My Antec TruePower 550 craped out!

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Got this PSU under a year ago and the +12v rail goes as low as 11.25v and my +5 rail goes at 4.65v. Antec is advertising this PSU to do at least +-3% on these rails when I have more than went past that by 2 fold. My machin wont boot or shut down somtime and my gamming gives my artifacts. So much with sticking with brand names.

Looking into a Fortron Source 550 or Enermax Noisetaker 600 now.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fortron Source is a brand now, Sparkle Power is also a brand of Fortron Source. These power supplies have always been better than Antecs, even back in the days when Antec was the only "name brand" most people had heard of.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
I have recognized fortron source for some time now but always a problem with getting my hand on big PSU from them. Was on their site and they got a 550 pfc PSU but having probs locating a reseller that has one...

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Oh yeah Im on the warranty gig since Im in the warranty range, just a snag of working the same hours their tech support is, could do online RMA.

However I will ditch this PSU and get a Fortron Source 550 to replace and either put the RMAed Antec in another low importance rig, keep it on the side, or just sell it.

G

Remember that Forton underrates their psu's :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
GOOD MORE POWER!!!!

Anywho Im familiar with their products, most PSU companies under-rate but fortron under-rates little more than others.

G

You know, I recently purchased their Blue Storm 500w psu, and it was Crashman that pointed me in thier direction in the first place :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>

RichPLS

Champion
I'm still running an old Antec True-430 :(

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
and it is powering a Prescott 3200, X800XT PE, 2-gigs RAM, 3 hard drives and a DVD burner.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
I was actually eye-balling that BlueStorm 500w, any good? How are your 5v and 12v doing?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Feel fortunate. Just hate getting defective PSU, especially on my high-end rigs since I do not spare high watt psu and always have to buy before I do warranty work.

My PSU would be a killer if it would give the proper 12v and 5v rails.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, a 500W Fortron Source should output about as much power as a 550W True Power. So I've never really "looked" for "large" capacity power supplies from Fortron Source simply because their supplies have a higher-than-advertized capacity.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Figured much. Im looking at the Blue Storm 500w psu and would get it as soon as Newegg has it in stock, unless you know of a good vendor that carries the high-end fortrons.

G

I haven't installed it yet, still waiting for my other components. I'm doing a complete rebuild, so hopefully by the end of the week I should have it all. I purchased mine from cyberguys.com. They're local to me (like 20 mins away) so I ordered it online then drove in an hour later and picked it up. Was retail $98.49 +tax (damn CA sales tax grumble grumble...) :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Newegg used to carry a wider selection of Fortron Source and Sparkle Power supplies, before the bling bling crew got involved. It looks like the 530W unit has been dropped in favor of the 500W Blue Storm, for example.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Im eye balling the bluestorm but Im most likely getting the 550 to be safe.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go ahead, it's your money!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm saying you had better options with capacity before customers started demanding new visual details.

AntecRep

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
1) it's still under warranty.

2) make sure you verify the readings with a multimeter (most people quote the BIOS/MBM5) for any PSU you use. Software is horribly inaccurate.

AntecRep