browser speed

June 24, 2005 7:09:08 PM

I have just changed isp's to Sympatico Ultra High Speed. I have three
browsers installed on my pc - Opera, IE, and K-Meleon(Mozilla). Opera is
supposed to be the fastest browser going, but on my pc now it's the slowest,
and I mean slow. Using the toast speed test set at text and image it is
half the speed of the other two. I have contacted Opera and they say it
must be some limiting factor with Sympatico. I have contacted Sympatico and
they say they only support IE. I find it incredible that Opera runs so slow
with Sympatico and no one seems to know why. Can someone here offer any
assistance/solutions? Thanks.

More about : browser speed

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:15:04 PM

Victor wrote:
> I have just changed isp's to Sympatico Ultra High Speed. I have three
> browsers installed on my pc - Opera, IE, and K-Meleon(Mozilla).
> Opera is supposed to be the fastest browser going, but on my pc now
> it's the slowest, and I mean slow. Using the toast speed test set
> at text and image it is half the speed of the other two. I have
> contacted Opera and they say it must be some limiting factor with
> Sympatico. I have contacted Sympatico and they say they only support
> IE. I find it incredible that Opera runs so slow with Sympatico and
> no one seems to know why. Can someone here offer any
> assistance/solutions? Thanks.

You went to the two groups you needed to, however, for any ISP to say they
"only support XXXX browser" is ludicrous.
Truthfully - you were blown off. They don't *support* any browser - they
are providing you with a connection to the Internet. It is like saying they
"only support Windows" -- total BS because they cannot answer your
question - not that they have to - I doubt it is their fault.

Simply install Opera onto a another system hooked tot he Internet - is it
better - then it is a problem with your system.
If it is not - then hook your PC to a friends (non-Sympatico) Internet for a
trial - is it better? If not - still something wrong with your PC. heh

As for Opera being "the fastest browser" - depending on what you are using
it for there are faster browsers out there. Besides - it's a tactic for the
most part.. and only compares to Netscape and Internet Explorer really.

" Opera makes what it calls "the fastest browser on earth" compared to its
much more popular counterparts -- Netscape's Navigator and Microsoft's
Internet Explorer. Hvistendahl said Opera can make such a claim because it
comes down to efficient coding. "We follow the international Internet
standards and we are very particular about the efficiency of our code," he
said. "

Anyway - it sounds like a system issue more than a ISP issue -- however, if
you feel it is an ISP issue - complain and switch.. You said you just
switched anyway.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP