Intel Labs' OASIS Makes Lego Playtime Awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... no creative thinking for children... no training of writhing and memorizing for groceries list... technology in this case don't help... it is cool, but not helping to get away from dependencies...

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Interactive board games!

But even then, a full-size LCD display touch surface as Microsoft had shown 3 years ago might be a more interesting option for those.

The recognition aspect is what is interesting, but even then, unless it comes down to being very inexpensive, I don't see this being of any use to the mainstream as regular working people wouldn't be willing to shell out a grand or more for something they can get by without already pretty well.

nonameworks

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I can't see this being closed and affordable, or open without terrible surprises. To clarify what I mean the object recognition database could be open source which would allow for it to be affordable. But if it was open it could serve up some unfortunate images or animations. But this is just a science project, by the time it is used in production it will be significantly different.

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i m a g i n a t i o n...not substitutable. As for higher up uses I can see potential but leave kids alone for sakes.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I don't get those mentioning that it's stupid because kids have imagination. I mean kids play computer games where all this shown exists in the game. This is just an added level to the toys just like the toys themselves are an added level with their colours and shapes compared to eg. some stick and stones.

I will agree though that this isn't something spectacular nor something commercially viable.

G

As like Microsoft Surface, or as like G-Speak.

Intel is remaking the whell, and tom's news is old.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Watch this, from same research program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRn34pmD5ww
anyone remember Doom and self drawing maps?
It's exactly like that!
OMG, augumented reality, live 3D terrain/building mapping, tons of possibilities! Imagine such simple device in hands of rescuers, and someone overvieweng them, or (waterproofed, of course) in caves - no more lost souls. This video was without external sensors, but one may include some gyros/accelerometers/gps for added functionality. That's a jawdrop!

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
This could have alot of practical purposes in a house where all tables have it, and maybe information from the computer could be viewable on the home's local network and can be manipulated at will by other computers in the house. The part where he typed lemon could be alot easier if inputted from a keyboard.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... no creative thinking for children... no training of writhing and memorizing for groceries list... technology in this case don't help... it is cool, but not helping to get away from dependencies...[/citation]
writhing? do you mean writing? if so it seems your non tech schooling didn't help you either :p

Status
Not open for further replies.