browser speed

I have just changed isp's to Sympatico Ultra High Speed. I have three
browsers installed on my pc - Opera, IE, and K-Meleon(Mozilla). Opera is
supposed to be the fastest browser going, but on my pc now it's the slowest,
and I mean slow. Using the toast speed test set at text and image it is
half the speed of the other two. I have contacted Opera and they say it
must be some limiting factor with Sympatico. I have contacted Sympatico and
they say they only support IE. I find it incredible that Opera runs so slow
with Sympatico and no one seems to know why. Can someone here offer any
assistance/solutions? Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about browser speed

    Victor wrote:
    > I have just changed isp's to Sympatico Ultra High Speed. I have three
    > browsers installed on my pc - Opera, IE, and K-Meleon(Mozilla).
    > Opera is supposed to be the fastest browser going, but on my pc now
    > it's the slowest, and I mean slow. Using the toast speed test set
    > at text and image it is half the speed of the other two. I have
    > contacted Opera and they say it must be some limiting factor with
    > Sympatico. I have contacted Sympatico and they say they only support
    > IE. I find it incredible that Opera runs so slow with Sympatico and
    > no one seems to know why. Can someone here offer any
    > assistance/solutions? Thanks.

    You went to the two groups you needed to, however, for any ISP to say they
    "only support XXXX browser" is ludicrous.
    Truthfully - you were blown off. They don't *support* any browser - they
    are providing you with a connection to the Internet. It is like saying they
    "only support Windows" -- total BS because they cannot answer your
    question - not that they have to - I doubt it is their fault.

    Simply install Opera onto a another system hooked tot he Internet - is it
    better - then it is a problem with your system.
    If it is not - then hook your PC to a friends (non-Sympatico) Internet for a
    trial - is it better? If not - still something wrong with your PC. heh

    As for Opera being "the fastest browser" - depending on what you are using
    it for there are faster browsers out there. Besides - it's a tactic for the
    most part.. and only compares to Netscape and Internet Explorer really.

    " Opera makes what it calls "the fastest browser on earth" compared to its
    much more popular counterparts -- Netscape's Navigator and Microsoft's
    Internet Explorer. Hvistendahl said Opera can make such a claim because it
    comes down to efficient coding. "We follow the international Internet
    standards and we are very particular about the efficiency of our code," he
    said. "

    Anyway - it sounds like a system issue more than a ISP issue -- however, if
    you feel it is an ISP issue - complain and switch.. You said you just
    switched anyway.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

Opera Internet Explorer Internet Service Providers Browsers Windows XP