Another dumb question about FSP-AX500

foofighters

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2004
I know I might get flamed for this, but it could be important.
I just got and fitted my new FSP-AX500 psu. It has a fan at the apparent top of the psu instead of the rear with the plugs. I would think I would have this fan facing down into the case for airflow, but the writing is then upside down and it the opposite way my old psu connected.
Should the fan face down into the middle of the case, or up and into the roof of the case?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Standard mounting for ATX power supplies is upside-down. That is, with the lid on the bottom. The reason for that originally was so that power supplies with the fan in the lid could cool the CPU.

Yes, the fan should face downward towards the CPU. But in this situation, it draws warm air away from the CPU cooler, rather than blowing on the CPU as they did back in 1996.

Some cases are screwed up and actually won't let you mount the power supply the right way, such cases should be modified to accept the proper orientation.

So the fan should face the middle of the case as you said. Except that it's an exhaust fan, so it actually faces into the power supply :smile:

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

foofighters

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2004
Thanks Crashman. I have had it that way since I got it and it is working great. It seems like the only logical way it can go, but the upside down writing threw me.

It is a fantastic PSU by the way, if anyone else is looking for a new one.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, OK, no more "upside-down" comments: The fan is in the lid, standard mounting has the lid on the bottom.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>