry from
> the registry,the link below will show you how to do this.
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak

MAP, so now I have erased AOL from registry but I still see folders a files
plus an icon that is on my desktop ...So is it ok to delete the files and
folders manually now?

I've already created a system restore point and backed up all registry just
incase something goes wrong so I would think it would be ok to delete the
files and folders manually...right?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:36:57 PM

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.os.windows2000/...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3E3FD8E3-45F4-42DE-A915-40BA2EC8995F@microsoft.com,
bjxp23 <bjxp23@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I was going through the add/remove program wizard to remove all the AOL
> applications on my computer, which worked, it uninstalled all AOL
> applications without complication.
>
> But later on I messed up on some internet configurations I had made so I
> used system restore and restored it to a time before I had uninstalled
> AOL. Now I see AOL applications again , so when I go to add/remove
> programs to uninstall it again (AOL has its own uninstaller); AOL says it
> cannot find and versions of AOL on my computer even though I see it
> right in front of my face. Why is it doing this? How can I remove AOL
> applications for good without messing something up?
June 21, 2005 10:39:46 PM

I would delete the icon on the desktop and leave the rest for now,so long
as everything was working the way it should be.(you can always go back
later)
http://www.komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=2730

Do some reading here
http://www.google.as/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8...

To answer your ? about deleting the folders.......I did.

When I bought my Dell it came with AOHell installed ( but I never used it) I
uninstalled it and as you found folders for AOL in C:/program files I
deleted them with no problems.

As a side note and off topic,once I installed an imaging program my worries
about things going wrong were gone.

Norton Ghost
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

True Image