If you found an exploit, what would you do?

Simple question, really. If you found an exploit in EQ (or, for the EQ2
players, EQ2), what would you do?

For me, the question isn't academic. Last night I found a repeatable
quest which yields between 1750 and 3500 pp per hour, which involves no risk
whatsoever and can be done by a brand new level 1 character. This is a
Yantis exploit waiting to happen. At first I hadn't considered the cash
aspect, and helped a few guildmates get the quest reward quickly. Then, out
of curiosity, I went to a vendor and tried to sell the quest item - over 100
pp for an item that took under 2 minutes to get (and I hadn't bound at one
quest NPC or done any other tricks to speed things up). Yikes. I went to
chat, found what server had a GM online, went to that server and created a
level 1 character, sent a direct tell to the GM, and demonstrated for him
how quickly I could rack up the cash. He sent me back to chat, he talked
with the devs, aaaand... they asked me to file a bug report. It took two bug
reports to give a complete description of the issue - hopefully the devs put
the two together to get the full picture. And hopefully they do this
quickly, before the bots start racking up 80 K a day.

James
20 answers Last reply
More about found exploit

    I would tell your good friend Monual, who badly needs PP to buy runes!

    I guess I'd do exactly what you did and /bug it. I'd also avoid using it,
    because who knows if SOE will decide to crack down and ban everyone who made
    plat off of it.

    --
    -Richard

    Monual Lifegiver
    Prelate of Rodcet Nife
    Drinal server

    In article <kbydnQlhx7s0FHjcRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, Chris Anderson wrote:
    > It's not an academic question for me, either. A few years ago, I found a
    > dup bug. I verified it, filed a bug report, and sent email to SOE
    > customer support. I then waited. Nothing.
    >
    > A week later, I got a GM on chat and demonstrated it to him. I filed
    > another bug report, and sent another email to SOE CS.
    >
    > I was then suspended for 7 days.
    >
    > Four months later, the dup bug was finally fixed. By that time, other

    Assuming the only times you exploited the bug were your initial discovery,
    one verification before filing the bug report, and one time a week later to
    show a GM, then what I would have done upon getting suspended is post
    details to a few major forums and to usenet, on the theory that maybe that
    would get them to actually take a look at the damn bug, instead of just
    shooting the messenger.

    --
    --Tim Smith

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article <kbydnQlhx7s0FHjcRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, Chris Anderson wrote:
    >
    > Assuming the only times you exploited the bug were your initial discovery,
    > one verification before filing the bug report, and one time a week later to
    > show a GM, then what I would have done upon getting suspended is post
    > details to a few major forums and to usenet, on the theory that maybe that
    > would get them to actually take a look at the damn bug, instead of just
    > shooting the messenger.

    I doubt SOE reads usenet. You're right, I should have posted details to
    forums, but honestly, I was so shocked at their actions that I did
    nothing. The GM I demonstrated it to was shocked that I had been
    suspended as well.

    And no, it took some time to reproduce the bug so that I could do it
    consistently. But I also didn't profit off of it, either. The bug was
    a method of duping a stack of items, and it took some time to figure out
    how to get it to happen on demand. I was using stacks of summoned food,
    but I could just as easily been using blue diamonds.

    After I figured it out, I used it once more to show the GM. He had me
    do several dups, using specific GM items, so that he could verify the bug.

    In article <ovfFd.21779$06.5761@clgrps12>, James Grahame wrote:
    > Simple question, really. If you found an exploit in EQ (or, for the EQ2
    > players, EQ2), what would you do?

    Treat it like an exploitable security hole in any other software. There are
    a couple of different approaches that are common for that.

    One is to notify the vendor (SOE in this case), and if they reasonably
    acknowledge the problem, and appear to be taking reasonable steps to fix
    it, wait. If they deny or ignore the problem, publish the details. This
    approach is fairly common. (You publish because the bad guys usually find
    this stuff out anyway, so keeping it secret just makes it harder for the
    people who aren't bad guys to know what the bad guys are up to).

    Another is similar, but you publish the details after giving them a head
    start, without waiting to see if they are actually addressing the problem or
    not. You might consider delaying if they argue that the fix is very
    difficult or time consuming. This approach is also fairly common.

    Another approach (favored by noted computer security expert Dan Bernstein)
    is to immediately publish the details of the problem. His reasoning is that
    almost all security problems could have been prevented with proper care and
    design and testing, but because people are "nice" to the vendors (e.g., the
    first two approaches), there isn't really incentive to produce secure code
    in the first place. It is cheaper to produce insecure code, and only fix
    things that people find. Giving the vendor any warning before publishing
    just encourages them to continue with their poor practices.

    --
    --Tim Smith

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:33:45 -0800 in
    <kbydnQlhx7s0FHjcRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, Chris Anderson
    <chris.a.anderson@comcast.net> graced the world with this thought:

    >It's not an academic question for me, either. A few years ago, I found
    >a dup bug. I verified it, filed a bug report, and sent email to SOE
    >customer support. I then waited. Nothing.
    >
    >A week later, I got a GM on chat and demonstrated it to him. I filed
    >another bug report, and sent another email to SOE CS.
    >
    >I was then suspended for 7 days.

    lol... funny, I started reading this, and thought "ah, yes, I remember
    when they used to suspend people who reported bugs."

    That has got to be the stupidest damn policy they've ever had. I
    wonder if they still do it.

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:11:00 GMT in <ovfFd.21779$06.5761@clgrps12>,
    "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> graced the world with this
    thought:

    > Simple question, really. If you found an exploit in EQ (or, for the EQ2
    >players, EQ2), what would you do?
    >
    > For me, the question isn't academic. Last night I found a repeatable
    >quest which yields between 1750 and 3500 pp per hour, which involves no risk
    >whatsoever and can be done by a brand new level 1 character. This is a
    >Yantis exploit waiting to happen. At first I hadn't considered the cash
    >aspect, and helped a few guildmates get the quest reward quickly. Then, out
    >of curiosity, I went to a vendor and tried to sell the quest item - over 100
    >pp for an item that took under 2 minutes to get (and I hadn't bound at one
    >quest NPC or done any other tricks to speed things up). Yikes. I went to
    >chat, found what server had a GM online, went to that server and created a
    >level 1 character, sent a direct tell to the GM, and demonstrated for him
    >how quickly I could rack up the cash. He sent me back to chat, he talked
    >with the devs, aaaand... they asked me to file a bug report. It took two bug
    >reports to give a complete description of the issue - hopefully the devs put
    >the two together to get the full picture. And hopefully they do this
    >quickly, before the bots start racking up 80 K a day.
    >
    > James

    The one time I applied for a guide's position about three years ago,
    the question was asked "what would you do if, after a patch, you
    discovered items rated far above the level of the npc it came off of,
    or in a zone it shouldn't be in?" or something along that line
    I answered "first I'd fill every slot in my bank box, then I'd tell
    all my friends."
    Needless to say, I didn't get the spot. They really need to work on
    their sense of humor down there.

    "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Simple question, really. If you found an exploit in EQ (or, for the
    EQ2
    > players, EQ2), what would you do?

    why hasn't anyone suggested posting it here for all your a.g.e. friends ?
    ;)

    * ducks and waits for the mallet bash to the head*

    --
    eq2.najena.Simonette
    eq2.najena.Floriana

    If you ever stumble upon an exploit, never report it yourself. You will get
    banned.

    "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Simple question, really. If you found an exploit in EQ (or, for the EQ2
    > players, EQ2), what would you do?
    >
    > For me, the question isn't academic. Last night I found a repeatable
    > quest which yields between 1750 and 3500 pp per hour, which involves no risk
    > whatsoever and can be done by a brand new level 1 character. This is a
    > Yantis exploit waiting to happen. At first I hadn't considered the cash
    > aspect, and helped a few guildmates get the quest reward quickly. Then, out
    > of curiosity, I went to a vendor and tried to sell the quest item - over 100
    > pp for an item that took under 2 minutes to get (and I hadn't bound at one
    > quest NPC or done any other tricks to speed things up). Yikes. I went to
    > chat, found what server had a GM online, went to that server and created a
    > level 1 character, sent a direct tell to the GM, and demonstrated for him
    > how quickly I could rack up the cash. He sent me back to chat, he talked
    > with the devs, aaaand... they asked me to file a bug report. It took two bug
    > reports to give a complete description of the issue - hopefully the devs put
    > the two together to get the full picture. And hopefully they do this
    > quickly, before the bots start racking up 80 K a day.
    >
    > James

    "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Simple question, really. If you found an exploit in EQ (or, for the
    EQ2
    > players, EQ2), what would you do?

    Make as much pp and profit off it as I could before SoE close it down.

    <puts little finger near mouth>

    Muwhahhahahhahaha

    Etc.

    James Grahame wrote:
    > Simple question, really. If you found an exploit in EQ (or, for the
    EQ2
    > players, EQ2), what would you do?

    In EQ2, I would exploit said bug until I racked up a huge (but not
    suspiciously huge) sum of in-game money. Then, I would sell my
    "ill-gotten" gains on ebay for large sums of real world cash. Then, I
    would repeat this process until a less intelligent person reported this
    bug or SoE caught on and banned me. I would then take all of my real
    world cash and buy myself something nice, like a new sofa.

    It's not my job or moral obligation to play Quality Assurance for any
    company, especially when I'm a paying customer, and especially not if
    it's in my real world financial interests not to.

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:45:19 +0100, "The Uber Nuker"
    <ubernuker@powers.net> wrote:

    >If you ever stumble upon an exploit, never report it yourself. You will get
    >banned.

    I see our top-posting jackass troll is still around.

    No, they've learned their lesson. And I honestly think that when
    people were banned for reporting 'em way back, it was just overzealous
    GMs and not company policy.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Sympathy for the retailer:
    http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
    "Door's to your left" -Gord

    Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

    James Grahame wrote:
    > "Pamela Carlton" <lambchop@whocareswhere.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > >> Simple question, really. If you found an exploit in EQ (or,
    for the
    > > EQ2
    > >> players, EQ2), what would you do?
    > >>
    > > why hasn't anyone suggested posting it here for all your a.g.e.
    friends ?
    > > ;)
    > >
    > > * ducks and waits for the mallet bash to the head*
    >
    > Well, I can now, since the quest was taken out of game as of
    yesterday.
    > :-)
    >
    > The Drape of Firiona quest (part of the lead-in to the new
    expansion)
    > worked like this: get four ground spawns (two in Butcherblock, two in

    > Greater Faydark). Hand to NPC in Felwithe A. He gives you an item for
    NPC in
    > Felwithe B. Turning in that item starts a quest dialogue, at the end
    of
    > which you get an item for another NPC in Felwithe A. Hand to her, get
    an
    > item for the first NPC in Felwithe A, who gives you a Drape of
    Firiona:

    > SHOULDER - MAGIC, LORE
    > AC: 12
    > DEX: +7 WIS: +7 INT: +7 AGI: +7 HP: +45 MANA: +40 ENDUR: +40
    > SV FIRE: +7 SV COLD: +7 SV MAGIC: +7
    > Required level of 40.
    > WT: 1.0 Size: SMALL
    > Class: ALL
    > Race: ALL
    > Slot 1, Type 7
    >
    > I did the quest for my enchanter, then realized, hmm - the NPC in

    > Felwithe B gives you the note as a result of saying a quest phrase. I
    wonder
    > if I needed to hand in the ground spawns for the quest phrase to
    work?

    > No, I didn't.
    >
    > So now, all it takes to get a fairly nice item is running around
    > Felwithe a bit. Cool! Wait, this item is droppable and the last
    turn-in NPC
    > is maybe 10-15 units from the Felwithe Tribute Master - I wonder how
    much
    > tribute it's worth? 125? Not bad! But, an item usually has tribute
    roughly
    > equal to its sale price... 118 pp with 90 CHA. Ruh-roh!
    >
    > I had a guildmate time me. Just under 110 seconds to run, with
    level 47
    > SoW, from the first NPC until I got a Drape (so a full circuit for
    someone
    > exploiting the quest). That included time to zone from A to B and
    back to A.
    > I didn't use any tricks to shorten the time, like binding at the
    Felwithe B
    > NPC or creating a quest phrase hotkey. Assuming it would add 25
    seconds onto
    > my trip to also sell and bank the result after each circuit, you're
    still
    > looking at over 3000 pp per hour from a very automated process. I was

    > tempted to get the level 1 high elf paladin I was using to
    demonstrate the
    > error full store-bought plate before asking the GM to look into it,
    but I
    > was worried he might log before I was done. So I did my good deed for
    the
    > day!
    >
    > James

    Nice, I did the first part of quest the way it was intended and never
    thought about that.

    Although having it completed on a server, Bertoxx is the one I think,
    was a reasonable reason for ending the quest, I now wonder if the
    exploit you discovered might have been a contributing reason. Just
    because it was completed on one server should not deny players/guilds
    on other servers from trying to complete the quest too. I was trying to
    do the second part (Butcherblock port and Freeport) when I and another
    quester found the dwarf on the pier didn't give the quest text nor
    respond to the quest phrases. Then he despawned.

    But if there was an exploit that SOE probably couldn't figure out a
    workaround, they'd take the quick solution and deactivate the quest. If
    they figure out a way to prevent the exploit, they might reinstate the
    quest for awhile (one could hope).

    =30=

    On 2005-01-12, Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
    > is to immediately publish the details of the problem. His reasoning is that
    > almost all security problems could have been prevented with proper care and
    > design and testing, but because people are "nice" to the vendors (e.g., the
    > first two approaches), there isn't really incentive to produce secure code
    > in the first place. It is cheaper to produce insecure code, and only fix
    > things that people find. Giving the vendor any warning before publishing
    > just encourages them to continue with their poor practices.

    An argument that assumes the burden of early disclosure falls on
    the vendor, not the vendors customers, and that there is sufficient
    choice in the marketplace for the customers to obtain an alternative
    vendor with better security practices while still providing the
    required functionality at a competitive price point.

    I've not yet seen that market ;) Report the bug to Sony, if nothing
    happens in a week or two then email the bug to their head of CSR
    outlining the possible consequences. If nothing happens then post
    it on their forumns ;)

    Matt

    "The Uber Nuker" <ubernuker@powers.net> wrote in

    > "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> Simple question, really. If you found an exploit in EQ (or, for
    >> the EQ2
    >> players, EQ2), what would you do?
    >>
    >> For me, the question isn't academic. Last night I found a
    >> repeatable
    >> quest which yields between 1750 and 3500 pp per hour, which involves
    >> no risk whatsoever and can be done by a brand new level 1 character.
    >> This is a Yantis exploit waiting to happen. At first I hadn't
    >> considered the cash aspect, and helped a few guildmates get the quest
    >> reward quickly. Then, out of curiosity, I went to a vendor and tried
    >> to sell the quest item - over 100 pp for an item that took under 2
    >> minutes to get (and I hadn't bound at one quest NPC or done any other
    >> tricks to speed things up). Yikes. I went to chat, found what server
    >> had a GM online, went to that server and created a level 1 character,
    >> sent a direct tell to the GM, and demonstrated for him how quickly I
    >> could rack up the cash. He sent me back to chat, he talked with the
    >> devs, aaaand... they asked me to file a bug report. It took two bug
    >> reports to give a complete description of the issue - hopefully the
    >> devs put the two together to get the full picture. And hopefully they
    >> do this quickly, before the bots start racking up 80 K a day.
    >
    > If you ever stumble upon an exploit, never report it yourself. You
    > will get banned.

    As evidenced by the fact that he did indeed report it, and, I am making a
    wild guess here, was not banned for it...

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

    bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in news:KziFd.5836$Ii4.1755
    @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:33:45 -0800 in
    > <kbydnQlhx7s0FHjcRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, Chris Anderson
    > <chris.a.anderson@comcast.net> graced the world with this thought:
    >
    >>It's not an academic question for me, either. A few years ago, I found
    >>a dup bug. I verified it, filed a bug report, and sent email to SOE
    >>customer support. I then waited. Nothing.
    >>
    >>A week later, I got a GM on chat and demonstrated it to him. I filed
    >>another bug report, and sent another email to SOE CS.
    >>
    >>I was then suspended for 7 days.
    >
    > lol... funny, I started reading this, and thought "ah, yes, I remember
    > when they used to suspend people who reported bugs."
    >
    > That has got to be the stupidest damn policy they've ever had. I
    > wonder if they still do it.

    Looks like they did not for James so far anyway. A policy like that is
    designed to assure that people take advantage of the exploit to the hilt,
    and publicize it instead of quietly letting SoE know about the problem,
    and perhaps even fix it prior to it's abuse getting out of control.

    --
> [...]

    error full store-bought plate before asking the GM to look into it, but I
    was worried he might log before I was done. So I did my good deed for the
    day!

    James

    James Grahame <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote:
    > The Drape of Firiona quest (part of the lead-in to the new expansion)
    > worked like this: get four ground spawns (two in Butcherblock, two in
    > Greater Faydark). Hand to NPC in Felwithe A. He gives you an item for NPC in
    > Felwithe B. Turning in that item starts a quest dialogue, at the end of
    > which you get an item for another NPC in Felwithe A. Hand to her, get an
    > item for the first NPC in Felwithe A, who gives you a Drape of Firiona:

    > SHOULDER - MAGIC, LORE
    > AC: 12
    > DEX: +7 WIS: +7 INT: +7 AGI: +7 HP: +45 MANA: +40 ENDUR: +40
    Whoa, pardon me. But didn't you say this could be done with a level 1
    char? And from reading your description it doesn't sound very
    complicated or dangerous to assume otherwise. So SoE really intends lvl1
    chars to wear THIS? I know the charm from the tutorial isn't that far
    off stat wise. But if they keep at it then they could discard the whole
    newbie quests.

    I'd vote for a lvl50 button on the char creation screen then.^^

    Hagen

    <durragon@web.de> wrote:
    > James Grahame <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote:
    >
    > > Required level of 40.
    >
    > So SoE really intends lvl1 chars to wear THIS?

    Go go reading comprehension. =P

    In article <nrs8sc.m01.ln@arellarti.fqdn.th-h.de>, Hagen Sienhold wrote:
    >> SHOULDER - MAGIC, LORE
    >> AC: 12
    >> DEX: +7 WIS: +7 INT: +7 AGI: +7 HP: +45 MANA: +40 ENDUR: +40
    >> SV FIRE: +7 SV COLD: +7 SV MAGIC: +7
    +---------------------+
    /|Required level of 40.|
    + +---------------------+
    +---------------------+
    >> WT: 1.0 Size: SMALL
    >> Class: ALL
    >> Race: ALL
    >> Slot 1, Type 7
    > Whoa, pardon me. But didn't you say this could be done with a level 1
    > char? And from reading your description it doesn't sound very
    > complicated or dangerous to assume otherwise. So SoE really intends lvl1
    > chars to wear THIS? I know the charm from the tutorial isn't that far

    I've raised the part you overlooked to make it easier to see. :-)

    --
    --Tim Smith

    Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
    > In article <nrs8sc.m01.ln@arellarti.fqdn.th-h.de>, Hagen Sienhold wrote:
    >>> SHOULDER - MAGIC, LORE
    >>> AC: 12
    >>> DEX: +7 WIS: +7 INT: +7 AGI: +7 HP: +45 MANA: +40 ENDUR: +40
    >>> SV FIRE: +7 SV COLD: +7 SV MAGIC: +7
    > +---------------------+
    > /|Required level of 40.|
    > + +---------------------+
    > +---------------------+
    >>> WT: 1.0 Size: SMALL
    >>> Class: ALL
    >>> Race: ALL
    >>> Slot 1, Type 7
    >> Whoa, pardon me. But didn't you say this could be done with a level 1
    >> char? And from reading your description it doesn't sound very
    >> complicated or dangerous to assume otherwise. So SoE really intends lvl1
    >> chars to wear THIS? I know the charm from the tutorial isn't that far

    > I've raised the part you overlooked to make it easier to see. :-)
    Well you and Faned got me there. ;)

    Hagen

Exploit Games Video Games