disk cleanup

Tags:
  • Disk Cleanup
  • Windows XP
June 24, 2005 11:02:01 AM

I am planning to download and install Office service pack 3 and Windows
service pack 2. It was recommended, that before I do, to resolve any
computer issues. So I ran virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I
decided to use the desk cleanup program.

After ten mins... there is still only 3 green "chiclets". "Disk Cleanup is
calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:) . This may take a
few minutes to complete. Calculating... Scanning: Compress old files".

My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free Space: 27.1GB and
Total Size: 37.2 GB

Any suggestions?

More about : disk cleanup

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:18:05 PM

Hi,

Be patient, give it time to calculate.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

blondiesque wrote:
> I am planning to download and install Office service pack
> 3 and Windows service pack 2. It was recommended, that
> before I do, to resolve any computer issues. So I ran
> virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I decided to
> use the desk cleanup program.
>
> After ten mins... there is still only 3 green "chiclets".
> "Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be
> able to free on (C:) . This may take a few minutes to
> complete. Calculating... Scanning: Compress old
> files".
>
> My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free
> Space: 27.1GB and Total Size: 37.2 GB
>
> Any suggestions?
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:18:06 PM

While being impatient...

I cancelled the disk clean up and tried the disk defragementer utility. No
problem analyzing and defragmenting... from 71% to 72%!

What is the difference between the two utilities? If I start the disk
cleanup again should the compression time be shorter?

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Be patient, give it time to calculate.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> blondiesque wrote:
> > I am planning to download and install Office service pack
> > 3 and Windows service pack 2. It was recommended, that
> > before I do, to resolve any computer issues. So I ran
> > virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I decided to
> > use the desk cleanup program.
> >
> > After ten mins... there is still only 3 green "chiclets".
> > "Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be
> > able to free on (C:) . This may take a few minutes to
> > complete. Calculating... Scanning: Compress old
> > files".
> >
> > My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free
> > Space: 27.1GB and Total Size: 37.2 GB
> >
> > Any suggestions?

June 24, 2005 3:45:44 PM

Hi,

Look a Will Denny's reply to you with a possible fix for Disk Cleanup.

When you are saving files, the file is not necessarily saved as an
entire file or folder in a contiguous space. The files are saved in
the first available space on a drive. After a large portion of the
drive has been used for file and folder storage, most of the new files
are saved in pieces across the drive. When you delete files or
folders, the empty spaces left behind fill in randomly as you store
new ones.
Disk Defragmenter consolidates fragmented files and folders on your
computer's hard disk, so that each occupies a single, contiguous space
on the volume As a result, your system can gain access to your files
and folders and save new ones more efficiently.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312

--

blondiesque wrote:
> While being impatient...
>
> I cancelled the disk clean up and tried the disk
> defragementer utility. No problem analyzing and
> defragmenting... from 71% to 72%!
>
> What is the difference between the two utilities? If I
> start the disk cleanup again should the compression time
> be shorter?
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Be patient, give it time to calculate.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> blondiesque wrote:
>>> I am planning to download and install Office service
>>> pack 3 and Windows service pack 2. It was recommended,
>>> that before I do, to resolve any computer issues. So I
>>> ran virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I
>>> decided to use the desk cleanup program.
>>>
>>> After ten mins... there is still only 3 green
>>> "chiclets". "Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space
>>> you will be able to free on (C:) . This may take a few
>>> minutes to complete. Calculating... Scanning:
>>> Compress old files".
>>>
>>> My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free
>>> Space: 27.1GB and Total Size: 37.2 GB
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 7:19:44 PM

Hi

Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:

"Why does Disk Cleanup freeze?"

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"blondiesque" <blondiesque@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 55B7576-6485-476A-BBD2-1C1B1432F1E3@microsoft.com...
>I am planning to download and install Office service pack 3 and Windows
> service pack 2. It was recommended, that before I do, to resolve any
> computer issues. So I ran virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I
> decided to use the desk cleanup program.
>
> After ten mins... there is still only 3 green "chiclets". "Disk Cleanup
> is
> calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:) . This may
> take a
> few minutes to complete. Calculating... Scanning: Compress old files".
>
> My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free Space: 27.1GB and
> Total Size: 37.2 GB
>
> Any suggestions?

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 7:19:45 PM

Thanks for all your help and advice.
I used the file at
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm ; (line 48, right-hand
column -->Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freeze

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:
>
> "Why does Disk Cleanup freeze?"
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "blondiesque" <blondiesque@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 55B7576-6485-476A-BBD2-1C1B1432F1E3@microsoft.com...
> >I am planning to download and install Office service pack 3 and Windows
> > service pack 2. It was recommended, that before I do, to resolve any
> > computer issues. So I ran virus, spyware, and adware programs. Then, I
> > decided to use the desk cleanup program.
> >
> > After ten mins... there is still only 3 green "chiclets". "Disk Cleanup
> > is
> > calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:) . This may
> > take a
> > few minutes to complete. Calculating... Scanning: Compress old files".
> >
> > My laptop's OS is Miccrosoft Windows XP Pro 2002. Free Space: 27.1GB and
> > Total Size: 37.2 GB
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 4:26:42 PM

You may have to wait a year or so for it to work. So try to be patient.

Noone knows the cause. But each time it hangs it hangs at a different part of the drive. I left mine with the problem for a year while I tried to discover the cause. A couple of months ago I loaded it in a debugger to have another go and the problem had solved itself.

!