Windows 7 lag in games

Last response: in Video Games
February 5, 2012 10:09:03 AM

I have Asus n75sf laptop

8gb of ram

I7 2630QM quad core 2.00ghz

Geforce Gt555m 2gb

1.5 tb of HDD

I play games like dirt 3 and it doesnt lag on hoghest setting but when i try games like frets on fire or dig n rig it lags even with lowest resolution help

More about : windows lag games

a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2012 10:16:46 AM

see the story on toms about Mobile vs dekstop GPU's. Not sure how bad a 555M is, but it won't be great. Different games require different amounts and types of GPU power, because one runs doesn't mean all will. I've never even heard of the two games you've menioned. Are there settings you can reduce other than resolution? I'm assuming you are playing this when plugged in, and not on battery?
m
l
February 5, 2012 11:06:36 AM

I'm not sure what version of windows you have (or linux) but you might want to set your power settings (when your gaming) to performance, this might help a little bit (but not much) one thing you can try is to close other programs down that use resources. like browsers (now have hardware acceleration) so they will use up a chunk of of your video resources as well (for instance when you have a video open this will cut your FPS down by like half in games) and make sure you don't have any hard disk intensive things running. any more info you can provide? latest driver and stuff i take it?
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2012 2:35:14 PM

It's your CPU. Some games heavily rely on your CPU, and some rely heavily on your graphics card. I'm not sure if it's true though.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2012 9:28:52 PM

daftygreg14 said:
I have Asus n75sf laptop

8gb of ram

I7 2630QM quad core 2.00ghz

Geforce Gt555m 2gb

1.5 tb of HDD

I play games like dirt 3 and it doesnt lag on hoghest setting but when i try games like frets on fire or dig n rig it lags even with lowest resolution help

The GT555m is a mobile GPU that is not that powerful. It can not run all game at highest settings. Because games are heavily GPU dependent.

Second, games differ greatly with their settings. High settings for one game are going to be greatly different from another game set to "high" as well.

Thirdly, in regards to specifically the games you mentioned, they seem to be indie and open source. Which means they may not be completely optimized to work with your specific hardware. Update your drivers and do as someone else already suggested and make sure your power settings are set to performance. As they may be using more of CPU (also as someone else already mentioned) and your laptop may be down throttling your CPU due to power settings.
m
l
!