"Run As" dialog box appear whenever open a program

June 23, 2005 1:56:01 AM

Hi,

I need your assistance on how to solve the following problem:

Few days ago I happened to come across a free anti-spyware program and
install it. However it appear to be too intrusive and slow down my system and
a few hours later I uninstall it.

After that whenever I boot my system, there are numerous "Run As" dialogue
box appear. The contents of the dialogue box are as follows:

Which user account do you want to use to run this program?
**Current user (Networkcomputer/Steven)

** The following user: User Name: Administrator
User Name: Steven
Password:

When I click "OK" the program will then proceed to run and which I have to
click quite a number of "Run As" dialogue box for all the background program
to run. If not it will struck there until I click "OK".

Not only that whenever I run any software program the "Run As" dialogue box
will appear and I have to click "OK" in order for the program to run.

Some of the programs are affected as it cannot run properly.

Any way to solve this? Thank you.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 4:29:08 AM

Try doing a System Restore to a day prior to when you installed the
"freeware". It should restore your registry back to the way it was.

Please do not send email directly to this alias as it is used for newsgroup
participation only.
"steven" <steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need your assistance on how to solve the following problem:
>
> Few days ago I happened to come across a free anti-spyware program and
> install it. However it appear to be too intrusive and slow down my system
> and
> a few hours later I uninstall it.
>
> After that whenever I boot my system, there are numerous "Run As" dialogue
> box appear. The contents of the dialogue box are as follows:
>
> Which user account do you want to use to run this program?
> **Current user (Networkcomputer/Steven)
>
> ** The following user: User Name: Administrator
> User Name: Steven
> Password:
>

> When I click "OK" the program will then proceed to run and which I have to
> click quite a number of "Run As" dialogue box for all the background
> program
> to run. If not it will struck there until I click "OK".
>
> Not only that whenever I run any software program the "Run As" dialogue
> box
> will appear and I have to click "OK" in order for the program to run.
>
> Some of the programs are affected as it cannot run properly.
>
> Any way to solve this? Thank you.

June 23, 2005 4:48:01 AM

I have already done that for a few times and yet the problem persist. In fact
I System Restore to 2 days befoe and the last time I do it I System Restore
to last month.

"Sjonia Harper [MSFT]" wrote:

> Try doing a System Restore to a day prior to when you installed the
> "freeware". It should restore your registry back to the way it was.

> Please do not send email directly to this alias as it is used for newsgroup
> participation only.
> "steven" <steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need your assistance on how to solve the following problem:
> >
> > Few days ago I happened to come across a free anti-spyware program and
> > install it. However it appear to be too intrusive and slow down my system
> > and
> > a few hours later I uninstall it.
> >
> > After that whenever I boot my system, there are numerous "Run As" dialogue
> > box appear. The contents of the dialogue box are as follows:
> >
> > Which user account do you want to use to run this program?
> > **Current user (Networkcomputer/Steven)
> >
> > ** The following user: User Name: Administrator
> > User Name: Steven
> > Password:
> >

> > When I click "OK" the program will then proceed to run and which I have to
> > click quite a number of "Run As" dialogue box for all the background
> > program
> > to run. If not it will struck there until I click "OK".
> >
> > Not only that whenever I run any software program the "Run As" dialogue
> > box
> > will appear and I have to click "OK" in order for the program to run.
> >
> > Some of the programs are affected as it cannot run properly.
> >
> > Any way to solve this? Thank you.

June 23, 2005 8:12:38 AM

Hi / Bonjour *steven* :

> Hi,
>
> I need your assistance on how to solve the following problem:
>
> Few days ago I happened to come across a free anti-spyware program and
> install it. However it appear to be too intrusive and slow down my system and
> a few hours later I uninstall it.
>
> After that whenever I boot my system, there are numerous "Run As" dialogue
> box appear. The contents of the dialogue box are as follows:
>
> Which user account do you want to use to run this program?
> **Current user (Networkcomputer/Steven)
>
> ** The following user: User Name: Administrator
> User Name: Steven
> Password:
>
> When I click "OK" the program will then proceed to run and which I have to
> click quite a number of "Run As" dialogue box for all the background program
> to run. If not it will struck there until I click "OK".
>
> Not only that whenever I run any software program the "Run As" dialogue box
> will appear and I have to click "OK" in order for the program to run.
>
> Some of the programs are affected as it cannot run properly.
>
> Any way to solve this? Thank you.

Right click on hthe program icon
properties
shortcut
advanced button
uncheck the option

:)
--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on / Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com
June 23, 2005 8:12:39 AM

Hi Claude,

The option was already unchecked. Thank you

"Claude LaFrenière" wrote:

> Hi / Bonjour *steven* :
>
> Right click on hthe program icon
> properties
> shortcut
> advanced button
> uncheck the option
>
> :)
> --
> Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)
>
> «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
> Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
> http://climenole.serendipia.net
> Soon on / Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 10:38:25 PM

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell

Make sure there is no default values set.

"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18754E9D-7332-4968-9777-207E0A4BF554@microsoft.com...
>I have already done that for a few times and yet the problem persist. In fact
> I System Restore to 2 days befoe and the last time I do it I System Restore
> to last month.
>
> "Sjonia Harper [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Try doing a System Restore to a day prior to when you installed the
>> "freeware". It should restore your registry back to the way it was.
>>
>> --
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>> Please do not send email directly to this alias as it is used for newsgroup
>> participation only.
>> "steven" <steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I need your assistance on how to solve the following problem:
>> >
>> > Few days ago I happened to come across a free anti-spyware program and
>> > install it. However it appear to be too intrusive and slow down my system
>> > and
>> > a few hours later I uninstall it.
>> >
>> > After that whenever I boot my system, there are numerous "Run As" dialogue
>> > box appear. The contents of the dialogue box are as follows:
>> >
>> > Which user account do you want to use to run this program?
>> > **Current user (Networkcomputer/Steven)
>> >
>> > ** The following user: User Name: Administrator
>> > User Name: Steven
>> > Password:
>> >

>> > When I click "OK" the program will then proceed to run and which I have to
>> > click quite a number of "Run As" dialogue box for all the background
>> > program
>> > to run. If not it will struck there until I click "OK".
>> >
>> > Not only that whenever I run any software program the "Run As" dialogue
>> > box
>> > will appear and I have to click "OK" in order for the program to run.
>> >
>> > Some of the programs are affected as it cannot run properly.
>> >
>> > Any way to solve this? Thank you.

June 23, 2005 10:38:26 PM

Just checked. No default value set.

"David Candy" wrote:

> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell
>
> Make sure there is no default values set.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18754E9D-7332-4968-9777-207E0A4BF554@microsoft.com...
> >I have already done that for a few times and yet the problem persist. In fact
> > I System Restore to 2 days befoe and the last time I do it I System Restore
> > to last month.
> >
> > "Sjonia Harper [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Try doing a System Restore to a day prior to when you installed the
> >> "freeware". It should restore your registry back to the way it was.
> >>
> >> --
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> >> Please do not send email directly to this alias as it is used for newsgroup
> >> participation only.
> >> "steven" <steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 11:43:19 PM

So what keys are under that key? Put open in as a default value (which is what the absence of a default value does as long as Open exists). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe default value does equal exefile?

"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E41082F6-750D-40DB-BA35-550B0A6EE6EA@microsoft.com...
> Just checked. No default value set.
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell
>>
>> Make sure there is no default values set.
>>

>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18754E9D-7332-4968-9777-207E0A4BF554@microsoft.com...
>> >I have already done that for a few times and yet the problem persist. In fact
>> > I System Restore to 2 days befoe and the last time I do it I System Restore
>> > to last month.

June 23, 2005 11:43:20 PM

I have put in "open" as a default and now I have more problem. Another
dialogue box appear:

"Windows cannot open this file
File: regedit.exe

To open this file, windows needs to know what program created it. Window can
go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list
of programs on your computer.

What do you want to do?
Use the web service to find the appropriate application
Select the program from a list"

I have try to change back the registry entry but I am now unable to run the
REGEDIT. What program can I use instead of REGEDIT to amend the entry.

Thank you

"David Candy" wrote:

> So what keys are under that key? Put open in as a default value (which is what the absence of a default value does as long as Open exists). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe default value does equal exefile?

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E41082F6-750D-40DB-BA35-550B0A6EE6EA@microsoft.com...
> > Just checked. No default value set.
> >
> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell
> >>
> >> Make sure there is no default values set.
> >>

> >> --
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> >> =================================================

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:41:08 AM

Type cmd in Start Run then type in that

"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9013E2CE-5D89-4C3E-8CB9-6B54D0ED6154@microsoft.com...
>I have put in "open" as a default and now I have more problem. Another
> dialogue box appear:
>
> "Windows cannot open this file
> File: regedit.exe
>
> To open this file, windows needs to know what program created it. Window can
> go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list
> of programs on your computer.
>
> What do you want to do?
> Use the web service to find the appropriate application
> Select the program from a list"
>
> I have try to change back the registry entry but I am now unable to run the
> REGEDIT. What program can I use instead of REGEDIT to amend the entry.
>
> Thank you
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> So what keys are under that key? Put open in as a default value (which is what the absence of a default value does as long as Open exists). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe default value does equal exefile?
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E41082F6-750D-40DB-BA35-550B0A6EE6EA@microsoft.com...
>> > Just checked. No default value set.

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:45:40 AM

Type cmd in Start Run then type in that

<opps hit send by mistake>

reg add HKCR\exefile\shell /ve

Then answer my questions.
"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9013E2CE-5D89-4C3E-8CB9-6B54D0ED6154@microsoft.com...
>I have put in "open" as a default and now I have more problem. Another
> dialogue box appear:
>
> "Windows cannot open this file
> File: regedit.exe
>
> To open this file, windows needs to know what program created it. Window can
> go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list
> of programs on your computer.
>
> What do you want to do?
> Use the web service to find the appropriate application
> Select the program from a list"
>
> I have try to change back the registry entry but I am now unable to run the
> REGEDIT. What program can I use instead of REGEDIT to amend the entry.
>
> Thank you
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> So what keys are under that key? Put open in as a default value (which is what the absence of a default value does as long as Open exists). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe default value does equal exefile?
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E41082F6-750D-40DB-BA35-550B0A6EE6EA@microsoft.com...
>> > Just checked. No default value set.

June 24, 2005 3:45:41 AM

Thank you. How should I solve the "Run As" problem?

"David Candy" wrote:

> Type cmd in Start Run then type in that
>
> <opps hit send by mistake>
>
> reg add HKCR\exefile\shell /ve
>
> Then answer my questions.
> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9013E2CE-5D89-4C3E-8CB9-6B54D0ED6154@microsoft.com...
> >I have put in "open" as a default and now I have more problem. Another
> > dialogue box appear:
> >
> > "Windows cannot open this file
> > File: regedit.exe
> >
> > To open this file, windows needs to know what program created it. Window can
> > go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list
> > of programs on your computer.
> >
> > What do you want to do?
> > Use the web service to find the appropriate application
> > Select the program from a list"
> >
> > I have try to change back the registry entry but I am now unable to run the
> > REGEDIT. What program can I use instead of REGEDIT to amend the entry.
> >
> > Thank you
> >

> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> So what keys are under that key? Put open in as a default value (which is what the absence of a default value does as long as Open exists). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe default value does equal exefile?
> >>
> >> --
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> >> =================================================

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:48:18 AM

PS You can start any program in cmd even if you can't in the GUI shell. EG Type regedit here to start that. CMD doesn't use the registry to determine what to do, it has it's own different rules.

"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9013E2CE-5D89-4C3E-8CB9-6B54D0ED6154@microsoft.com...
>I have put in "open" as a default and now I have more problem. Another
> dialogue box appear:
>
> "Windows cannot open this file
> File: regedit.exe
>
> To open this file, windows needs to know what program created it. Window can
> go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list
> of programs on your computer.
>
> What do you want to do?
> Use the web service to find the appropriate application
> Select the program from a list"
>
> I have try to change back the registry entry but I am now unable to run the
> REGEDIT. What program can I use instead of REGEDIT to amend the entry.
>
> Thank you
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> So what keys are under that key? Put open in as a default value (which is what the absence of a default value does as long as Open exists). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe default value does equal exefile?
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E41082F6-750D-40DB-BA35-550B0A6EE6EA@microsoft.com...
>> > Just checked. No default value set.

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:58:39 AM

By answering the questions I asked.

"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50D919AA-6426-4653-A8EB-ACE68CCC8879@microsoft.com...
> Thank you. How should I solve the "Run As" problem?
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Type cmd in Start Run then type in that
>>
>> <opps hit send by mistake>
>>
>> reg add HKCR\exefile\shell /ve
>>
>> Then answer my questions.
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9013E2CE-5D89-4C3E-8CB9-6B54D0ED6154@microsoft.com...
>> >I have put in "open" as a default and now I have more problem. Another
>> > dialogue box appear:
>> >
>> > "Windows cannot open this file
>> > File: regedit.exe
>> >
>> > To open this file, windows needs to know what program created it. Window can
>> > go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list
>> > of programs on your computer.
>> >
>> > What do you want to do?
>> > Use the web service to find the appropriate application
>> > Select the program from a list"
>> >
>> > I have try to change back the registry entry but I am now unable to run the
>> > REGEDIT. What program can I use instead of REGEDIT to amend the entry.
>> >
>> > Thank you

June 24, 2005 11:58:40 AM

Sorry. What is your question? I don't seem to find it

"David Candy" wrote:

> By answering the questions I asked.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50D919AA-6426-4653-A8EB-ACE68CCC8879@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you. How should I solve the "Run As" problem?
> >
> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> Type cmd in Start Run then type in that
> >>
> >> <opps hit send by mistake>
> >>
> >> reg add HKCR\exefile\shell /ve
> >>
> >> Then answer my questions.
> >> --
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> >> =================================================

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:52:46 PM

"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8934C925-77BD-41AA-BC1D-C358AF4E5994@microsoft.com...
> Sorry. What is your question? I don't seem to find it
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> By answering the questions I asked.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50D919AA-6426-4653-A8EB-ACE68CCC8879@microsoft.com...
>> > Thank you. How should I solve the "Run As" problem?

June 24, 2005 3:52:47 PM

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exefile
--> DefaultIcon
--> shell
--> shell/ve
--> shellex

The above keys all have default value

"David Candy" wrote:

> > So what keys are under that key? Put open in as a default value (which is what the absence of a default value does as long as Open exists). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe default value does equal exefile?

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8934C925-77BD-41AA-BC1D-C358AF4E5994@microsoft.com...
> > Sorry. What is your question? I don't seem to find it
> >
> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> By answering the questions I asked.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> >> =================================================

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:12:33 PM

Also what does the right click menu say for an EXE file and the shortcut.

Several years ago I saw an occasional thing where if one choose to use RunAs it stuck on that file for unknown reasons..

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:%23rNpz9FeFHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> So what keys are under that key? Put open in as a default value (which is what the absence of a default value does as long as Open exists). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe default value does equal exefile?

"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8934C925-77BD-41AA-BC1D-C358AF4E5994@microsoft.com...
> Sorry. What is your question? I don't seem to find it
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> By answering the questions I asked.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50D919AA-6426-4653-A8EB-ACE68CCC8879@microsoft.com...
>> > Thank you. How should I solve the "Run As" problem?

June 24, 2005 4:12:34 PM

When I right-click on exefile, here are the contents

Name Type Data
(Default) REG_SZ Application
EditFlags REG_BINARY 38 07 00 00
InfoTip REG_SZ
prop:FileDescription;Company;File...........
TileInfo REG-SZ

"David Candy" wrote:

> Also what does the right click menu say for an EXE file and the shortcut.
>
> Several years ago I saw an occasional thing where if one choose to use RunAs it stuck on that file for unknown reasons..

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:%23rNpz9FeFHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > So what keys are under that key? Put open in as a default value (which is what the absence of a default value does as long as Open exists). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe default value does equal exefile?

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8934C925-77BD-41AA-BC1D-C358AF4E5994@microsoft.com...
> > Sorry. What is your question? I don't seem to find it
> >
> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> By answering the questions I asked.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> >> =================================================

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:40:50 PM

Did that command
reg add HKCR\exefile\shell /ve
restore the original problem? Or did you run it twice. I get really sick of people who won't talk. I'm not there. I don't know what happened if you don't tell me. Try being verbose.

Because I can tell from your last post that it didn't work because you typed it wrong. Did you type it a second time right?

You put Open in and said you now couldn't open files. I sent you something to type to remove the open and restore it to how it was before you put open in. You left out the space before /ve.

All keys have a default value. I wanted to know what it was set to, if anything.

So can you open regedit or not. If not retype that command (copy it and paste it so the spaces are right). If you can start Regedit delete the shell/ve subkey as by leaving out the space it added a new key rather than removing the open you entered. Not that the presence of it will hurt anything.

Perhaps you typed regedit in cmd and fixed it manually. I don't know what you did.
"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C0AF0AD-38DE-4DDA-8A3D-4CF104B208BB@microsoft.com...
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exefile
> --> DefaultIcon
> --> shell
> --> shell/ve
> --> shellex
>
> The above keys all have default value
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> > So what keys are under that key? Put open in as a default value (which is what the absence of a default value does as long as Open exists). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe default value does equal exefile?
>>

>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8934C925-77BD-41AA-BC1D-C358AF4E5994@microsoft.com...
>> > Sorry. What is your question? I don't seem to find it

June 24, 2005 4:40:51 PM

Thank you David. I am so sorry for not giving you more details in my previous
message. It does solve my regedit problem.

However the "Run As" problem still persist despite following all your
instructions. Maybe I missed somewhere.

Someone from another discussion forum point me to
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1082331214 where there is a
discussion on this similar problem. As instructed I download the exe file fix
from
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm and it solve my problem
immediately and all my programs are now running smoothly.

Thank you so much for your sharing.

"David Candy" wrote:

> Did that command
> reg add HKCR\exefile\shell /ve
> restore the original problem? Or did you run it twice. I get really sick of people who won't talk. I'm not there. I don't know what happened if you don't tell me. Try being verbose.
>
> Because I can tell from your last post that it didn't work because you typed it wrong. Did you type it a second time right?
>
> You put Open in and said you now couldn't open files. I sent you something to type to remove the open and restore it to how it was before you put open in. You left out the space before /ve.
>
> All keys have a default value. I wanted to know what it was set to, if anything.
>
> So can you open regedit or not. If not retype that command (copy it and paste it so the spaces are right). If you can start Regedit delete the shell/ve subkey as by leaving out the space it added a new key rather than removing the open you entered. Not that the presence of it will hurt anything.
>
> Perhaps you typed regedit in cmd and fixed it manually. I don't know what you did.
> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C0AF0AD-38DE-4DDA-8A3D-4CF104B208BB@microsoft.com...
> > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exefile
> > --> DefaultIcon
> > --> shell
> > --> shell/ve
> > --> shellex
> >
> > The above keys all have default value

> >> --
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> >> =================================================

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 7:32:33 PM

This is a problem that takes 15 seconds to solve. But you are making it hard. I'm about to lose interest.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:eHuvqYGeFHA.132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Did that command
reg add HKCR\exefile\shell /ve
restore the original problem? Or did you run it twice. I get really sick of people who won't talk. I'm not there. I don't know what happened if you don't tell me. Try being verbose.

Because I can tell from your last post that it didn't work because you typed it wrong. Did you type it a second time right?

You put Open in and said you now couldn't open files. I sent you something to type to remove the open and restore it to how it was before you put open in. You left out the space before /ve.

All keys have a default value. I wanted to know what it was set to, if anything.

So can you open regedit or not. If not retype that command (copy it and paste it so the spaces are right). If you can start Regedit delete the shell/ve subkey as by leaving out the space it added a new key rather than removing the open you entered. Not that the presence of it will hurt anything.

Perhaps you typed regedit in cmd and fixed it manually. I don't know what you did.
"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C0AF0AD-38DE-4DDA-8A3D-4CF104B208BB@microsoft.com...
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exefile
> --> DefaultIcon
> --> shell
> --> shell/ve
> --> shellex
>
> The above keys all have default value
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> > So what keys are under that key? Put open in as a default value (which is what the absence of a default value does as long as Open exists). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe default value does equal exefile?
>>

>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8934C925-77BD-41AA-BC1D-C358AF4E5994@microsoft.com...
>> > Sorry. What is your question? I don't seem to find it

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 7:36:52 PM

Actually I am sick of your time wasting. You arew a stupid idiot. Take your computer back tou evil prick.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:egR4p4HeFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
This is a problem that takes 15 seconds to solve. But you are making it hard. I'm about to lose interest.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:eHuvqYGeFHA.132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Did that command
reg add HKCR\exefile\shell /ve
restore the original problem? Or did you run it twice. I get really sick of people who won't talk. I'm not there. I don't know what happened if you don't tell me. Try being verbose.

Because I can tell from your last post that it didn't work because you typed it wrong. Did you type it a second time right?

You put Open in and said you now couldn't open files. I sent you something to type to remove the open and restore it to how it was before you put open in. You left out the space before /ve.

All keys have a default value. I wanted to know what it was set to, if anything.

So can you open regedit or not. If not retype that command (copy it and paste it so the spaces are right). If you can start Regedit delete the shell/ve subkey as by leaving out the space it added a new key rather than removing the open you entered. Not that the presence of it will hurt anything.

Perhaps you typed regedit in cmd and fixed it manually. I don't know what you did.
"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C0AF0AD-38DE-4DDA-8A3D-4CF104B208BB@microsoft.com...
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exefile
> --> DefaultIcon
> --> shell
> --> shell/ve
> --> shellex
>
> The above keys all have default value
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> > So what keys are under that key? Put open in as a default value (which is what the absence of a default value does as long as Open exists). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe default value does equal exefile?
>>

>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8934C925-77BD-41AA-BC1D-C358AF4E5994@microsoft.com...
>> > Sorry. What is your question? I don't seem to find it

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 4:32:07 PM

I believe in diagnosing before fixing.

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&n...*&safe=off

Is where I fixed this problem before.

My goal is to understand HOW it happened to craft the appropiate fix rather than guessing.

"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46FE6762-DD91-46D4-8E56-EEB7D9C0FA1E@microsoft.com...
> Thank you David. I am so sorry for not giving you more details in my previous
> message. It does solve my regedit problem.
>
> However the "Run As" problem still persist despite following all your
> instructions. Maybe I missed somewhere.
>
> Someone from another discussion forum point me to
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1082331214 where there is a
> discussion on this similar problem. As instructed I download the exe file fix
> from
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm and it solve my problem
> immediately and all my programs are now running smoothly.
>
> Thank you so much for your sharing.
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Did that command
>> reg add HKCR\exefile\shell /ve
>> restore the original problem? Or did you run it twice. I get really sick of people who won't talk. I'm not there. I don't know what happened if you don't tell me. Try being verbose.
>>
>> Because I can tell from your last post that it didn't work because you typed it wrong. Did you type it a second time right?
>>
>> You put Open in and said you now couldn't open files. I sent you something to type to remove the open and restore it to how it was before you put open in. You left out the space before /ve.
>>
>> All keys have a default value. I wanted to know what it was set to, if anything.
>>
>> So can you open regedit or not. If not retype that command (copy it and paste it so the spaces are right). If you can start Regedit delete the shell/ve subkey as by leaving out the space it added a new key rather than removing the open you entered. Not that the presence of it will hurt anything.
>>
>> Perhaps you typed regedit in cmd and fixed it manually. I don't know what you did.
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C0AF0AD-38DE-4DDA-8A3D-4CF104B208BB@microsoft.com...
>> > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exefile
>> > --> DefaultIcon
>> > --> shell
>> > --> shell/ve
>> > --> shellex
>> >
>> > The above keys all have default value

June 25, 2005 4:32:08 PM

I understand. Thank you so much for taking the time to help resolve the
problem.

!