Status
Not open for further replies.

storm slider

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Hello. I'm planning to get a gaming laptop, and I was wondering, what specs would I need for going beyond maxinum settings and still always running at 30 FPS or more? I'm not looking for alienware, there overpriced.

One other small question, do the same graphics cards work on a PC and Laptop?

EDIT: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Toshiba-Qosmio-X775-Q7272-17-3-LED-Notebook-Red-Horizon-PSBY5U-01101F-/270902583551?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3f130d60ff#ht_6782wt_450 - Would this work GTA IV Max settings at 30 FPS?

Solution
The vast majority of laptops do not allow you to upgrade the graphics card. The few that do tend to cost at least $1,500+. Of course don't simply assume that if you buy a laptop in that range you will be able to upgrade.

Desktop and mobile graphic cards are totally different in size, format and performance. Laptop graphic cards are smaller, follows the MXM I/II/III format and are less powerful than their desktop counterparts. For example, the Mobility Radeon HD 5850 will roughly equal to the desktop Radeon HD 5770.

You should be able to play GTA 4 @ 1600 x 900 resolution with the nVdia GT 560M. Watch out for heating though since GTA 4 does really stress the CPU. Whatever laptop you end up buying be sure to research any overheating...
The vast majority of laptops do not allow you to upgrade the graphics card. The few that do tend to cost at least $1,500+. Of course don't simply assume that if you buy a laptop in that range you will be able to upgrade.

Desktop and mobile graphic cards are totally different in size, format and performance. Laptop graphic cards are smaller, follows the MXM I/II/III format and are less powerful than their desktop counterparts. For example, the Mobility Radeon HD 5850 will roughly equal to the desktop Radeon HD 5770.

You should be able to play GTA 4 @ 1600 x 900 resolution with the nVdia GT 560M. Watch out for heating though since GTA 4 does really stress the CPU. Whatever laptop you end up buying be sure to research any overheating issues.

There weren't really any professionally written reviews of the Lenovo Y470 when I bought it. Afterwards a few came out, they noted CPU temps as high as 92C (i5-2410m), but they didn't worry / care about it since games ran stable. Had I known about the issue I would not have bought the Y470. Sure enough, when I tested games like Fallout 3 and Crysis, the CPU temps ranged between 88C - 92C. The nVidia GT 550M ran relatively cool at around 61C - 64C.

Playing GTA 4 on the Y470 caused the CPU to eventually start throttling (causing stuttering). Upon looking at Core Temp (program I use to monitor the CPU temps), the CPU hit 99C.

When playing games on my Y470, I turned off Turbo Boost so that the CPU does not overclock itself. That brought down the max temps to around 85C, but it defeats the purpose of having Turbo Boost and it is still a bit too high for my liking. I prefer the max CPU temps to be around 75C.

Solution
that laptop is reasonable for gaming it will play anything but at reduced quality on newer titles. theres no way it could max gta 4 as you need a minimum of 1.5 gigs of gfx ram which i dont think many if any laptops have. (cant be sure as i dont bother looking at em as gaming platforms... they can play games its just there always gonna cost more but give a lot less gaming performance.

back to that laptop, its actually a neat little system the gfx are adequate and will pass minimum spec for any current game. the cpu is good and is capable of good performance on any app... problem is after 6 months the laptop will have so much dust inside the cpu will be constantly throttling because the cooling has been compromised.

if you want to play games and dont need mobility then a desktop is the best solution. for the same money as that lappy you would get a high end gaming system that will max out every current game and give a minimum of 30 fps.

the difference in performance will be massive your talking x4 gfx power at the very least.
we are talking intel i7 and the latest offering from ati the 7970 which is a gaming monster...
1400bux will buy a lot of performance if you buy the rite kit...

Status
Not open for further replies.