I think this started after installing SP2 for XP Pro.
When backup is run you get the hourglass for a few seconds and then the UI
for backup does not display. Looking in the system log I get the following
error:

The server {D61A27C6-8F53-11D0-BFA0-00A024151983} did not register with DCOM
within the required timeout.

This is the ntmssvc.dll (removable storage).

For the life of me I can't seem to correct it. I have put a new ntmssvc.dll
in system32, have run regsvr32 to register the ntmssvc.dll, have reloaded the
backup utility.

After a minute or so, I finally get a window for the backup utility. The
window is blank - just a title bar that says "backup" and that's it.
Otherwise it is just a blank window.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have looked high and low and can't
seem to find the answer.

I have also run dcomcnfg to see if it finds any errors in the dcom config
but it doesn't.

Thanks,

Warren

"" wrote:
> I think this started after installing SP2 for XP Pro.
> When backup is run you get the hourglass for a few seconds and
> then the UI
> for backup does not display. Looking in the system log I get
> the following
> error:
>
> The server {D61A27C6-8F53-11D0-BFA0-00A024151983} did not
> register with DCOM
> within the required timeout.
>
> This is the ntmssvc.dll (removable storage).
>
> For the life of me I can't seem to correct it. I have put a
> new ntmssvc.dll
> in system32, have run regsvr32 to register the ntmssvc.dll,
> have reloaded the
> backup utility.
>
> After a minute or so, I finally get a window for the backup
> utility. The
> window is blank - just a title bar that says "backup" and
> that's it.
> Otherwise it is just a blank window.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have looked high and
> low and can't
> seem to find the answer.
>
> I have also run dcomcnfg to see if it finds any errors in the
> dcom config
> but it doesn't.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Warren

Follow the instructions on: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=235032

Good luck!

Jan

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Perform-Maintain-backup-XP-Pro-ftopict549469.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1757367

Thanks for the input. The other day I discovered what your referenced KB
article suggests by just renaming the databases in the ntmsdata sub
directory. As soon as I renamed the databases to .old Win XP noticed that
they were missing and recreated them. As soon as that was done, backup
started working OK as well as removable storage manager.

Not sure how they got corrupted in the first place. Oh well....

Thanks for your assistance.

Warren