Page file

I hear folks saying to "move" the page file to a differnt drive than the OS.
I hear filks outlining that each drive should have a page fie.

You have the default pagefile that is implemented during install.
If you were attempting to "move " the file ou would select a different drive
and specify your size values and then I would assume you would reset the
sizes of the original page file on drive c: to zero... in this way re
claiming some disk space ??

Is this recommended......you will get a warning that the disks's page file
is now too small to support degugging activity should it need to be done....

what do you folks recommend ?

"Dan DeCoursey" <DanDeCoursey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

> You have the default pagefile that is implemented during install.
> If you were attempting to "move " the file ou would select a different drive
> and specify your size values and then I would assume you would reset the
> sizes of the original page file on drive c: to zero... in this way re
> claiming some disk space ??
>
> Is this recommended......you will get a warning that the disks's page file
> is now too small to support degugging activity should it need to be done....
>
> what do you folks recommend ?

Unless your second HD is as fast as your boot HD, you may actually lose
performance by moving the Pagefile.

For the average user, there is no need to move the Pagefile; it works just fine
on the boot drive. Just make it a constant size (min size = max size) to help
prevent fragmentation of the Pagefile.

Hi Dan,

I would suggest following the instructions in this article.
Virtual Memory in Windows XP
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

"John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155(at)@[NOSPAM].comcast(dot).net> wrote:

>"Dan DeCoursey" <DanDeCoursey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
>>
>> You have the default pagefile that is implemented during install.
>> If you were attempting to "move " the file ou would select a different drive
>> and specify your size values and then I would assume you would reset the
>> sizes of the original page file on drive c: to zero... in this way re
>> claiming some disk space ??
>>
>> Is this recommended......you will get a warning that the disks's page file
>> is now too small to support degugging activity should it need to be done....
>>
>> what do you folks recommend ?
>
>Unless your second HD is as fast as your boot HD, you may actually lose
>performance by moving the Pagefile.

Not so. If it reduces the amount of drive head repositioning that
has to be done then having a pagefile on a second hard drive will
improve performance even if the second drive is slower, provided there
is some actual paging activity occurring.

>For the average user, there is no need to move the Pagefile; it works just fine
>on the boot drive. Just make it a constant size (min size = max size) to help
>prevent fragmentation of the Pagefile.

Page file framentation as a performance issue is right up there with
Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy - lots of hype but very
little substance.

And setting minimum = maximum for the page file/swap file is just
plain bad advice for any version of Windows.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"Dan DeCoursey" <DanDeCoursey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I hear folks saying to "move" the page file to a differnt drive than the OS.
>I hear filks outlining that each drive should have a page fie.
>
>You have the default pagefile that is implemented during install.
>If you were attempting to "move " the file ou would select a different drive
>and specify your size values and then I would assume you would reset the
>sizes of the original page file on drive c: to zero... in this way re
>claiming some disk space ??
>
>Is this recommended......you will get a warning that the disks's page file
>is now too small to support degugging activity should it need to be done....
>
>what do you folks recommend ?

If you have more than one physical hard drive then you should
configure a page file on each drive. That allows Windows to choose
whichever page file is most efficient for each specific paging
operation.

Windows uses the page file for a number of different purposes in
addition to the "normal" paging out of inactive RAM content; and for
at least one of these other purposes (system failure memory dumps) it
requires a page file on the boot drive. This file must be at least as
large as the size of the memory dump option that is selected.

My preference is to configure the memory dumps to "small memory dump
(64 kb)" and to set the page file on the boot drive to something quite
small, such as a 10 mb minimum and 50 mb maximum.

Good luck