random shutdown/crash

I am plagued by random crashes.

First my computer started crashing during scheduled scan using McAfee 2004
ver. 8

Now it crashes when I manually tell it to scan and at other random times
when I'm just doing "regular work".

After several discussions with McAfee they say the problem is with my
Windows XP Pro because the system also crashed when they were doing the free
scan from their website. It has also crashed during a free scan from
Symantec.

I disabled automatic restart and now sometimes get a "blue screen of death"
but mostly it just shuts off.

It will also crash in Safe Mode.

PLEASE HELP

There have been different ones:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Tech Info:
*** Stop: 0x0000000A (0xFFFFFFFC, 0x000000FF, 0x00000001, 0x804DE975
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Tech Info:
*** Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000005, 0x00000000, 0XF7D89542)
*** nvarm.sys - Address F7D89542 base at F7D88000, Datestamp 4179548d
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: NV 4_disp.dll.

Tech Info:
Stop: 0x00000050 (0xE3B145B7, 0x00000000, 0xBF90749A, 0x00000002)
Address BF9D749A base at BF9D3000, Datestamp 4061d5ac

"droogsdad" wrote:

> I am plagued by random crashes.
>
> First my computer started crashing during scheduled scan using McAfee 2004
> ver. 8
>
> Now it crashes when I manually tell it to scan and at other random times
> when I'm just doing "regular work".
>
> After several discussions with McAfee they say the problem is with my
> Windows XP Pro because the system also crashed when they were doing the free
> scan from their website. It has also crashed during a free scan from
> Symantec.
>
> I disabled automatic restart and now sometimes get a "blue screen of death"
> but mostly it just shuts off.
>
> It will also crash in Safe Mode.
>
> PLEASE HELP

If you can see the blue screen, post back with the error code (a hex number
that begins with 0x000...) and the title of the error (LOOKS_LIKE_THIS).

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"droogsdad" <droogsdad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am plagued by random crashes.
>
> First my computer started crashing during scheduled scan using McAfee 2004
> ver. 8
>
> Now it crashes when I manually tell it to scan and at other random times
> when I'm just doing "regular work".
>
> After several discussions with McAfee they say the problem is with my
> Windows XP Pro because the system also crashed when they were doing the
free
> scan from their website. It has also crashed during a free scan from
> Symantec.
>
> I disabled automatic restart and now sometimes get a "blue screen of
death"
> but mostly it just shuts off.
>
> It will also crash in Safe Mode.
>
> PLEASE HELP

NV4_disp.dll is part of the driver for your nVidia-based video card.

"Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A error in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314063

Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles On Stop: 0x000000D1
http://tinyurl.com/bdrbm

--

> There have been different ones:
>
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
> Tech Info:
> *** Stop: 0x0000000A (0xFFFFFFFC, 0x000000FF, 0x00000001,
0x804DE975
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
> Tech Info:
> *** Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000005, 0x00000000,
0XF7D89542)
> *** nvarm.sys - Address F7D89542 base at F7D88000, Datestamp
4179548d
> The problem seems to be caused by the following file: NV 4_disp.dll.
>
> Tech Info:
> Stop: 0x00000050 (0xE3B145B7, 0x00000000, 0xBF90749A, 0x00000002)
> Address BF9D749A base at BF9D3000, Datestamp 4061d5ac
>
> "droogsdad" wrote:
>
> > I am plagued by random crashes.
> >
> > First my computer started crashing during scheduled scan using McAfee
2004
> > ver. 8
> >
> > Now it crashes when I manually tell it to scan and at other random times
> > when I'm just doing "regular work".
> >
> > After several discussions with McAfee they say the problem is with my
> > Windows XP Pro because the system also crashed when they were doing the
free
> > scan from their website. It has also crashed during a free scan from
> > Symantec.
> >
> > I disabled automatic restart and now sometimes get a "blue screen of
death"
> > but mostly it just shuts off.
> >
> > It will also crash in Safe Mode.
> >
> > PLEASE HELP

It just blue screen crashed again..........it's something different every time

STOP 0x0000008E (0x0000001D, 0xBF83540C, oxF3A624E8, 0x00000000)

win32k.sys - AddressBF83540C base at BF800000

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> [...]

> Tech Info:
> Stop: 0x00000050 (0xE3B145B7, 0x00000000, 0xBF90749A, 0x00000002)
> Address BF9D749A base at BF9D3000, Datestamp 4061d5ac
>
> "droogsdad" wrote:
>
>> I am plagued by random crashes.
>>
>> First my computer started crashing during scheduled scan using McAfee
>> 2004
>> ver. 8
>>
>> Now it crashes when I manually tell it to scan and at other random times
>> when I'm just doing "regular work".
>>
>> After several discussions with McAfee they say the problem is with my
>> Windows XP Pro because the system also crashed when they were doing the
>> free
>> scan from their website. It has also crashed during a free scan from
>> Symantec.
>>
>> I disabled automatic restart and now sometimes get a "blue screen of

Go to www.memtest.org and download memtest86+ to test your ram. These are
the classic symptoms of bad ram. Eliminate that possibility before chasing
after a software problem that might not exist.

Kerry

KERRY,
THE MEMTEST86+ IS NOT VERY CLEAR ON INSTRUCTIONS...I ASSUME DO A
BENCHMARK AND HARDWARE TEST...???
"droogsdad" wrote:

> I am plagued by random crashes.
>
> First my computer started crashing during scheduled scan using McAfee 2004
> ver. 8
>
> Now it crashes when I manually tell it to scan and at other random times
> when I'm just doing "regular work".
>
> After several discussions with McAfee they say the problem is with my
> Windows XP Pro because the system also crashed when they were doing the free
> scan from their website. It has also crashed during a free scan from
> Symantec.
>
> I disabled automatic restart and now sometimes get a "blue screen of death"
> but mostly it just shuts off.
>
> It will also crash in Safe Mode.
>
> PLEASE HELP

Download a bootable CD image and burn it or download a floppy disk image.
Boot from the CD or floppy and it will run automatically. Let it run for
several hours or until errors show up. If no errors show up after several
hours that is not the problem.

Kerry

> KERRY,
> THE MEMTEST86+ IS NOT VERY CLEAR ON INSTRUCTIONS...I ASSUME DO A
> BENCHMARK AND HARDWARE TEST...???
> "droogsdad" wrote:
>
>> I am plagued by random crashes.
>>
>> First my computer started crashing during scheduled scan using McAfee
>> 2004
>> ver. 8
>>
>> Now it crashes when I manually tell it to scan and at other random times
>> when I'm just doing "regular work".
>>
>> After several discussions with McAfee they say the problem is with my
>> Windows XP Pro because the system also crashed when they were doing the
>> free
>> scan from their website. It has also crashed during a free scan from
>> Symantec.
>>
>> I disabled automatic restart and now sometimes get a "blue screen of
>> death"
>> but mostly it just shuts off.
>>
>> It will also crash in Safe Mode.
>>
>> PLEASE HELP

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:OVZeIbbeFHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Kerry Brown <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> had this to say:

> Download a bootable CD image and burn it or download a floppy disk
> image. Boot from the CD or floppy and it will run automatically. Let
> it run for several hours or until errors show up. If no errors show
> up after several hours that is not the problem.
>
> Kerry

On the off-chance that it's not a bad stick of RAM (and the symptoms would
suggest that as being where I'd start to troubleshoot as well so I'm in
complete agreement with Kerry) you may find this site, though a bit vague,
of use to you. At some parts the article it is pretty vague (diagnosing stop
errors is more like voodoo than technical at times) and at others rather
technical so I tend to give it out as a generic guideline.

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

There is a great deal of information on the site and there's countless links
from it. It is likely that it will seem a bit overwhelming at first but
going down through it carefully (with a hot mug of coffee most likely)
should get you an answer eventually. One thing to try, having read your
other answers, might also be to try a different driver for your video card.
Head to the nvidia site (I think it's just plain nvidia.com) and grab the
latest driver package for your card. It's usually a rather large download
with drivers for a number of different cards or versions but it's better to
get the drivers from their site (they're usually updated more frequently)
than to get them from the Microsoft site.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

I LET IT RUN ALL NIGHT....ALMOST 16 HRS....THERE WERE NO ERRORS

>I LET IT RUN ALL NIGHT....ALMOST 16 HRS....THERE WERE NO ERRORS

That eliminates one possibility. This is a good thing. You now need to read
through the link Galen provided and proceed onto troubleshooting other
possibilties.

Kerry

> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:OVZeIbbeFHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> Kerry Brown <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> had this to say:

>> > Download a bootable CD image and burn it or download a floppy disk
>> > image. Boot from the CD or floppy and it will run automatically. Let
>> > it run for several hours or until errors show up. If no errors show
>> > up after several hours that is not the problem.
>> >
>> > Kerry
>>
>> On the off-chance that it's not a bad stick of RAM (and the symptoms
>> would
>> suggest that as being where I'd start to troubleshoot as well so I'm in
>> complete agreement with Kerry) you may find this site, though a bit
>> vague,
>> of use to you. At some parts the article it is pretty vague (diagnosing
>> stop
>> errors is more like voodoo than technical at times) and at others rather
>> technical so I tend to give it out as a generic guideline.
>>
>> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>>
>> There is a great deal of information on the site and there's countless
>> links
>> from it. It is likely that it will seem a bit overwhelming at first but
>> going down through it carefully (with a hot mug of coffee most likely)
>> should get you an answer eventually. One thing to try, having read your
>> other answers, might also be to try a different driver for your video
>> card.
>> Head to the nvidia site (I think it's just plain nvidia.com) and grab the
>> latest driver package for your card. It's usually a rather large download
>> with drivers for a number of different cards or versions but it's better
>> get the drivers from their site (they're usually updated more frequently)
>> than to get them from the Microsoft site.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
>> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
>> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
>> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

Will you stop snipping posts. You have no right to edit the historical record.

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:u1cM6vfeFHA.3700@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In news:OVZeIbbeFHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Kerry Brown <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> had this to say:

>> Download a bootable CD image and burn it or download a floppy disk
>> image. Boot from the CD or floppy and it will run automatically. Let
>> it run for several hours or until errors show up. If no errors show
>> up after several hours that is not the problem.
>>
>> Kerry
>
> On the off-chance that it's not a bad stick of RAM (and the symptoms would
> suggest that as being where I'd start to troubleshoot as well so I'm in
> complete agreement with Kerry) you may find this site, though a bit vague,
> of use to you. At some parts the article it is pretty vague (diagnosing stop
> errors is more like voodoo than technical at times) and at others rather
> technical so I tend to give it out as a generic guideline.
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>
> There is a great deal of information on the site and there's countless links
> from it. It is likely that it will seem a bit overwhelming at first but
> going down through it carefully (with a hot mug of coffee most likely)
> should get you an answer eventually. One thing to try, having read your
> other answers, might also be to try a different driver for your video card.
> Head to the nvidia site (I think it's just plain nvidia.com) and grab the
> latest driver package for your card. It's usually a rather large download
> with drivers for a number of different cards or versions but it's better to
> get the drivers from their site (they're usually updated more frequently)
> than to get them from the Microsoft site.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23N8AWeyeFHA.1036@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> had this to say:

> Will you stop snipping posts. You have no right to edit the
> historical record.

Me? I'm not sure if you refer to me or not. If you mean me and my snips then
no. I will continue to snip out non-pertinant information. If more people
would do so then a lot of these silly large (and often pointless) messages
would not be here. Most people haven't time nor inclination to scroll
through countless lines of pointless text, they want to know the reason for
the post in as short amount of time as possible and to see if the answer is
valid or applies to their specific case.

As for your assertation that you've taught anyone anything, see your other
message about having educated someone about troubleshooting stop messages, I
can't recollect you having taught me anything and while I hate to do so I am
afraid I'll not see any more of your posts in the future so I doubt you'll
have the chance to teach me anything.

One final bit before I close and send this. I have no right? Err... I have
every right in the world to keep things neat and tidy. I feel it's my
obligation to keep things in order on my part and to wish that the rest of
the world did. Your rights end at the end of your nose, or so they say,
which means that they don't extend to my posts. You haven't the right to
determine how one can post. You haven't the ability to say who can and who
can't do anything - more so due to your inability to be respected. One can
not be vulger and rude and then expect that people will actually listen to
them. You can't put forth ideas and then act irresponsible and expect to
gather support or respect.

I am not the type to be confrontational so I'll happily just set the magical
killfile to address this issue in the future. Perhaps you'll have taken the
time to grow a little before I've removed your name from the penalty box or
perhaps you'll end up in it once again.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

You aew a grade A wanker.

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:u1cM6vfeFHA.3700@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In news:OVZeIbbeFHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Kerry Brown <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> had this to say:

>> Download a bootable CD image and burn it or download a floppy disk
>> image. Boot from the CD or floppy and it will run automatically. Let
>> it run for several hours or until errors show up. If no errors show
>> up after several hours that is not the problem.
>>
>> Kerry
>
> On the off-chance that it's not a bad stick of RAM (and the symptoms would
> suggest that as being where I'd start to troubleshoot as well so I'm in
> complete agreement with Kerry) you may find this site, though a bit vague,
> of use to you. At some parts the article it is pretty vague (diagnosing stop
> errors is more like voodoo than technical at times) and at others rather
> technical so I tend to give it out as a generic guideline.
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>
> There is a great deal of information on the site and there's countless links
> from it. It is likely that it will seem a bit overwhelming at first but
> going down through it carefully (with a hot mug of coffee most likely)
> should get you an answer eventually. One thing to try, having read your
> other answers, might also be to try a different driver for your video card.
> Head to the nvidia site (I think it's just plain nvidia.com) and grab the
> latest driver package for your card. It's usually a rather large download
> with drivers for a number of different cards or versions but it's better to
> get the drivers from their site (they're usually updated more frequently)
> than to get them from the Microsoft site.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Your video memory isn't tested though.

Choose VGA mode on the Boot menu (press F8 while booting) and see if errors still occur.

Then if they do type verifier in Start Run, forget previous errors, and post the FULL error message. Make sure you are set to record minidumps (Small Memory Dumps) - type it in Help to see how. If you can't boot after choosing Verifier choose Last Known Good at the Failed Boot menu.

"droogsdad" <droogsdad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CE0BB87D-AE13-49F9-AA55-2E749C15A32A@microsoft.com...
>I LET IT RUN ALL NIGHT....ALMOST 16 HRS....THERE WERE NO ERRORS
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:OVZeIbbeFHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> Kerry Brown <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> had this to say:

>> > Download a bootable CD image and burn it or download a floppy disk
>> > image. Boot from the CD or floppy and it will run automatically. Let
>> > it run for several hours or until errors show up. If no errors show
>> > up after several hours that is not the problem.
>> >
>> > Kerry
>>
>> On the off-chance that it's not a bad stick of RAM (and the symptoms would
>> suggest that as being where I'd start to troubleshoot as well so I'm in
>> complete agreement with Kerry) you may find this site, though a bit vague,
>> of use to you. At some parts the article it is pretty vague (diagnosing stop
>> errors is more like voodoo than technical at times) and at others rather
>> technical so I tend to give it out as a generic guideline.
>>
>> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>>
>> There is a great deal of information on the site and there's countless links
>> from it. It is likely that it will seem a bit overwhelming at first but
>> going down through it carefully (with a hot mug of coffee most likely)
>> should get you an answer eventually. One thing to try, having read your
>> other answers, might also be to try a different driver for your video card.
>> Head to the nvidia site (I think it's just plain nvidia.com) and grab the
>> latest driver package for your card. It's usually a rather large download
>> with drivers for a number of different cards or versions but it's better to
>> get the drivers from their site (they're usually updated more frequently)
>> than to get them from the Microsoft site.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
>> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
>> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
>> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

You made him waste 16 hours on some theory of magical solutions because you don't know how to TS a stop error. Then to prevent anyone else helping you remove the information from the thread.

I taught you a number of times how to troubleshoot. But you refuse to prefering magic things.

Dogfshit or whatever your name is. Get frogs blood and a virgin's med and drink it. It will be as he;lpful as this idiot;s advice.

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:u1cM6vfeFHA.3700@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In news:OVZeIbbeFHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Kerry Brown <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> had this to say:

>> Download a bootable CD image and burn it or download a floppy disk
>> image. Boot from the CD or floppy and it will run automatically. Let
>> it run for several hours or until errors show up. If no errors show
>> up after several hours that is not the problem.
>>
>> Kerry
>
> On the off-chance that it's not a bad stick of RAM (and the symptoms would
> suggest that as being where I'd start to troubleshoot as well so I'm in
> complete agreement with Kerry) you may find this site, though a bit vague,
> of use to you. At some parts the article it is pretty vague (diagnosing stop
> errors is more like voodoo than technical at times) and at others rather
> technical so I tend to give it out as a generic guideline.
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>
> There is a great deal of information on the site and there's countless links
> from it. It is likely that it will seem a bit overwhelming at first but
> going down through it carefully (with a hot mug of coffee most likely)
> should get you an answer eventually. One thing to try, having read your
> other answers, might also be to try a different driver for your video card.
> Head to the nvidia site (I think it's just plain nvidia.com) and grab the
> latest driver package for your card. It's usually a rather large download
> with drivers for a number of different cards or versions but it's better to
> get the drivers from their site (they're usually updated more frequently)
> than to get them from the Microsoft site.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

WELL GUYS I GUESS I NEED TO APOLOGIZE FOR WASTING ALL YOUR TIME..........

My son came home from college and installed ASUS Probe ............

Seems my CPU was running 149 degrees and my box desperately needed a good
"blow job".......

After dusting it out and installing an extra chassis fan, I have been "ivory
soap" that is......... 99 44/100% trouble free............

> WELL GUYS I GUESS I NEED TO APOLOGIZE FOR WASTING ALL YOUR TIME..........
>
> My son came home from college and installed ASUS Probe ............
>
> Seems my CPU was running 149 degrees and my box desperately needed a good
> "blow job".......
>
> After dusting it out and installing an extra chassis fan, I have been
> "ivory
> soap" that is......... 99 44/100% trouble free............

Glad you got it working.

Kerry