Skyrim performance

baz89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
hello everyone,
just installed skyrim on my laptop and it seems very laggy. Can anyone recommend me some settings to use? here is some details for my pc copied from canyourunit lol :D

CPU
Minimum: Info
You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz
PASS

CPU Speed
Minimum: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or equivalent processor
You Have: 2.3 GHz
PASS

Bios Name
Minimum: Info
You Have:
Name: Default System BIOS
Version: Hewlett-Packard F.28
Click here for the latest BIOS updates.

RAM
Minimum: 2 GB
You Have: 3.0 GB
PASS

OS
Minimum: Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
PASS Click here for the latest Windows drivers.

Video Card
Minimum: DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM (NOTE: This requirement is NOT yet confirmed by Bethesda - NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT & ATI Radeon X1800. Please be advised this may change soon).
You Have: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations. Click here for the latest Video drivers.
Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 512 MB 1.2 GB
Pixel Shader version 3.0 4.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 4.0

Sound Card
Minimum: Yes
You Have: HP Webcam Splitter
PASS Click here for the latest Sound Card drivers.

Free Disk Space
Minimum: 6 GB
You Have: 80.8 GB
PASS

baz89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

Thanks for the replies. Can you please explain more I am new to all this. Cheers

If you look in the bios, press F2/Del when booting (you should see a message), and somewhere you might find a setting for video memory. But first off all check to see if at the very lowest settings on skyrim (including resolution) helps, the lower resolution etc. will reduce the amount of video memory that you need.
Ultimately you are on a laptop, they are not great for gaming unfortunatley unless you specifically brought it for gaming, typically $1500 ish.

JohnK11

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
i3 with onboard Intel 3000 graphics is just not enough--you may be able to get halfway decent fps by lowering all the effects, etc. Good luck.

For those of you who wants to buy a budget laptop for games such as Skyrim, the AMD a8-3500 or 3870 give you almost decent fps for Skyrim/medium settings--see below

(my $499/on-sale Gateway NV55S05u A8-3500 6GB/640GB HD
laptop plays Skyrim at 20 fps at the laptop's native res (1366x768)
with medium effects (8 samples in AA/Anis, High in Texture, Shadow,
Decal, Distance, Medium in Radial and FXAA off).