can not turn off automatic updates.

somehow I have turned on automatic updates to install at 3:00 am.Trouble is,
the install stuffs my network and I have to go back to a previous restore
point to get my system working again. And the next night it happens all over
again.
I can't turn off automatic updates because nothing can be changed in the
auto update config tool.
The only way I have been able to stop the cycle is to stop the services
associated with auto update.
Anyone have any ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about turn automatic updates

    Satinay,
    "The only way I have been able to stop the cycle is to stop the
    services
    associated with auto update."

    That works for me too. If I have to update, I just turn on the auto
    update service, reboot, and do my updates manually. Not allowing SP2,
    choosing the custom install, you should be able to pick & choose which
    updates you know won't booger your machine.
    Can't you go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - System
    Click the Automatic Update Tab and choose to turn it off?
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    No, Nothing on the update is accessible. All is greyed out.

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > That works for me too. If I have to update, I just turn on the auto
    > update service, reboot, and do my updates manually. Not allowing SP2,
    > choosing the custom install, you should be able to pick & choose which
    > updates you know won't booger your machine.
    > Can't you go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - System
    > Click the Automatic Update Tab and choose to turn it off?
    > Best,
    > Treeman

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP