I Installed a 2nd HD and cloned my first HD to it as a backup
and would like to be able to dual boot. This is XP Pro. I would like
to know what numbers to use in multi, disk, and rdisk. It is in the
first partition so I think that would be #1
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect

multi(?)disk(?)rdisk(?)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional backup" /fastdetect

Can someone fill in the ??? marks for me.

Thanks

Disks start at 0 and partitions at 1. So the second hard drive is 1. The first partition of that hard drive is 1.

"herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBD4F6B2-A116-46FB-8B7A-0AFB517EB5E1@microsoft.com...
>I Installed a 2nd HD and cloned my first HD to it as a backup
> and would like to be able to dual boot. This is XP Pro. I would like
> to know what numbers to use in multi, disk, and rdisk. It is in the
> first partition so I think that would be #1
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect
>
> multi(?)disk(?)rdisk(?)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional backup" /fastdetect
>
> Can someone fill in the ??? marks for me.
>
> Thanks

What do I use for multi and rdisk ?
thanks

"David Candy" wrote:

> Disks start at 0 and partitions at 1. So the second hard drive is 1. The first partition of that hard drive is 1.

> "herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBD4F6B2-A116-46FB-8B7A-0AFB517EB5E1@microsoft.com...
> >I Installed a 2nd HD and cloned my first HD to it as a backup
> > and would like to be able to dual boot. This is XP Pro. I would like
> > to know what numbers to use in multi, disk, and rdisk. It is in the
> > first partition so I think that would be #1
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=30
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> > Professional" /fastdetect
> >
> > multi(?)disk(?)rdisk(?)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> > Professional backup" /fastdetect
> >
> > Can someone fill in the ??? marks for me.
> >
> > Thanks

The same if you have the same type of drive. SCSI can be different but IDE is always that. Both are always 0.

This is for RISC processors that XP was designed to run on. Not that it runs on any anymore but that's why.