Can't fix SP2 files with SP1 CD

Carl

When trying to install a new Norton anti-virus (it failed to install) I was
informed that some system files had been replaced by unrecognizable versions
and I needed to go to the XP CD to re-install the correct versions. When
trying that I was told my SP1 system CD could not be used since the installed
system version was newer than the CD. I assume this is because of the update
to SP1. Also, all attempts at automatic security updates from Microsoft fail
with code 80242FFF.

My system is working okay right now but I figure I have a problem. I badly
need to install Norton anti-virus and can't. How can I replace/install the
correct files?

Carl
--

Good on you and thanks to all!

Hi / Bonjour *Carl* :

> When trying to install a new Norton anti-virus (it failed to install) I was
> informed that some system files had been replaced by unrecognizable versions
> and I needed to go to the XP CD to re-install the correct versions. When
> trying that I was told my SP1 system CD could not be used since the installed
> system version was newer than the CD. I assume this is because of the update
> to SP1. Also, all attempts at automatic security updates from Microsoft fail
> with code 80242FFF.

> My system is working okay right now but I figure I have a problem.

No it's not.

> I badly
> need to install Norton anti-virus and can't. How can I replace/install the
> correct files?
>
> Carl

!? Obviously...

When you "fix" W xp with the SP1 CD you reinstall old versions of the
system files such as dll, ocx, an other stuff...

You must reinstall the sp2 to correct this problem from the sp2 CD.

For the future the best is to create a new W xp CD with the "Slipstream"
procedure :(A W xp CD including the SP2...)
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

About Norton ... if you try to *reinstall* NAV you must first to uninstall
that symantec stuff (no more comment on this...).

NAV can't be completley uninstalled with Add and Suppress
since the unistaller program of NAV can't do his job...

There is an uninstaller program on the Symantec site.

1- update your W xp first
2- try to reinstall NAV if fail uninstall it with the symantec tool.

Let us know.

:)
--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on / Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

map

Carl wrote:
> When trying to install a new Norton anti-virus (it failed to install)
> I was informed that some system files had been replaced by
> unrecognizable versions and I needed to go to the XP CD to re-install
> the correct versions. When trying that I was told my SP1 system CD
> could not be used since the installed system version was newer than
> the CD. I assume this is because of the update to SP1. Also, all
> attempts at automatic security updates from Microsoft fail with code
> 80242FFF.
>
> My system is working okay right now but I figure I have a problem. I
> badly need to install Norton anti-virus and can't. How can I
> replace/install the correct files?
>
> Carl

Change the source path for the system file checker and run it,Step#2 at this
link.
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Error 80242FFF.
http://sniptools.com/vault/getting-errors-with-windowsupdate.htm

--
Mike Pawlak

Carl

Great, simple discussion. Thanks for helping me learn.

Carl
--

Good on you and thanks to all!