Slow XP Start Up – My Computer is too busy to boot quickly!

I have got XP SP2 on my Computer plus Norton Anti Virus 2005. It takes
5-6 to complete its boot on Start Up. During most of this time it makes
a noise like it is reading files (sorry not to be more technical) and I
don’t really know what is going on or what to do about it. I don’t
think that it’s a Spyware problem as I have run both Ad-Aware and
Spybot.

Any ideas?

--
Rob C
4 answers Last reply

    One thing that can greatly affect startup time is the number of programs you
    have set to load at startup. When you first startup, before you close
    anything, check the Task Manager (right click on your taskbar at the bottom
    of the screen). Having 30 or 40 processes is quite a bit, plus is they take
    up more than just a few megabytes of memory, then they might take longer to
    load than others. Just thought I would throw this out so you are aware.

    "Timmay" <Timmay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > One thing that can greatly affect startup time is the number of programs
    > you
    > have set to load at startup. When you first startup, before you close
    > anything, check the Task Manager (right click on your taskbar at the
    > bottom
    > of the screen). Having 30 or 40 processes is quite a bit, plus is they
    > take
    > up more than just a few megabytes of memory, then they might take longer
    > load than others. Just thought I would throw this out so you are aware.

    Would that it were possible these days to get processes down to 30 -40!
    Currently, I have something in the high 60's - unfortunately, these days it
    does not make sense to run a machine connected to the Internet over
    Broadband without a healthy number of protection processes running -
    anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware, etc. Granted, I do have a fairly
    high-spec machine - P4 3.4, 2GB ram, etc., but I would seriously question
    whether anyone can achieve a running machine with as few as 30 - 40
    processes showing in Task Manager! Having said that, I normally achieve
    desktop in around 40 -50 seconds, and everything loaded within 2 - 3
    minutes - O.K., I haven't checked that precisely, but that's about what it
    feels like.

    Steve.

    Hey Everyone

    Ok, Hence the name, i delete alot of things. But this time ive added
    something. I noticed that even with Norton some people still have
    Ad-aware SE and Spybot S&D. are they neccessary? because my friend told
    me that norton scans for EVERYTHING including virus's trojans,
    keyloggers etc is this true?

    Ok my second problem is that i have installed Norton Internet Security
    2005 on my laptop. and removed Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D. Thinking
    that i would only need the one program. This may be the case. but my
    laptop is going very slow! and keeps on freezing! now i thought this
    would improve my pc but before i had norton my computer went really
    fast. but now im getting errors all over the show with life Office, on
    word. i had to reinstall that, what has norton got to do with word?

    and my final problem is, Pinball WAVE.INF is Missing - it must be in
    the pinball directory. HELP ANYONE?

    Any help will be REALLY apreciated!

    Sir.DeleteAlot

    --
    SirDeleteAlotPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    Greetings,

    I suggest you install SpyBot and Adware. They are two of the best
    spyware/malware/adware removers on the net and most of all they're both
    free! Try scanning your computer with both of the above software. You might
    be able to speed up the performance of your computer. I also recommend you
    to a make a backup of your registry before hand (see details below). Lastly,
    do regular spyware and virus/trojan scans (weekly).

    Backup Register:

    1. Start > RUN
    2. Type in regedit
    3. Once the Registry Editor is opened, go to File > Export
    4. Choose a destination to export your whole registry

    If you want to import your registry back, just follow the above steps,
    however, this time instead of exporting, import the registry from the
    destination your saved it.

    --
    Best of Luck,
    Jose Francisco

    rights

    "SirDeleteAlot" <SirDeleteAlot.1rllza@> wrote in message

    > Hey Everyone
    >
    > Ok, Hence the name, i delete alot of things. But this time ive added
    > something. I noticed that even with Norton some people still have
    > Ad-aware SE and Spybot S&D. are they neccessary? because my friend told
    > me that norton scans for EVERYTHING including virus's trojans,
    > keyloggers etc is this true?
    >
    > Ok my second problem is that i have installed Norton Internet Security
    > 2005 on my laptop. and removed Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D. Thinking
    > that i would only need the one program. This may be the case. but my
    > laptop is going very slow! and keeps on freezing! now i thought this
    > would improve my pc but before i had norton my computer went really
    > fast. but now im getting errors all over the show with life Office, on
    > word. i had to reinstall that, what has norton got to do with word?
    >
    > and my final problem is, Pinball WAVE.INF is Missing - it must be in
    > the pinball directory. HELP ANYONE?
    >
    > Any help will be REALLY apreciated!
    >

    > Sir.DeleteAlot
    >

    > --