Long pause accessing system information libraries

June 23, 2005 2:40:01 AM

Greetings,
I have a P4-3.0C, Asus P4P800E-Deluxe, 1 gig system, Win XP Pro SP2 (+all
updates) that has one annoying problem- it has a long, long pause in any
application that queries system information. I'm looking for tools or
methods to remove this problem!

Example- when launching SiSoft Sandra, my PC hangs at the splash screen for
2-3 minutes before launching the application. 3dmark03 is the same way. On
all other systems, these splash screens come and go quickly.

I'm wondering if there are any 3rd party tools that do similar to test as
well as any hints for logging or tracing why so many programs hang/pause for
several minutes when querying system/hardware info. I do have access to both
VC++ and CBuilder 5.0, so if anyone has any generic API tests in code that
might help for isolating this, I can definately do this.

Any help, hints, insights or comments appreciated. This system runs so
nicely that I simply do not want to re-install it again! It was freshly
re-installed about a month or two ago and didn't have this issue prior to
that. I have several other Win XP Pro SP2 systems on the LAN with fresh
installs with near identical hardware that also do not exhibit this problem.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:34:49 AM

Hi / Bonjour *Stevo* :

> Greetings,
> I have a P4-3.0C, Asus P4P800E-Deluxe, 1 gig system, Win XP Pro SP2 (+all
> updates) that has one annoying problem- it has a long, long pause in any
> application that queries system information. I'm looking for tools or
> methods to remove this problem!

May be good preventive maintance which is an important part of
administrative task in W xp (different than day-to-day user tasks...)

> Any help, hints, insights or comments appreciated. This system runs so
> nicely that I simply do not want to re-install it again!

Reinstallation W xp in not an option in 99.9% of the time.
W xp must be well maintened and problems fixed.
If you reinstall you never find the source of the problem
and never learn how to avoid it...

> It was freshly
> re-installed about a month or two ago and didn't have this issue prior to
> that. I have several other Win XP Pro SP2 systems on the LAN with fresh
> installs with near identical hardware that also do not exhibit this problem.

Sorry for the very long answer
( I'm too much lazy to finished my web site :-( )

A good maintenance of W xp is required from time to time.

Here some hints:

1- Use chkdsk to check the integrity of your hard disk:

Windows explorer | right click on disk icon |
properties | tab "tools" | "check errors" | check both options
ok and restart your computer

or

Start | Run | cmd | chkdsk X: /F /V ,
Where X= disk volume

For the results un applications log:
Souce : Winlogon
ID : 1001

2) Clean the temporary files:

Start | Run | cleanmgr.exe

3) Defrag the volumes of the HD :

Start | Run | Defrag.msc

For multiple volume defrag use this:
http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/defrag_all...

4) Check devices and drivers and upgrade them if needed

Start | Run | devmgmt.msc

a)
Devices error codes:
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=310123

b)
To find recent drivers

www.driverfiles.net
or
used Everest to have more informations about your system configuration
and some links to the components manufacturer :
http://www.lavalys.com/

5) Check the services configuration:

The mandatories services must be started and in automatic mode
The others in manual...or disabled....

More info on W xp services:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
If you understand french:
http://climenole.serendipia.net/archives/3-La-Configura...

6) Check the applications started at boot and keep them
to the minimum.

instead of using msconfig used Starter from CodeStuff...
http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/

Check for applications in your account and All users
(from an admin account...)

7) Control what's running on that PC with this tool:

Process Explorer :
(an enhanced Task Manager!)
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtm...

8) Defrag the protected files ( Registry , hiberfil.sys, Pagefile.sys etc.)

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.s...

9) Optimize the prefetching

Run this command :
%windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
usefull only when the computer is idle...
The service Task Scheduler must be running and in automatic mode.
Check this value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
The keyEnablePrefetcher REG_DWORD must be set to 3.

10) Check the warnings and errors in the application and system logs
and fix the problems when needed:

Start | Run | eventvwr.msc

Some hints : http://www.eventid.net/

11)
Check those Windows Explorer parameters

a) To used the multi-thread in Windows explorer:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
Create this key:

DesktopProcess
Reg_DWord
value 1

b) Change the value of the "Windows priority separation" :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl
Create this key

Win32PrioritySeparation
Reg_DWord
Value 26 in HEX

c) Modify those folders options :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Don't hide hidden folder and files
HideFileExt
Reg_Dword
1

Open folders in separate process
SeparateProcess
Reg_Dword
1

12) Avoid "wild" shutdown :

The shutdown procedure is important to keep your systen up and running.
A smooth shutdown protect tour W xp registry against corruption preventing
XP to boot...

Install also the MS UPHClean service in your system :

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
A service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems.

13) Safe & Cool ...

A)
Keep your system free of malwares (virus, worms,spywares, etc.)
*And avoid bugaboo "utilities" such as registry cleaner, optimizer, doctor, and blah blah blah...*
If you understand french:
http://climenole.serendipia.net/archives/5-Quelques-lie...
(english version soon...)

Check your firewall configuration and make sure your PC is "stealth":
www.grc.com
Run the "Shields Up" test .Everythings must be "green" ...

Update frequently your anti-virus and your anti-spywares.
( MS Anti-spyware, SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster and
Spyware Guard... more than one is better since no one are 100% reliable...)

And check if the AV is set to protect your PC "On Access"
(in the so-called "real-time") not only "on demand" ( scan
runned after the problem...)

Used an alternate Internet Browser and keep IE
only for Windows updates and MS specific stuff.
By alternate I mean :
Firefox or Opera (not Maxthon, Avant etc.)

Avoid to surf on the Web from an administrator account.

You have to "feed" your HOSTS file :

What is an Hosts file :
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/dictionary/hostsfile...

The hosts from MVPs:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Frequent updates and documented...

Tools for Hosts :

HostToggle:
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/HostsToggle/
and/or
WinPatrol:( good also for other insteresting stuff...)
http://www.winpatrol.com/download.htm

Some tools and links:

Those tools do not replaced a resident AV, updated, well configured for
"On Access" protection. They do not replaced a set of Anti-spywares and
a well configured Firewall. The most important factor in security is the
user itself. (The "Safe-Hex").

"Mini- antivirus" to be runned in safe mode:

TrendMicro : disable your AV before.

The "sysclean":
+
The virus patterns :

Put them in the same folder and launch the program.

Stinger :
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Avast cleaner :

MS:

Kaspersky:
ftp://ftp.kaspersky.ru/utils/clrav.com

Anti Root-Kits
F-Secure (beta)
http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

Online scan:

Anti-trojan:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

Anti-spy:
http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_onlinescan.html
http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=FindOutW...

Anti-virus:
www.trendmicro.com

B)
Keep your PC free of dust and check the temperatures with those tools:

Everest:
http://www.lavalys.com/

Remark:
Very good software but the warnings about the Bios
and the commercial links to that stuff are useless...

Bios upgrades *if needed* must comes from the PC manufacturer
or the Motherboard manufacturer and nobody else.
(Not needed most of the time : don't worry about this..)

SpeedFan
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Remark:
Good software but the temperatures of the hard disk are not
reported correctly and most of the time not related to the disk
reliability.
Better info from Everest...

13) Some good sites for Windows XP :

The Elder Geek
http://www.theeldergeek.com/index.htm

Aumha
http://aumha.org/win5/

Boot time is not the only parameter to check
but it give a good idea of the system health.
A W xp boot in an average of 30 *seconds* ...
http://cjoint.com/?gxjJ6dYARF

No more idea...

Let us know :)

--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on / Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com
!