Need doss commands from A:>promt to fdisk C

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I am trying to do an install of XP on a hard drive that will not recognize
the XP Installation CD. I have an XP start up disk for the A drive that
prompts me A:\> and I don't know the set of commands to get me from there to
format the hard drive and prep it to recognize and load XP. The hard drive
is used, not new. When I start the computer without the floppy, I get a
black screen with a white line across the bottom. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

"Anthony" <tmis4jc@cox.net> wrote in message
>I am trying to do an install of XP on a hard drive that will not recognize
>the XP Installation CD. I have an XP start up disk for the A drive that
>prompts me A:\> and I don't know the set of commands to get me from there
>to format the hard drive and prep it to recognize and load XP. The hard
>drive is used, not new. When I start the computer without the floppy, I
>get a black screen with a white line across the bottom. Any help
>appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

Simply set your computer BIOS to boot from the CD, insert the WindowsXP CD,
reboot and follow the prompts on the screen. You do not need to install
from DOS (nor should you).
The WindowsXP CD is bootable and that is the only way it should be
installed.

Bobby

"Anthony" <tmis4jc@cox.net> wrote...
>I am trying to do an install of XP on a hard drive that will not recognize the
>XP Installation CD. I have an XP start up disk for the A drive that prompts me
>A:\> and I don't know the set of commands to get me from there to format the
>hard drive and prep it to recognize and load XP. The hard drive is used, not
>new. When I start the computer without the floppy, I get a black screen with a
>white line across the bottom. Any help appreciated.

Computer model/vintage?

Can you access the BIOS Setup program?