Long pause accessing system information libraries

Greetings,
I have a P4-3.0C, Asus P4P800E-Deluxe, 1 gig system, Win XP Pro SP2 (+all
updates) that has one annoying problem- it has a long, long pause in any
application that queries system information. I'm looking for tools or
methods to remove this problem!

Example- when launching SiSoft Sandra, my PC hangs at the splash screen for
2-3 minutes before launching the application. 3dmark03 is the same way. On
all other systems, these splash screens come and go quickly.

I'm wondering if there are any 3rd party tools that do similar to test as
well as any hints for logging or tracing why so many programs hang/pause for
several minutes when querying system/hardware info. I do have access to both
VC++ and CBuilder 5.0, so if anyone has any generic API tests in code that
might help for isolating this, I can definately do this.

Any help, hints, insights or comments appreciated. This system runs so
nicely that I simply do not want to re-install it again! It was freshly
re-installed about a month or two ago and didn't have this issue prior to
that. I have several other Win XP Pro SP2 systems on the LAN with fresh
installs with near identical hardware that also do not exhibit this problem.
1 answer Last reply
More about long pause accessing system information libraries

    Hi / Bonjour *Stevo* :

    > Greetings,
    > I have a P4-3.0C, Asus P4P800E-Deluxe, 1 gig system, Win XP Pro SP2 (+all
    > updates) that has one annoying problem- it has a long, long pause in any
    > application that queries system information. I'm looking for tools or
    > methods to remove this problem!

    May be good preventive maintance which is an important part of
    administrative task in W xp (different than day-to-day user tasks...)

    > Any help, hints, insights or comments appreciated. This system runs so
    > nicely that I simply do not want to re-install it again!

    Reinstallation W xp in not an option in 99.9% of the time.
    W xp must be well maintened and problems fixed.
    If you reinstall you never find the source of the problem
    and never learn how to avoid it...

    > It was freshly
    > re-installed about a month or two ago and didn't have this issue prior to
    > that. I have several other Win XP Pro SP2 systems on the LAN with fresh
    > installs with near identical hardware that also do not exhibit this problem.

    Sorry for the very long answer
    ( I'm too much lazy to finished my web site :-( )

    A good maintenance of W xp is required from time to time.

    Here some hints:

    1- Use chkdsk to check the integrity of your hard disk:

    Windows explorer | right click on disk icon |
    properties | tab "tools" | "check errors" | check both options
    ok and restart your computer

    or

    Start | Run | cmd | chkdsk X: /F /V ,
    Where X= disk volume

    For the results un applications log:
    Souce : Winlogon
    ID : 1001

    2) Clean the temporary files:

    Start | Run | cleanmgr.exe

    3) Defrag the volumes of the HD :

    Start | Run | Defrag.msc

    For multiple volume defrag use this:
    http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/defrag_all.htm

    4) Check devices and drivers and upgrade them if needed

    Start | Run | devmgmt.msc

    a)
    Devices error codes:
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=310123

    b)
    To find recent drivers

    www.driverfiles.net
    or
    used Everest to have more informations about your system configuration
    and some links to the components manufacturer :
    http://www.lavalys.com/

    5) Check the services configuration:

    The mandatories services must be started and in automatic mode
    The others in manual...or disabled....

    More info on W xp services:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
    If you understand french:
    http://climenole.serendipia.net/archives/3-La-Configuration-des-Services-de-Windows-XP.html

    6) Check the applications started at boot and keep them
    to the minimum.

    instead of using msconfig used Starter from CodeStuff...
    http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/

    Check for applications in your account and All users
    (from an admin account...)

    7) Control what's running on that PC with this tool:

    Process Explorer :
    (an enhanced Task Manager!)
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    8) Defrag the protected files ( Registry , hiberfil.sys, Pagefile.sys etc.)

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

    9) Optimize the prefetching

    Run this command :
    %windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
    usefull only when the computer is idle...
    The service Task Scheduler must be running and in automatic mode.
    Check this value:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
    The keyEnablePrefetcher REG_DWORD must be set to 3.

    10) Check the warnings and errors in the application and system logs
    and fix the problems when needed:

    Start | Run | eventvwr.msc

    Some hints : http://www.eventid.net/

    11)
    Check those Windows Explorer parameters

    a) To used the multi-thread in Windows explorer:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    Create this key:

    DesktopProcess
    Reg_DWord
    value 1

    b) Change the value of the "Windows priority separation" :

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl
    Create this key

    Win32PrioritySeparation
    Reg_DWord
    Value 26 in HEX

    c) Modify those folders options :

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

    Don't hide hidden folder and files
    HideFileExt
    Reg_Dword
    1

    Open folders in separate process
    SeparateProcess
    Reg_Dword
    1

    12) Avoid "wild" shutdown :

    The shutdown procedure is important to keep your systen up and running.
    A smooth shutdown protect tour W xp registry against corruption preventing
    XP to boot...

    Install also the MS UPHClean service in your system :

    User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
    A service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

    13) Safe & Cool ...

    A)
    Keep your system free of malwares (virus, worms,spywares, etc.)
    *And avoid bugaboo "utilities" such as registry cleaner, optimizer, doctor, and blah blah blah...*
    If you understand french:
    http://climenole.serendipia.net/archives/5-Quelques-liens-utiles-pour-la-securite-de-Windows-XP.html
    (english version soon...)

    Check your firewall configuration and make sure your PC is "stealth":
    www.grc.com
    Run the "Shields Up" test .Everythings must be "green" ...

    Update frequently your anti-virus and your anti-spywares.
    ( MS Anti-spyware, SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster and
    Spyware Guard... more than one is better since no one are 100% reliable...)

    And check if the AV is set to protect your PC "On Access"
    (in the so-called "real-time") not only "on demand" ( scan
    runned after the problem...)

    Used an alternate Internet Browser and keep IE
    only for Windows updates and MS specific stuff.
    By alternate I mean :
    Firefox or Opera (not Maxthon, Avant etc.)

    Avoid to surf on the Web from an administrator account.

    You have to "feed" your HOSTS file :

    What is an Hosts file :
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/dictionary/hostsfile.html

    The hosts from MVPs:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
    Frequent updates and documented...

    Tools for Hosts :

    HostToggle:
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/HostsToggle/
    and/or
    WinPatrol:(good also for other insteresting stuff...)
    http://www.winpatrol.com/download.htm

    Some tools and links:

    Those tools do not replaced a resident AV, updated, well configured for
    "On Access" protection. They do not replaced a set of Anti-spywares and
    a well configured Firewall. The most important factor in security is the
    user itself. (The "Safe-Hex").

    "Mini- antivirus" to be runned in safe mode:

    TrendMicro : disable your AV before.

    The "sysclean":
    +
    The virus patterns :

    Put them in the same folder and launch the program.

    Stinger :
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Avast cleaner :

    MS:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=fr

    Kaspersky:
    ftp://ftp.kaspersky.ru/utils/clrav.com

    Anti Root-Kits
    F-Secure (beta)
    http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

    Online scan:

    Anti-trojan:
    http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

    Anti-spy:
    http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_onlinescan.html
    http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=FindOutWhosWatchingYou&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715&CID=181432

    Anti-virus:
    www.trendmicro.com

    B)
    Keep your PC free of dust and check the temperatures with those tools:

    Everest:
    http://www.lavalys.com/

    Remark:
    Very good software but the warnings about the Bios
    and the commercial links to that stuff are useless...

    Bios upgrades *if needed* must comes from the PC manufacturer
    or the Motherboard manufacturer and nobody else.
    (Not needed most of the time : don't worry about this..)

    SpeedFan
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    Remark:
    Good software but the temperatures of the hard disk are not
    reported correctly and most of the time not related to the disk
    reliability.
    Better info from Everest...

    13) Some good sites for Windows XP :

    The Elder Geek
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/index.htm

    Aumha
    http://aumha.org/win5/

    Boot time is not the only parameter to check
    but it give a good idea of the system health.
    A W xp boot in an average of 30 *seconds* ...
    http://cjoint.com/?gxjJ6dYARF

    No more idea...

    Let us know :)

    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net
    Soon on / Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

Windows XP