disk cleanup

I am planning to download and install Office service pack 3 and Windows
service pack 2. It was recommended, that before I do, to resolve any
computer issues. So I ran virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I
decided to use the desk cleanup program.

After ten mins... there is still only 3 green "chiclets". "Disk Cleanup is
calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:). This may take a
few minutes to complete. Calculating... Scanning: Compress old files".

My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free Space: 27.1GB and
Total Size: 37.2 GB

Any suggestions?
6 answers Last reply
More about disk cleanup

    Hi,

    Be patient, give it time to calculate.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    blondiesque wrote:
    > I am planning to download and install Office service pack
    > 3 and Windows service pack 2. It was recommended, that
    > before I do, to resolve any computer issues. So I ran
    > virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I decided to
    > use the desk cleanup program.
    >
    > After ten mins... there is still only 3 green "chiclets".
    > "Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be
    > able to free on (C:). This may take a few minutes to
    > complete. Calculating... Scanning: Compress old
    > files".
    >
    > My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free
    > Space: 27.1GB and Total Size: 37.2 GB
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    While being impatient...

    I cancelled the disk clean up and tried the disk defragementer utility. No
    problem analyzing and defragmenting... from 71% to 72%!

    What is the difference between the two utilities? If I start the disk
    cleanup again should the compression time be shorter?

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Be patient, give it time to calculate.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > blondiesque wrote:
    > > I am planning to download and install Office service pack
    > > 3 and Windows service pack 2. It was recommended, that
    > > before I do, to resolve any computer issues. So I ran
    > > virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I decided to
    > > use the desk cleanup program.
    > >
    > > After ten mins... there is still only 3 green "chiclets".
    > > "Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be
    > > able to free on (C:). This may take a few minutes to
    > > complete. Calculating... Scanning: Compress old
    > > files".
    > >
    > > My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free
    > > Space: 27.1GB and Total Size: 37.2 GB
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?

    Hi,

    Look a Will Denny's reply to you with a possible fix for Disk Cleanup.

    When you are saving files, the file is not necessarily saved as an
    entire file or folder in a contiguous space. The files are saved in
    the first available space on a drive. After a large portion of the
    drive has been used for file and folder storage, most of the new files
    are saved in pieces across the drive. When you delete files or
    folders, the empty spaces left behind fill in randomly as you store
    new ones.
    Disk Defragmenter consolidates fragmented files and folders on your
    computer's hard disk, so that each occupies a single, contiguous space
    on the volume As a result, your system can gain access to your files
    and folders and save new ones more efficiently.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312

    --

    blondiesque wrote:
    > While being impatient...
    >
    > I cancelled the disk clean up and tried the disk
    > defragementer utility. No problem analyzing and
    > defragmenting... from 71% to 72%!
    >
    > What is the difference between the two utilities? If I
    > start the disk cleanup again should the compression time
    > be shorter?
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Be patient, give it time to calculate.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> blondiesque wrote:
    >>> I am planning to download and install Office service
    >>> pack 3 and Windows service pack 2. It was recommended,
    >>> that before I do, to resolve any computer issues. So I
    >>> ran virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I
    >>> decided to use the desk cleanup program.
    >>>
    >>> After ten mins... there is still only 3 green
    >>> "chiclets". "Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space
    >>> you will be able to free on (C:). This may take a few
    >>> minutes to complete. Calculating... Scanning:
    >>> Compress old files".
    >>>
    >>> My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free
    >>> Space: 27.1GB and Total Size: 37.2 GB
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:

    "Why does Disk Cleanup freeze?"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "blondiesque" <blondiesque@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am planning to download and install Office service pack 3 and Windows
    > service pack 2. It was recommended, that before I do, to resolve any
    > computer issues. So I ran virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I
    > decided to use the desk cleanup program.
    >
    > After ten mins... there is still only 3 green "chiclets". "Disk Cleanup
    > is
    > calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:). This may
    > take a
    > few minutes to complete. Calculating... Scanning: Compress old files".
    >
    > My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free Space: 27.1GB and
    > Total Size: 37.2 GB
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Thanks for all your help and advice.
    I used the file at
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm ; (line 48, right-hand
    column -->Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freeze

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:
    >
    > "Why does Disk Cleanup freeze?"
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "blondiesque" <blondiesque@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am planning to download and install Office service pack 3 and Windows
    > > service pack 2. It was recommended, that before I do, to resolve any
    > > computer issues. So I ran virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I
    > > decided to use the desk cleanup program.
    > >
    > > After ten mins... there is still only 3 green "chiclets". "Disk Cleanup
    > > is
    > > calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:). This may
    > > take a
    > > few minutes to complete. Calculating... Scanning: Compress old files".
    > >
    > > My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free Space: 27.1GB and
    > > Total Size: 37.2 GB
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?

    You may have to wait a year or so for it to work. So try to be patient.

    Noone knows the cause. But each time it hangs it hangs at a different part of the drive. I left mine with the problem for a year while I tried to discover the cause. A couple of months ago I loaded it in a debugger to have another go and the problem had solved itself.

    "blondiesque" <blondiesque@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E6B7D72-9A54-4CBA-B118-32DE6642D7DF@microsoft.com...
    > While being impatient...
    >
    > I cancelled the disk clean up and tried the disk defragementer utility. No
    > problem analyzing and defragmenting... from 71% to 72%!
    >
    > What is the difference between the two utilities? If I start the disk
    > cleanup again should the compression time be shorter?
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Be patient, give it time to calculate.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> blondiesque wrote:
    >> > I am planning to download and install Office service pack
    >> > 3 and Windows service pack 2. It was recommended, that
    >> > before I do, to resolve any computer issues. So I ran
    >> > virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I decided to
    >> > use the desk cleanup program.
    >> >
    >> > After ten mins... there is still only 3 green "chiclets".
    >> > "Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be
    >> > able to free on (C:). This may take a few minutes to
    >> > complete. Calculating... Scanning: Compress old
    >> > files".
    >> >
    >> > My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free
    >> > Space: 27.1GB and Total Size: 37.2 GB
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions?

Disk Cleanup Windows XP