Large files and performance

June 24, 2005 1:20:01 PM

Does having allot of large files (movies 600MB+) affect HD performance?
I have at least 20 movie files of 600MB or more on my DELL 8400 and the
performance has been degrading lately.

Applying what I know about clustering and fragmentation, I am only assuming
that data access my always skip over these larger consecutive clusters.

My drive is formatted in NTFS and I have 512 MB of RAM with a P4 3.0
Hyper-threading.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:40:26 PM

In a word: No. The movies do not increase the fragmentation of your hard
disk (so long as you're not editing them); they're more likely to be stored
in one continuous block.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does having allot of large files (movies 600MB+) affect HD performance?
> I have at least 20 movie files of 600MB or more on my DELL 8400 and the
> performance has been degrading lately.
>
> Applying what I know about clustering and fragmentation, I am only
assuming
> that data access my always skip over these larger consecutive clusters.
>
> My drive is formatted in NTFS and I have 512 MB of RAM with a P4 3.0
> Hyper-threading.

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:53:20 PM

"Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does having allot of large files (movies 600MB+) affect HD performance?
>I have at least 20 movie files of 600MB or more on my DELL 8400 and the
>performance has been degrading lately.
>
>Applying what I know about clustering and fragmentation, I am only assuming
>that data access my always skip over these larger consecutive clusters.
>
>My drive is formatted in NTFS and I have 512 MB of RAM with a P4 3.0
>Hyper-threading.

As your hard drive gets filled up the drive head mechanism will be
traversing longer distances as it moves between the various items on
the drive. Longer distances mean increased time and to that extent
performance will be affected. But this is a function of the total
amount of data on the drive not the size of the individual files.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:37:43 PM

"" wrote:
> "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Does having allot of large files (movies 600MB+) affect HD
> performance?
> >I have at least 20 movie files of 600MB or more on my DELL
> 8400 and the
> >performance has been degrading lately.
> >
> >Applying what I know about clustering and fragmentation, I am
> only assuming
> >that data access my always skip over these larger consecutive
> clusters.
> >
> >My drive is formatted in NTFS and I have 512 MB of RAM with a
> P4 3.0
> >Hyper-threading.
>
> As your hard drive gets filled up the drive head mechanism
> will be
> traversing longer distances as it moves between the various
> items on
> the drive. Longer distances mean increased time and to that
> extent
> performance will be affected. But this is a function of the
> total
> amount of data on the drive not the size of the individual
> files.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

It would anyways be a gud idea to defragment regularly or keep the
fragmentation levels under check.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Perform-Maintain-Large-fil...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1754301
!