foofighters

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2004
Hi peeps,

I need to get a new psu as my current one cannot handle the new vid card I put in it. I know nothing about types or brands of psu's so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My system is as follows:
P4 2.8GHz, Elitegroup L4VXA2 - VIA Tech P4X400-8235 Mainboard, 512mb PC2700 Ram (Apacer), XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb, 120Gb HDD, Liteon LTR-52327S CD Burner, Pioneer DVR-108 DVD Burner, FDD, and a crappy Omni(???) 350W PSU.

My card recommends at least a 450W PSU, but I want to make sure I get a good quality one that will do the job with ease.

Can people please suggest good quality PSU's that aren't heaps of money. Also, what is the difference between PSU's for ATX and for BTX? Which do I have to use on my mainboard, or can I use either?

Thanks in advance

red_onion

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
I'm not going to recommend a PSU, as you'll see in my own message a bit further down that I'm having trouble along those lines myself, but I CAN tell you that nVIDIA has retracted their 450W PSU requirement for the GeForce 6600GT 128 Mb AGP (not sure about PCI Express). Their new requirement for that card is 300W. I learned this when pursuing directly with nVIDIA after receiving my own 6600GT from an online supplier and being surprised by that huge requirement stated on the box.

foofighters

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2004
Thanks for the reply, but maybe my problem is to do with quality of psu rather than rating. My system is restarting when put under pressure due to voltage drop. Hence, I need a new psu.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
From the looks of things you know nothing about motherboards either, because that one is horrible. And the RAM is PC2700, is your P4 a 533 bus or 800 bus version?

I'd sell that system to a sucker who knows even less than you about computers and build something with decent parts.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

foofighters

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2004
Well I must say, that is a helpful post. Are you always this helpful with everyone else?

In my defence, my system is over 2 years old now. PC2700 was the best ram avaiable when I bought it (bang for your buck) and the mainboard has never let me down.

Crashman, do yourself a favour and refrain from posting in this thread again because I will just ignore it.

Everyone else, I am still open to suggestions for a new psu. Your help will be appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm doing you a favor and suggesting a Fortron Source 400W, or Sparkle Power 400W, as your best priced solutions for a high end power supply. But you can go ahead and ignore any advice, as it appears you already have after looking at your system specs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Chill, that is excellent advice being given. Fortron 400 watt will run your system fine and is the best bang for the dollar.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
I would prefer an Antec True480 watt over that particular TT.
Best bet would be the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0" target="_new"> Fortron 530 watt </A> if you just want more power.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

G

<A HREF="http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-FS400TN" target="_new"> FSP Blue Storm 400w psu </A> Seriously, for 68 bucks it's a great price.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

foofighters

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2004
I have found this psu available, let me know what you think.

<A HREF="http://www.doicoaustralia.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=19_111&products_id=693&osCsid=5d831e231e1d7b2501ab9f4a73da6ba5" target="_new"> FSP 500W Power Supply </A>

dougjensen

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
Be aware that almost all (all but one? PSU vendors spec their capacity at the unrealistic temperature of 25C instead of more realistic temperatures at which their capacity drops drastically. A $30 infrared thermometer will help you discover some of the internal temperatures in your system. Too bad most of the PSU reviewers try to hide this fact.

--
Doug

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Ah, the Force is strong in this one. And that one vendor would be PC Power & Cooling.

"The world ends when you're dead. As long as your breathing you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man and give some back."