PC completely Freezes during Games

squeege96

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Hello all! I have been trying to solve this on my own to no avail. I rebuilt my home PC a few months ago, but I keep having issues when gaming - it completely freezes and I have to completely restart. Otherwise, the machine runs great - no issues with Web browsing, downloading, or with my Python Server. Here is the breakdown on the components that I am using:

Motherboard - ASUS P8P67 LE, Bios v.1104
Processor - Intel i5-2500 LGA1155
Memory - 8 Gigs (2x4Gigs) G.Skill DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
GPU - Radeon 6770
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
Primary Drive - WDC WD740GD Raptor
Secondary Drives - WDC WD2500KS, WDC WD10EARS
OS - Windows 7 64Bit Enterprise Edition

I have run MemTest multiple times, and nothing came up. I have also run CHKDSK on three separate occasions, and nothing.

Temps on the GPU have stayed reasonable, (max was 50C), and the MB has averaged Temps of 35-40C.

Any suggestions?

squeege96

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

Ok - I ran the WD Diagnostics in HIRENS, and it said that the HD was fine. I also reran MEMTEST, and no errors after 8 passes.

Any other suggestions?

squeege96

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

HEX,

I went into the Bios, but I couldn't find a "hpet" mode. Could it be called something else?

Thanks!

squeege96

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

No blue screen - just a complete freeze. A loud hum comes through my speakers, and I can't get any response from my mouse or Keyboard.

Also, I tried to access C:\Windows\Minidump, but the file doesn't exist.

I am going to go back to my Bios and look for the High Precision Event Timer now.

squeege96

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

HEXiT,

I found the setting for the "High Precision Timer", but my only options were Enable/Disable. I chose Enable. Any other suggestions?

squeege96

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
h3sham,

I have checked and rechecked the heat sink - I even checked the logs to make sure that there weren't any spikes. Ironically, I was able to get a game working almost flawlessly last night - I realized that I never installed a speaker jack into my sound card. I plugged it in and voila - IT WORKED. I was able to get Arkham to work multiple times, with some light lags here and there.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work this morning :cry:

I'm going to take another stab at it tonight.