Slow XP Start Up – My Computer is too busy to boot quickly!

June 21, 2005 3:48:15 PM

I have got XP SP2 on my Computer plus Norton Anti Virus 2005. It takes
5-6 to complete its boot on Start Up. During most of this time it makes
a noise like it is reading files (sorry not to be more technical) and I
don’t really know what is going on or what to do about it. I don’t
think that it’s a Spyware problem as I have run both Ad-Aware and
Spybot.

Any ideas?

--
Rob C
Anonymous

One thing that can greatly affect startup time is the number of programs you
have set to load at startup. When you first startup, before you close
anything, check the Task Manager (right click on your taskbar at the bottom
of the screen). Having 30 or 40 processes is quite a bit, plus is they take
up more than just a few megabytes of memory, then they might take longer to
load than others. Just thought I would throw this out so you are aware.

"Rob C" wrote:

> I have got XP SP2 on my Computer plus Norton Anti Virus 2005. It takes
> 5-6 to complete its boot on Start Up. During most of this time it makes
> a noise like it is reading files (sorry not to be more technical) and I
> don’t really know what is going on or what to do about it. I don’t
> think that it’s a Spyware problem as I have run both Ad-Aware and
> Spybot.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> Rob C

June 22, 2005 3:45:39 AM

"Timmay" <Timmay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> One thing that can greatly affect startup time is the number of programs
> you
> have set to load at startup. When you first startup, before you close
> anything, check the Task Manager (right click on your taskbar at the
> bottom
> of the screen). Having 30 or 40 processes is quite a bit, plus is they
> take
> up more than just a few megabytes of memory, then they might take longer
> load than others. Just thought I would throw this out so you are aware.

Would that it were possible these days to get processes down to 30 -40!
Currently, I have something in the high 60's - unfortunately, these days it
does not make sense to run a machine connected to the Internet over
Broadband without a healthy number of protection processes running -
anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware, etc. Granted, I do have a fairly
high-spec machine - P4 3.4, 2GB ram, etc., but I would seriously question
whether anyone can achieve a running machine with as few as 30 - 40
processes showing in Task Manager! Having said that, I normally achieve
desktop in around 40 -50 seconds, and everything loaded within 2 - 3
minutes - O.K., I haven't checked that precisely, but that's about what it
feels like.

Steve.
July 3, 2005 7:43:09 PM

Hey Everyone

Ok, Hence the name, i delete alot of things. But this time ive added
something. I noticed that even with Norton some people still have
Ad-aware SE and Spybot S&D. are they neccessary? because my friend told
me that norton scans for EVERYTHING including virus's trojans,
keyloggers etc is this true?

Ok my second problem is that i have installed Norton Internet Security
2005 on my laptop. and removed Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D. Thinking
that i would only need the one program. This may be the case. but my
laptop is going very slow! and keeps on freezing! now i thought this
would improve my pc but before i had norton my computer went really
fast. but now im getting errors all over the show with life Office, on
word. i had to reinstall that, what has norton got to do with word?

and my final problem is, Pinball WAVE.INF is Missing - it must be in
the pinball directory. HELP ANYONE?

Any help will be REALLY apreciated!

Sir.DeleteAlot

--
SirDeleteAlotPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

Greetings,

I suggest you install SpyBot and Adware. They are two of the best
spyware/malware/adware removers on the net and most of all they're both
free! Try scanning your computer with both of the above software. You might
be able to speed up the performance of your computer. I also recommend you
to a make a backup of your registry before hand (see details below). Lastly,
do regular spyware and virus/trojan scans (weekly).

Backup Register:

1. Start > RUN
2. Type in regedit
3. Once the Registry Editor is opened, go to File > Export
4. Choose a destination to export your whole registry

If you want to import your registry back, just follow the above steps,
however, this time instead of exporting, import the registry from the
destination your saved it.

--
Best of Luck,
Jose Francisco